Jump to content
  • 0

Pitchers delivery


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3458 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

While delivering a pitch to the plate, can the pitcher pull the ball from his glove then tap it back into the glove and then deliver the pitch? This is not being done while in the set position, this is during the pitch. 

  • Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

F1 has committed to the plate by removing the ball form the glove.  After that, I don't much are what he does, as long as he eventually delivers the pitch. (Yes --that's an overstatement.)  any "delay" or extra movement can only benefit the offense.  No violation

  • 0
Guest NJ Coach
Posted

Related question....in the delivery can a pitcher slap mitt on his own body making a noticeable sound to distract the hitter ?  Or shout/grunt ?

If another player makes loud sounds, i'd think not legal...but can the pitcher ?

  • 0
Posted
20 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Related question....in the delivery can a pitcher slap mitt on his own body making a noticeable sound to distract the hitter ?  Or shout/grunt ?

If another player makes loud sounds, i'd think not legal...but can the pitcher ?

mechanically I think that would be very difficult while maintaining good delivery form.

 

I'll let more knowledgeable members address the grunt/sound, however, from what I think it's legal.

  • 0
Posted

This wouldn't matter to many of the people here, but the glove slap on the thigh is pretty common among fast-pitch softball players.

I make my judgement of whether a slap/grunt/headband/whatever is "distracting" based on one factor: "Am I (the umpire) distracted by it?"  If I am not distracted, it is not distracting enough to warrant any more attention.  Also, the next time I find one a slap/grunt/headband/whatever to be distracting will be the first time.


×
×
  • Create New...