No call on tag attempt

Guest Kyle Elizalde
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2190 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Kyle Elizalde

Does an umpire need to make the safe call when a tag is missed in the base path. 

We had a play tonight where base were loaded with two outs. Ground ball to second, second baseman attempts to tag runner going from first to second. No call is made. All runners make it to the base they were headed to. Now everyone is looking at each other. Base umpire starts walking towards first base, defense starts to head to dugout. Runners start heading to dugout then umpire call runner out for leaving base path. 

My question is is the base umpire required to make a safe call when the attempted tag was missed between first and second?

thank you. 

5 answers to this question

Picked up a very effective mechanic at a recent camp: any time a batted ball/runner, fielder/runner, catcher/batter cross paths, and you have nothing, you should provide some information (obviously if you have the tag/INT/OBS, that call takes care of itself). It keeps the “what the hell just happened” looks and confusion from possibly occurring. I’ve had dozens of them this year and they’ve keep nearly all coaches at bay and players informed. And if done effectively it looks sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Catch18 said:

Picked up a very effective mechanic at a recent camp: any time a batted ball/runner, fielder/runner, catcher/batter cross paths, and you have nothing, you should provide some information (obviously if you have the tag/INT/OBS, that call takes care of itself). It keeps the “what the hell just happened” looks and confusion from possibly occurring. I’ve had dozens of them this year and they’ve keep nearly all coaches at bay and players informed. And if done effectively it looks sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes -- "that's nothing" is *also* a call.  And, while not required, it can be a good tool -- if it's not overused -- sometimes the play is obvious enough that nothing is needed.

The OP has many confusing elements (why no call after the fact even with the obvious confusion; why was BU heading toward first (I assume it was two man); why call the abandonment out when both the offense and the defense were confused) -- I'll pass on any attempt here, except to say that the signal is *not* required and either coach can / should ask for clarification before either team starts to leave the field.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Guest Kyle Elizalde said:

Ground ball to second, second baseman attempts to tag runner going from first to second

I would always make a call under this circumstance. If a tag was attempted, obviously it was close enough to give a signal (I'm assuming they weren't 10 feet apart).

Why wouldn't you clarify the situation right then? A safe/out signal would have eliminated all confusion. Failure to make a call creates unnecessary confusion that  could be completely avoided.