Test Question

zoops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3327 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just want to make sure I'm thinking straight here...I know you can get two strikes if the pitcher delivers the ball (one for the stepping out, one for the pitch), but if he stops, you'd only get one strike, correct?  Problem I see is that really A & B are true, but the "thus, two strikes are called" part isn't really correct in my brain...

With a runner on first, the batter asks for time, which is not granted, and steps out of the batter's box with both feet.

o    a.If the pitcher stops his motion, a strike shall be called on the batter.

o    b.If the pitcher delivers the ball, the pitch shall be called a strike.  6-2-4-d1

o    c.A and B. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter.

o    d.There is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher.

A & B are both correct, but I don't think C is an accurate choice.  I guess I should just post the whole rule here:

d. failing to pitch to the batter in a continuous motion immediately after any movement of any part of the body such as he habitually uses in his delivery;

1. If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or © holds up his hand to request "Time," it shall not be a balk. In (a) and ©, there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call "Time" and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and ©, if the pitcher ­legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1m.

You can't call a strike if he doesn't pitch.

If he does pitch, by rule you'd call 2 strikes for stepping out with both feet: one for the pitch, and one for a penalty.

Don't call the penalty strike in a game with actual human beings. Call the pitch a strike wherever it goes (and if it's wild, the ball is live, don't kill it).

I've had that wild pitch after the batter stepped out illegally that goes to the backstop and scores a run. Funny how the defense isn't quite satisfied by having that one called a strike....

Anyway, the correct answer is B, which is not the best answer, since by rule you'd call 2 strikes. But that doesn't mean C is right, since A is wrong.

Meh, I agree with bam....

• Like 1

Anyway, the correct answer is B, which is not the best answer, since by rule you'd call 2 strikes. But that doesn't mean C is right, since A is wrong.

My understanding is that you can...

6.2.4 SITUATION I:

With R1 on third base, F1 starts his pitching motion and B2 requests "Time," but the umpire does not grant "Time." B2 steps out of the batter's box with both feet and (a) F1 delivers a pitch, (b) does not deliver the pitch or © throws a wild pitch.

RULING: (a) The umpire shall call two strikes on B2, one on the pitch, and one for stepping out of the box. In (b), the umpire shall call a strike on B2 for stepping out of the batter's box. The balk is nullified. In ©, two strikes shall be called on B2, one on the pitch and one for stepping out. The ball remains live. (7-3-1 Penalty)

The NFHS test wants C as the answer to appropriately address 6.2.4 Situation I.

Answer C to get the test answer correct.

Now - however - I have bones to pick with 6-2-4 addressing batter infractions.

Because 6-2-4 incorrectly references 7-3-1 as a penalty for a seond strike (penalty strike) for stepping out with both feet. 7-3-1 requires a batter to delay the game in order to have that penalty invoked.

Also, see 7.3.1 Situation D and 5.2.1 Situation A. They contradict 6-2-4's verbiage and is more in line with 7-3-1's common sense factor

6.2.4 SITUATION I:

With R1 on third base, F1 starts his pitching motion and B2 requests "Time," but the umpire does not grant "Time." B2 steps out of the batter's box with both feet and (a) F1 delivers a pitch, (b) does not deliver the pitch or © throws a wild pitch.

RULING: (a) The umpire shall call two strikes on B2, one on the pitch, and one for stepping out of the box. In (b), the umpire shall call a strike on B2 for stepping out of the batter's box. The balk is nullified. In ©, two strikes shall be called on B2, one on the pitch and one for stepping out. The ball remains live. (7-3-1 Penalty)

Yeah, that's right. I've suppressed that case play because I won't ever call a strike without a pitch.

6.2.4 SITUATION I:

RULING: (a) The umpire shall call two strikes on B2, one on the pitch, and one for stepping out of the box. In (b), the umpire shall call a strike on B2 for stepping out of the batter's box. The balk is nullified. In ©, two strikes shall be called on B2, one on the pitch and one for stepping out. The ball remains live. (7-3-1 Penalty)

Yeah, that's right. I've suppressed that case play because I won't ever call a strike without a pitch.

However @maven, my thought process leads me to believe that there will ALWAYS be a strike called in this situation, whether a pitch is thrown or not.

Pitcher throws: pitch is automatically a strike

Pitcher doesn't throw: batter has delayed the game by causing the pitcher to not deliver a pitch; thus, we get a strike for THAT delay, but no pitched strike.

Thoughts?

You're "supposed" to call 2 strikes if the pitcher throws it. Have fun explaining it.

I've got 5.2.1 Situation A and 7-3-1 Situation D to tell me I'm NOT calling 2 strikes unless there is a delay.

6-2-4 references 7-3-1 as the reason for the penalty strike and 7-3-1 requires a delay.

I will never judge that the batter has delayed sufficiently to warrant a penalty strike (a strike without a pitch, or a second strike in addition to the one called on a pitch).

I'll eject the batter before I call that strike.

• Like 1