Taunting: Major vs. Minor

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2706 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm having a hard time with this.  I reviewed the unsportsmanlike conduct rules in the FED Rule Book and got caught off guard by one in particular.  Player homers, teammates come out to congratulate him near the dirt circle around home plate.  One of them taunts the catcher in a "minor" way.  Book says warn if "minor" (I guess for both infractions of leaving the dugout and taunting) but my thought is to give some leash for coming out of the dugout during a dead ball, but NO leash for taunting an opposing player.

Can anyone give me an example of "minor" taunting?  I RARELY eject.  (Embarrassingly rarely).  But if a kid came out of the dugout after a HR and while congratulating the hitter said ANYTHING of a taunting nature to the catcher, I'm certain I would have ejected him prior to this finding.

I'm having a hard time with this.  I reviewed the unsportsmanlike conduct rules in the FED Rule Book and got caught off guard by one in particular.  Player homers, teammates come out to congratulate him near the dirt circle around home plate.  One of them taunts the catcher in a "minor" way.  Book says warn if "minor" (I guess for both infractions of leaving the dugout and taunting) but my thought is to give some leash for coming out of the dugout during a dead ball, but NO leash for taunting an opposing player.

Can anyone give me an example of "minor" taunting?  I RARELY eject.  (Embarrassingly rarely).  But if a kid came out of the dugout after a HR and while congratulating the hitter said ANYTHING of a taunting nature to the catcher, I'm certain I would have ejected him prior to this finding.

There's absolutely nothing regarding the team coming out of the dugout.

In regards to minor, I would say that would be something of a nature that could escalate a situation. Maybe an offensive player trying to say something to an opposing player or actually saying something in jest and not vulgar.

Be mindful of it and shut anything down before it happens. That's why we get paid the big bucks :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

There's absolutely nothing regarding the team coming out of the dugout.

Al, in our state, for 13 consecutive years, we have been mandated to not allow teams to come out of the dugout to celebrate a home run, big run-scoring-hit, etc.  Our State Director cites coming out of the dugout for an unauthorized purpose as his reasoning and rule ref.  

3-3-1i   A player shall not be outside the designated dugout (bench) or bullpen area if not the batter, runner, on-deck batter, in the coach's box or one of the nine players on defense;

I'm glad your state doesn't interpret it this way, because we all hate it ... specifically after a home run (dead ball).  We will, in fact, get dinged for it if an official observer is watching.  Our State Director claims there have been too many fights started that would never have happened had the team stayed in the dugout after the HR.

Now ... I think I get what you're saying about minor taunting ... I just know that there is a 15-yard penalty and a technical foul for any kind of visible taunting in football and basketball respectively, and I'd certainly prefer to shut it down and keep 'em in the game with a similar warning.

When players on opposite teams know each other (former travel ball teammates, etc) I feel it blurs the lines of what can or should be said between them.  That's a hard one to judge.

Al, in our state, for 13 consecutive years, we have been mandated to not allow teams to come out of the dugout to celebrate a home run, big run-scoring-hit, etc.  Our State Director cites coming out of the dugout for an unauthorized purpose as his reasoning and rule ref.  

3-3-1i   A player shall not be outside the designated dugout (bench) or bullpen area if not the batter, runner, on-deck batter, in the coach's box or one of the nine players on defense;

I'm glad your state doesn't interpret it this way, because we all hate it ... specifically after a home run (dead ball).  We will, in fact, get dinged for it if an official observer is watching.  Our State Director claims there have been too many fights started that would never have happened had the team stayed in the dugout after the HR.

Now ... I think I get what you're saying about minor taunting ... I just know that there is a 15-yard penalty and a technical foul for any kind of visible taunting in football and basketball respectively, and I'd certainly prefer to shut it down and keep 'em in the game with a similar warning.

When players on opposite teams know each other (former travel ball teammates, etc) I feel it blurs the lines of what can or should be said between them.  That's a hard one to judge.

Good, that's how your state does it. And failed to mention that in the OP. Do you allow someone out between innings to warm up outfielders? Warn any players that come out of the dugout to high five their defensive teammates as they come off the field to the dugout? If your state requires it, then you follow it to the 'T' but don't give me a retort like that when I'm answering your question based on the NFHS rules and interpretations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk