Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4082 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

How many of you umpires do not umpire in the slot? In my association there is a few guys that don't umpire in the slot? I umpire with one guy the other day who stays right behind the catcher. I asked him why he doesn't umpire in the slot? His answer was I can see everything the slot guy can. In your opinion what is the difference that you notice umpiring in the slot vs behind the catcher? Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Posted

Jay,

NO ONE teaches calling  balls and strikes behind the catcher.  You can't see the low pitch, and you're in the kill-zone.  I think that's enough, don't you?  Stay in the slot.

  • Like 3
Posted

If you follow the catcher, you are probably going to be in a different position on every pitch.  Zero consistency.

 

Listen to @Thunderheads, stay in the slot, there's a reason it is taught.  Also, avoid the KILL ZONE.

Posted

I would not set up directly behind the catcher, even if it gave me the best view. It is very common for fouls to fly right past my right ear (for RHBs) and left ear (for LHBs) when I am in the slot. All those fouls would be direct hits to my mask if I were set up directly behind the catcher. 

In addition, I suspect I get a better view from the slot of all the information that goes into deciding up and down (e.g., height of the ball and catcher's mitt relative to the batter and the catcher).

Posted

This is why every umpire should work the slot.

Balls and strikes are important, but not nearly as important as avoiding mashed brains and all day finger painting at the adult day care center.

UmpireHotZones2.jpg

 

  • Like 6
Posted

@umpref19, please note, your question is rather silly, and has been answered exhaustively before. Granted, the search feature still isn't up-to-par yet here, and the question does present another opportunity to publish the Kill Zone Chart (thanks @Kevin_K!). Again, please note, you are not silly (or dumb or a buffoon or an idiot) for asking... The question's subject is.

Let's break down what working anything other than the slot exhibits...

  1. Laziness
  2. Lack of training
  3. Lack of confidence in one's protective gear (even though you get hit less in the slot, but besides the point)
  4. Lack of discernment ("just can't establish the outside corner")
  5. Lack of a self-generated head-height locking mechanism ("above the catcher's head is where I'll put mine!")
  6. Fear
  7. An inability (or shortcoming) to perceive the plate (or the zone) from an angle other than right dead-on.

Your partner ("that guy") is stuck on one (or more) of those traits. This is not an umpire who you should emulate.

  • Like 2
Posted

I like that list, @MadMax.  I've been playing around with my position within the slot and have great success moving forward into what I think many refer to as the "super slot."

@umpref19, I'd be curious to know what your collegue's answer would be to asking him what advantage he realizes from not working the slot versus working in it.  Him telling you that the reason he doesn't work it is because he can see everything a slot guy can doesn't make sense to me.  I can only guess, so I'd wager #4 in @MadMax's list might come in to play a lot in his decision.

Posted

In my opinion, When you set up in the slot it gives you one very distinctive advantage.  You can setup right on the inside part of the plate, which then gives you a great reference point to call those outside pitches. Setting up over the catcher takes that away, and now you have to setup to a moving target.  Too much extra work.  Got enough going on, don't add more to it.

  • Like 2
Posted

I think when you start calling older kids games the value of the slot should be evident.  When calling anything under 14U a low pitch can oftentimes be seen because the catcher is not very big and with the expanded zone you can go by a common reference point like whether the catching turns his glove down.  As you do older. higher quality games you need to be able to see that path to the glove and with the larger catchers you cannot see that anywhere but in the slot.

×
×
  • Create New...