In the line of fire

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3320 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My next self-improvement project is to tweak my positioning when a ball is hit to the left side of the infield and I'm in B or C -- particularly in C.  I find that on sharp hit balls, I do a good job turning with the ball and keeping my chest to it, but I find that sometimes as the fielder picks it up, I'm standing right between him and 1B because I don't have time to judge everything properly.  I don't want to turn my back to him, but have to turn early enough to see the play, and I don't want to have to duck down all the time because I'm sure that'll cause a problem at some point -- like missing a call or being hit by a poorly-thrown ball.

What do y'all do in this sitch?

Move out of the way.  If the ball is to F5 charging, your best move is often to your left -- toward B, instead of stepping up into the working area.

if the ball is to F6 back, then get right to the back of the mound.

And, once you've turned, you take similar drop steps as you do on a steal of second.

And, yes, getting the proper footwork is part of the art of learning to work the bases.  And, then when you go to three-person, the footwork changes somewhat.

Move out of the way.  If the ball is to F5 charging, your best move is often to your left -- toward B, instead of stepping up into the working area.

if the ball is to F6 back, then get right to the back of the mound.

And, once you've turned, you take similar drop steps as you do on a steal of second.

And, yes, getting the proper footwork is part of the art of learning to work the bases.  And, then when you go to three-person, the footwork changes somewhat.

Agree. Here's a reinforcing thought:

Remember that we want angle over distance. What's going to give you the best angle on the play at 1B? (If there's a tight call to be made on this play, that's probably where it will be.)

If the ball is not hit hard, the fielders will run up to field it. F3 is going to be stretching INTO the infield to field that throw. You want to be deeper and maybe closer to 1B: that's why you want something like B or deep B to take the play at 1B.

If the ball is hit hard and fielded deep, F3 is going to be stretching ACROSS the infield to field the throw. Your best angle is going to be from nearer the mound, preferably in the 1B side (but still in the working area, as you have other runners).

So read the batted ball: slow roller, step back. Hard hit ball, step up and turn with it. Maintain chest-to-ball through out the play, and pick up 1B as soon as you read a clean release.

• Like 3

Good advice, I am still having trouble with my footwork and positioning on a double play 6-4-3 or 5-4-3.  Getting better but still a work in progress.  The main problem I have is getting the best angle at 1B for pulled foot and bangers after the call at 2B.  I am moving towards 1B after while making the call at 2B but sometimes take the wrong cut and I am too close to base path.  Not sure if it where I am starting or like I said wrong steps.

The GB in the F5/F6 hole is the tough one to judge on whether to move in to the working area or left towards B. If you wait for the ball to pass F5, you're going to be hard pressed to get to the mound before F6 wants to throw across the diamond. And if you do get near the mound to watch F6's throw to 1B, you have to watch the throw (make sure it doesn't hit you), then turn 180 degrees to see the potential banger at 1B. Often times this play will blow up on you (you don't get a good look).  My suggestion is to move towards B on the GB in the F5/F6 hole.

• Like 1