High School Hybrid Stance

Guest Curt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2212 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Quick question:

I know that in High School, the hybrid stance is illegal and I also know that it does not become illegal until the pitcher actually makes a move that commits him to pitch (merely standing on the rubber in hybrid stance does not constitute a violation.) My question relates to a pickoff move. If the pitcher is standing on the rubber in a hybrid stance and then attempts to pick off a runner, is this a balk or is it fine since he didn't pitch the ball?

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Does Michigan use NFHS rules?

Yes, they do.

4 hours ago, Guest R. Duke said:

FWIW:  The hybrid is legal in Michigan,  but only as THE SET position per the MHSAA.

I find this difficult to believe. Do you have a published or other documented source for this interpretation?

We have this problem in Alabama as well.  It is not uncommon to see the pivot foot perpendicular or 45* on the pitcher's plate and the non-pivot foot not close to breaking the plane of the rubber, clearly in front by 6 inches to as much as a foot.

The problem we have is uniform enforcement.  Some umpires just ignore it and others call it.  It was addressed at the beginning of the year, but little has been done or changed.

Wish we were more proactive. I, myself, as an umpire have no idea what they are doing. Presents a huge problem...does he need to come set? can he make a move to a bag? 

5 hours ago, aaluck said:

We have this problem in Alabama as well.  It is not uncommon to see the pivot foot perpendicular or 45* on the pitcher's plate and the non-pivot foot not close to breaking the plane of the rubber, clearly in front by 6 inches to as much as a foot.

The problem we have is uniform enforcement.  Some umpires just ignore it and others call it.  It was addressed at the beginning of the year, but little has been done or changed.

Wish we were more proactive. I, myself, as an umpire have no idea what they are doing. Presents a huge problem...does he need to come set? can he make a move to a bag? 

What you describe would be a legal windup position in NCAA and OBR. Most umpires would have no problem discerning what the stance was. The pitchers preliminary movement to address the rubber and the runner configuration would also give you some hints. The lack of a parallel pivot foot position also would be a tell. Do you watch MLB or MiLB?