Post-game EJ

kylehutson
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3245 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Working a USSSA tourney this weekend with 4(maybe?) age brackets on 6 fields. This game was 12U. Coach was arguing balls and strikes early (not at all unusual from what I've heard of this team). I told him we're not discussing my strike zone. Anyway he managed to hold his tongue for the rest of the game until the last play. His R1 tried to steal 2B and got thrown out by the catcher. Apparently this was to much for him and he charged onto the field yelling at my partner. I gave him a post-game heave-ho, not having any idea what, if any, repercussions there might be from this. By chance, the tourney UIC was watching and said I handled it perfectly (yay!).

I found out later he was prevented from coaching the next game. Apparently this team's coaches (all 4 of them) frequently get ejected or at least flirt with it nearly every game. It saddens me the example these kids are getting.

I was doing 13u Majors today. I was BU and an AC (while I'm in A) started going off on my partners strike zone (which was spot on). My partner is mostly deaf so didn't hear him but I told the coach we're not discussing strike zones and that's enough. Then he came out with "I've umpire for 26 years!" I cut him off with "Well then you should know better". He was quiet the rest of the game. 

• Like 7

I was doing 13u Majors today. I was BU and an AC (while I'm in A) started going off on my partners strike zone (which was spot on). My partner is mostly deaf so didn't hear him but I told the coach we're not discussing strike zones and that's enough. Then he came out with "I've umpire for 26 years!" I cut him off with "Well then you should know better". He was quiet the rest of the game. 

​Anybody who says "Ive been umpiring for "X" amount of years"....will get 1 of 2 replies: 1) Only 2 people are getting paid to umpire this game & YOU are NOT one of them.....2) Doesnt mean you have been umpiring CORRECTLY for "X" amount of years.

• Like 6

....... heave-ho, not having any idea what, if any, repercussions there might be from this.

I'd love to chew you out for even having this thought, but alas.......I think we all do it, subconsciously, whether we know we're doing it or not.  

Good on you for pulling the plug on this jack-wagon, post-game is even better.  

Our league has prescribed minimum penalties for various offences, and any resulting from post-game incidents have double the minimum suspension. I guess its an allowance for the idea that in the heat of the moment someone will say/do something they shouldn't, but its that much worse if they seek out the umpire after the game to say/do whatever it is.

Working a USSSA tourney this weekend with 4(maybe?) age brackets on 6 fields. This game was 12U. Coach was arguing balls and strikes early (not at all unusual from what I've heard of this team). I told him we're not discussing my strike zone. Anyway he managed to hold his tongue for the rest of the game until the last play. His R1 tried to steal 2B and got thrown out by the catcher. Apparently this was to much for him and he charged onto the field yelling at my partner. I gave him a post-game heave-ho, not having any idea what, if any, repercussions there might be from this. By chance, the tourney UIC was watching and said I handled it perfectly (yay!).

​GFY...I mean Good For You GFY...not the other GFY.

• Like 4

​Anybody who says "Ive been umpiring for "X" amount of years"....will get 1 of 2 replies: 1) Only 2 people are getting paid to umpire this game & YOU are NOT one of them.....2) Doesnt mean you have been umpiring CORRECTLY for "X" amount of years.

​3) But you're not the umpire today!

I'd love to chew you out for even having this thought, but alas.......I think we all do it, subconsciously, whether we know we're doing it or not. 

​I ejected him, and *then* my thought was "I wonder if doing that was just pissing in the wind". I was glad the tourney management had some teeth to them.