MLB Ejection 134: Hunter Wendelstedt (2; Bob Melvin)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3202 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Hunter Wendelstedt ejected Athletics Manager Bob Melvin for arguing a strike one call in the bottom of the 5th inning of the Blue Jays-Athletics game. With one out and one on, A's batter Stephen Vogt took a first-pitch fastball from Blue Jays pitcher for a called first strike as A's...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Seemed like a very quick trigger on Hunter's part here.  You can clearly see Melvin say, "It was a pitch out."  Hunter then says something and Melvin takes one step up and says, "What was that?" and Hunter runs him.

No doubt the pitch was a strike and called correctly, but this EJ seems pretty quick.

• Like 1

If he's dumb enough to repeat it, it's good enough for me.

come on John ..... really?

I like Hunter, and I like the fact that he comes on the site from time to time...but .... there's GOT to be more to it than what we see because I agree w/ Steve ..... that seemed really quick based on what we see in the video ... me thinks there's more to it than this :nod: 

Edited by Thunderheads

It's not about what he said or how he said it. You don't get to argue, question, discuss, comment on, remark about, cavil over, or otherwise speak about balls and strikes.

How quick is automatic?

IF ...and that is a big IF ........ but IF what we see on the video is all that took place, ....that's an EJ?   We've seen Melvin act MUCH MORE like a , ...well, ...."Melvin" and get tossed, so we know he's capable of being a first class douche, but..... this hardly seems ejectionable (based on what's seen here)

IF ...and that is a big IF ........ but IF what we see on the video is all that took place, ....that's an EJ?   We've seen Melvin act MUCH MORE like a , ...well, ...."Melvin" and get tossed, so we know he's capable of being a first class douche, but..... this hardly seems ejectionable (based on what's seen here)

What did you see? Did you see Melvin question a strike call? Did you see PU tell him to stop, and he persisted?

I don't mean to deny that there's more than meets the eye here; but this EJ at this level seems plain vanilla.