Observations from D1 game

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2524 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Noticed a few things from watching a 3 man crew doing Big Ten baseball. When the count shifted to 3-2 (with 2 outs) and R1, U3 would move from deep B to deep C and U1 and U3 had some sort of single between them. Anyone know the reasoning between this shift. Also, with the bases empty and a line drive down the 3rd base line, U3 would rule the fair/foul call and stay at third base. U1 would "rim" the outfield and take the B/R into second. Usually, U3 would rotate into second with PU taking third, right?

1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:

When the count shifted to 3-2 (with 2 outs) and R1, U3 would move from deep B to deep C and U1 and U3 had some sort of single between them. Anyone know the reasoning between this shift

R1 will be going on the pitch, and there won't be a play at 2B on the steal. U3 is in better position for a play at 3B and improves outfield coverage to LF.

1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:

Also, with the bases empty and a line drive down the 3rd base line, U3 would rule the fair/foul call and stay at third base. U1 would "rim" the outfield and take the B/R into second. Usually, U3 would rotate into second with PU taking third, right?

No, U3 has fair/foul and catch/no catch to LF (goes out), PU will rotate up to 3B behind him, and U1 has the BR into 2B. For U1, I was trained to come in and pivot there; perhaps it's a new mechanic to put U1 outside at 2B and take the play there from behind.

Scenario 1:

3-2 w/ 2 outs the plate umpire stays home. So U3 moves from B to C to stay ahead of R1 and U1 is responsible for B/R. 

Scenario 2:

U3 can stay with the ball (possible trouble??) if it's potential for a "sure double" and let U1 take B/R into 2nd since he would have to go there anyway when the play is over. It's perfectly fine to rim that play. The throw is coming from left, rimming keeps ball, bag and runner all in front of you. I can't tell you the last time I entered the infield to take the B/R into 2nd. I rim everything. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

It's perfectly fine to rim that play. The throw is coming from left, rimming keeps ball, bag and runner all in front of you. I can't tell you the last time I entered the infield to take the B/R into 2nd. I rim everything. 

Just to anticipate the question, "Hey, that sounds great, can I do that in 2-man?"

The answer is: the mechanic sounds great until a bad throw from LF gets through F4, the BR takes off for 3B, and you find yourself a looooong way from 3B and dodging the throw.

So, no, not a good idea in 2-man mechanics. As usual having 3 or 4 umpires gives us much more flexibility in setting up for plays on the bases.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gfoley4 said:

Noticed a few things from watching a 3 man crew doing Big Ten baseball. When the count shifted to 3-2 (with 2 outs) and R1, U3 would move from deep B to deep C and U1 and U3 had some sort of single between them. Anyone know the reasoning between this shift.

In this play, you might also have PU staying home (I forget the exact mechanics, and whether it's required, prohibited, or allowed by crew / conference adoption).

The theory is that sine the runners are off with the pitch, we will treat the rotations as if all runners were one base advanced.  So, in the OP, we go from a regualr rotation (with R1)  to a reverse rotation (with R2) -- that might be the signal you saw.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Gfoley4 said:

Noticed a few things from watching a 3 man crew doing Big Ten baseball. When the count shifted to 3-2 (with 2 outs) and R1, U3 would move from deep B to deep C and U1 and U3 had some sort of single between them. Anyone know the reasoning between this shift

Plate guy probably signaled he was staying home. You just saw the communication between the base guys. As above, the runner is moving on the pitch. I will do this even in a 2-man system with fast teams. Home plate is the important one here. There are all kinds of different signals I have seen, just pre-game them. Generally a simple slide signal from U3 covers it.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Gfoley4 said:

Also, with the bases empty and a line drive down the 3rd base line, U3 would rule the fair/foul call and stay at third base. U1 would "rim" the outfield and take the B/R into second. Usually, U3 would rotate into second with PU taking third, right?

MidAmUmp has a great point about keeping the play in front of you. I never think about that, because it is habit to come in with the 2-man system. You might also see guys (U1 in deep B) making a call at 1B from deep in the dirt (in a 3-man crew). It is all about angles.

I know many of us with 3-2 and 2 outs with only R1 or R1 & R3 situation we will NOT rotate in 2-man either. No reason to when with pitch the guy is off and play at home more likely than before 3-2 count on a clean hit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 6:12 PM, gnhbua93 said:

Simple advanced mechanics.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

No.. In college baseball we will not Rotate with R1 and 3-2 2outs count.. the base umpires will slide and leave PU at home. It is not advanced but in the CCA

• Like 1