Calls between Home and 1st

Guest UmpireGuy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1398 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest UmpireGuy

Had the play recently happen in a game in a 2-man crew.

Runners and 1st and 2nd, base guys is in C.  Batter bunts the ball down 1st base line plate umpire has moved to make the foul/fair call.  The pitcher fields the ball and attempts to tag the batter-runner on the back.

Question:  Who has the responsibility to the initial call, base ump or plate?  Is there a point between home and 1st/3rd that the plate ump will have the initial call responsibilities and then it pass to the base ump?  I.E. the plate ump has this responsibility up to the running lane?

Thanks,

9 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Guest UmpireGuy said:

Had the play recently happen in a game in a 2-man crew.

Runners and 1st and 2nd, base guys is in C.  Batter bunts the ball down 1st base line plate umpire has moved to make the foul/fair call.  The pitcher fields the ball and attempts to tag the batter-runner on the back.

Question:  Who has the responsibility to the initial call, base ump or plate?  Is there a point between home and 1st/3rd that the plate ump will have the initial call responsibilities and then it pass to the base ump?  I.E. the plate ump has this responsibility up to the running lane?

Thanks,

Pregame this. We usually use the 45-foot line as our delineation, but we rarely use it. This is where the pregame comes in. The general rule is that on plays between home and the cutout, we're going to make eye contact as we process what we saw. If it was a tag, whoever had the tag in front of them will indicate they're taking it. The 45-foot line only comes in when neither have anything definitive and that's who's going to make the safe call.

Guest UmpireGuy

Matt...Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, this situation feel through the cracks during pregame (will not again).  As far as the 45-foot delineation that is what I thinking and finally found the umpire school manual for 2 man that I was looking for that states the same thing.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Guest UmpireGuy said:

Matt...Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, this situation feel through the cracks during pregame (will not again).  As far as the 45-foot delineation that is what I thinking and finally found the umpire school manual for 2 man that I was looking for that states the same thing.

Thanks again.

I ran into this situation early in my career while working with a more senior umpire. We paused, looked at each other and then both signaled out. Phew. We post-gamed it and since that time, I have included in my pre-game. If working the bases and my pu partner doesn't bring it up, I do.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:03 PM, LMSANS said:

I ran into this situation early in my career while working with a more senior umpire. We paused, looked at each other and then both signaled out. Phew. We post-gamed it and since that time, I have included in my pre-game. If working the bases and my pu partner doesn't bring it up, I do.

Just curious...how many general scenarios do you discuss?  How long does a pregame conversation take, generally speaking?  And how often do you run into partners that aren't interested?

Just curious...how many general scenarios do you discuss?  How long does a pregame conversation take, generally speaking?  And how often do you run into partners that aren't interested?

My pregame will take 15 - 20 minutes, while dressing.
About 30% of my partners don’t care. Half of the rest will follow my lead and the rest will fully participate.
I try to walk through each BU position with different runner scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

I think in this situation it would be the base umpires call on a tag before first base.  I believe the plate umpire might be first baseline extended so he can see both fair foul and the runners touch of 3rd base if he were to attempt to run home.  This is a good time for the coach to implement the Mississippi power play where the runner from second just runs across the field missing 3rd altogether.  

4 hours ago, umpstu said:

I think in this situation it would be the base umpires call on a tag before first base.  I believe the plate umpire might be first baseline extended so he can see both fair foul and the runners touch of 3rd base if he were to attempt to run home.  This is a good time for the coach to implement the Mississippi power play where the runner from second just runs across the field missing 3rd altogether.  

Might be, might not be BU's. BU might have fielder-tag-runner and be blocked out. Might be a swipe tag on the side of BR. Both need to know the situation and do their best to assist their partner's primary.

I agree it's a pre-game set up.  The PU will normally NOT make any calls going to 1B EXCEPT Fair/Foul or Interference.  But a cool way to do this is for the BU to say, "Do you have a tag?"   PU:  "Yes I do!"  BU"  "On the tag, he's out!"  It looks like you rehearsed it, but you look good doing it.  Of course, if the BU had the tag anyway, he can call it right away.

Mike

Las Vegas