Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2669 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Do we have a miss here? If not, what part of the rule made R2s actions legal? 

Seems like the Auburn coach has a point. Slide or get out of the way. I don't think the NCAA wants infielders throwing baseballs through the chest or face of a baserunner who doesn't get down or out of the way. What says the group? 

 

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 9.52.57 AM.jpg

Posted

I was citing the rule in my head (the "must slide" part especially) when I watched this live last night.  I was very surprised it did not go to review since FPSR fits under that umbrella and the CC was the third base umpire and could have initiated it right away.  That was too big a situation not to take a look and make sure 100% they got it right (IF they got it right).  

  • Like 1
Posted

The (or at least my) general interp is that the runner needs to slide if he's close enough to the bag where he normally would slide.  I'm not sure that's the case here (but it's close).  And, given that he ducked anyway, a "normal" throw would not have been interfered with.

Posted
28 minutes ago, noumpere said:

The (or at least my) general interp is that the runner needs to slide if he's close enough to the bag where he normally would slide.  I'm not sure that's the case here (but it's close).  And, given that he ducked anyway, a "normal" throw would not have been interfered with.

Then he needs to veer away if sliding doesn't make sense. I don't think ducking is a legal part of the rule. I think that puts too much on the defense to wonder if he's going slide, duck, or get out of the way. The rule reads pretty clear. Paraphrasing: Slide or get out of the way. 

Guarantee, if there isn't a statement on this from the NCAA about this being a miss, we're going to see a kid get plunked in the face by a 90 mph throw who doesn't get down or out of the way...what other option do you have as a coach? 

I don't think the NCAA wants video of that making its rounds in perpetuity. 

 

Posted
13 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Then he needs to veer away if sliding doesn't make sense. I don't think ducking is a legal part of the rule. I think that puts too much on the defense to wonder if he's going slide, duck, or get out of the way. The rule reads pretty clear. Paraphrasing: Slide or get out of the way. 

Guarantee, if there isn't a statement on this from the NCAA about this being a miss, we're going to see a kid get plunked in the face by a 90 mph throw who doesn't get down or out of the way...what other option do you have as a coach? 

I don't think the NCAA wants video of that making its rounds in perpetuity. 

 

I don't see the whole crew getting together on this. Did I miss that?

Posted
1 hour ago, noumpere said:

The (or at least my) general interp is that the runner needs to slide if he's close enough to the bag where he normally would slide.  I'm not sure that's the case here (but it's close).  And, given that he ducked anyway, a "normal" throw would not have been interfered with.

Pause the video at about :27-28.  The runner only ducks as the F5 is about to release the ball, basically as a reaction to not get hit by the ball about to be thrown at him.  If he had bent over at the waist upon realizing that he was tagged out by 30 feet I'd be ok with no FPSR but he's still standing upright as the F5 starts to make his throwing motion.  

  • Like 1
Posted
2 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

I was citing the rule in my head (the "must slide" part especially) when I watched this live last night.  I was very surprised it did not go to review since FPSR fits under that umbrella and the CC was the third base umpire and could have initiated it right away.  That was too big a situation not to take a look and make sure 100% they got it right (IF they got it right).  

So, I stand corrected.  The CC could not review this on his own as it was only the 6th inning.  The CC can only post a review on  his own in the final 2 innings of regulation or extra innings.  So, fault really comes down to the HC not posting a challenge.  That will be the NCAA's "out" on this play, and I don't necessarily disagree with it.  

×
×
  • Create New...