Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike P.

appeal

Question

Guest Mike P.

Runner on 1st. no outs, ground ball to deep short who throws to second for force out; second baseman catches ball while running towards short but misses bag and then touches before runner gets to bag standing up. There was no attempt by second baseman to throw to first, the defensive team started to lobby for the batter runner to be called out as well; I ruled that there was no attempt to make a play at first nor was there any contact by the runner going to second so essentially the fielder gave up on the double play.  Right call or not, is there any grey area with that call?

8 answers to this question

Guest Mike P.

Just the fact that B/Runner should be called out as well according too rule !

Just now, Guest Mike P. said:

Just the fact that B/Runner should be called out as well according too rule !

What rule? You mean they weren't claiming interference?

I'm grokking that R1 went into 2B standing up as F6 was stabbing his foot toward the base. Perhaps there was a little contact as R1 arrived. F6's foot arrived first.

Unless the local rules include the infamous "must slide" rule, no rule in any national code requires a runner to slide. This is nothing.

And when the defense screws up an easy double play like this, I'm not bailing them out with a bogus call: R1 would have to do something pretty substantial and obvious (two-arm shove, for instance) to draw an INT call here.

• Like 2

Guest Mike P.

Nope, Just how the rule is written: thats why I was asking about any grey area that others may have experienced ? Mens league 28 and over looking for every call they can get.

Guest Mike told you what rule ... it’s under “The Batter-Runner Should Be Called Out As Well Rule.”  Very common rule when dealing with whiny adult leagues.  :beerbang

Good call Guest Mike!  Now join the site and become a regular!  :hi5:

20 hours ago, Guest Mike P. said:

Nope, Just how the rule is written: thats why I was asking about any grey area that others may have experienced ? Mens league 28 and over looking for every call they can get.

What rule set is this league played under so we have a better idea of what FPSR you are speaking of...

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this