Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3419 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Varsity SB which I had to work solo.

1 out, R1 and R2

Batter hits one to deep outfield and over the head of F7

R2 goes to 3rd and then, for some reason, retreats back to 2B

In doing so R1--who is halfway to third --is shocked to see R2 run past her on the way to second.

I call R1 out for passing and then R2 decides to go back to 3rd and then score, but by this time the defense throws the ball to the plate and F2 easily tags the runner.

I call her out and then point to R 1 who is still standing on third base and say, "You are also out"

Nobody questioned my call which, due to it's confusing nature, kind of surprised me.

I want to thank forums such as this for help in discussing these types of possibilities before they happen so when they do, we can act properly and decisively.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Good work. It sucks for R1 that R2 decided to run around like a loose puppy, but that doesn't change the fact that R1 passed R2. Then of course R2 gets thrown out anyway, bringing insult to injury. Kudos to the defense for not playing on the already retired R1. 

  • Like 2
Posted

I'm guessing you think it weird to call out R1 for "passing" R2 when R2 was the runner who retreated and created the apparent "passing"?

It's actually a pretty common way for this to happen. R1 only, batter hits the ball deep enough for R1 to tag, R1 retreats to 1B to retouch after the batter rounds the base, fielder fails to make the catch: BR out for "passing" R1.

Posted

More confusing than weird and I am surprised that the OC did not come out for an explanation.

I forgot to mention that after I called out R1 she saw that R2 was now standing on third and pushed her off the base towards home shouting "Go! Go! Go!"

 I remember saying to myself, "That's OK. A runner can assist another runner" but looking back is that still true if the assisting runner is already out?

Anyway,I was pleased that I was able to keep focused on every action and get the calls right.

It was a good day.

Posted
9 hours ago, MT73 said:

Varsity SB which I had to work solo.

 

22 minutes ago, MT73 said:

It was a good day.

Those two don't sound like they go together.

  • Like 1
Posted
40 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

 

Those two don't sound like they go together.

Good game. Great  kids. Skilled, respectful coaches and I earned a fee and a half.

Thanks to the 3 excellent pitchers I got to call real balls and strikes without constantly having to invent strikes for  horrible, C level games.

On the drive home my assignor called to see how the game went and informed me that, for the first time in 6 years, that I will be getting a full schedule of playoff games which means that I will be working every day until early June.

It was warm with a nice  breeze coming off the East River and I realized that this soon to be 65 year old body still has some zing left.

Yes, a good day.

 

  • Like 2
Posted
1 minute ago, MT73 said:

it was even warm with a nice breeze coming off the East River.

Randall's Island?  

or

Manhattan or Queens?

Posted

never had a game there, I've heard it can be a nightmare with the fields on top of each other and the parking when it's prime season.

Posted

Since HS games start at 4PM parking is not a problem.

Actually the park is fairly empty until 6PM or so.

Weekends is another matter.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Update..

I just checked the play clarification on the (old) ASA website  for June 2016 and this exact play is listed.

Turns out that the runner who was called out for passing is no longer a runner and the runner who she pushed off 3B should have been called out as well.

It's probably the same in baseball...

Live and learn.

×
×
  • Create New...