Using HC First Name

GPblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2221 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just heard a story of a very veteran HS coach in our area being upset that one of our 5th year umps was discussing a situation with him & he got mad about the BU calling him by first name apparently.  Later commented to his partner when passing the plate that the "kid" hadn't been around long enough to use his first name.  Apparently this coach didn't feel the kid had earned his "street credit" yet as the HS kids at my school say sometimes. 

I will default to a SH*#ty argument I had with a base coach this season.  His name is Jacob (changed for personal reasons).  Jacob is a two time world series champ with the dodgers (no bullSH*#).  I call him jacob and he calls me by my first name, its been that way since I had them in my first college series.  Anything more or less and it would be awkward and untenable.  Always, always, always go with a first name.   It is truly a respect thing, and is understood in that manner.  If that coach doesn't like it... BAM... red flag, get rid of his ass.