Quickest Game Not Forfeited or Weather Cnx'd

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5702 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Started to post this on the "Worst Mis-match" thread, but I thought this one was different enough (although on the same basic theme) to rate its own thread. So, here goes:

I had a rec league game in a nearby town that went 16 - 0 and only took 50 minutes. I checked with both coaches about the mercy rule during the plate meeting (I was doing the game solo, which was a surprise because they were HS age kids and the game would typically be worked by a 2-man crew), both replied that it was 15 runs in 4 innings, 10 in 5 and 8 in 6. I noted the game start time as 6 pm when I wrapped up the meeting.

First inning went pretty well, both teams were getting hits, but after that, the home team's offense just imploded (inning ended at something like 2-0 or 3-0, visitors). Visitors weren't really putting on anything spectacular, either, which puzzled me when I realized how lopsided the game was. :D

Next time I looked at a timepiece is after I've changed out of my plate gear and have started my truck to go home. My clock radio reads 6:55 pm. Subtract 5 minutes for changing clothes, etc. and that has the game ending at 6:50 pm. I made a claim on the local association's discussion board for the quickest game not decided by forfeit or weather. Never heard of anyone challenging it, but wouldn't be surprised if it's been beaten by now.

Anybody out there have a similar experience you'd care to share?

pkv

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 years ago I worked a freshmen baseball game full seven innings won by the visitors 5 - 2. It was just a great game and wow I worked it solo.

Maybe that's the key, the second umpire slows down the game.:D:D

Last year I was invited with 2 others to work the Oregon state Little League 11-12 yo state tournament. We drove from Bend to just outside Portland for 2 games. I had the plate for the second game. Full six innings in 1:12. The losing team that game was Lake Oswego, who went on and won the Northwest Regional final to advance to the LLWS.

• 2 months later...

I had a nice run earlier this year during the high school season. On a Friday, had a 10RR game that completed in 1:10, then the next day had another 10RR game that ended at 1:20, then on the following Monday, had a full 7 that finished in 1:25.

The baseball gods got their payback the next day. 7 inning game, 16-15 final score, 3 hrs 15 minutes on the coldest night of the year. It was brutal, besides all the runs scored, it was a strange game. We had to delay several times on top of it, because a foul ball took out one of the lenses on a light standard, and glass kept periodically falling out of it into the on deck circle.

To top it off, after the end of the 7th inning, my partner and I start to leave the field, and the winning team asked where we were going. We said home, and he said, but it's a tie game. The losing team was already lined up to shake hands at this moment, because they knew they had lost. The visitor's book had the score 15-15, so we called the home book down from the press box, and counted up the runs for each team. The home book had it 16-15 in favor of the visitors, and that's what we went with.

On our way out to the parking lot, we get stopped by the home team's scorekeeper, who wanted us to wait. I said for what? He said that maybe he made a mistake. I told him that the home book is the official book, and that is what we are going with. He was not happy with my answer and started to get lippy with me, so I replied by telling him that this is big boy baseball now, and to be more careful in the future, then proceeded to go to my car and get out of there.

• 1 month later...

The baseball gods got their payback the next day. 7 inning game, 16-15 final score, 3 hrs 15 minutes on the coldest night of the year..

Mock the baseball gods and you will pay...........

Shortest game (no mercy rule)

High School Varsity 2-1 - 7 innings 1 hour 9 minutes......

Shortest Game (with mercy rule)

Pony league- 48 minutes 22-0 3rd inning........not officially a mercy rule game , home coach threw in the towel.........

My first year umpiring I had a double header. My partner had the first plate and we got a 10 RR in like 1:15 on the way back to the car to switch out he's talking some crap. After the plate meeting he told me the pressure is on "You've got to beat 1:15."

Well I got a complete 7 in about 1:10. He was really cool about it and was congratulating me. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to work with him again.

• 1 month later...

I did the dish on a HS varsity softball game a number of years ago when I called both sports between the premier 2A team and the premier 3A teams in the area (and pretty much the state at that time), 6 -2 in 1 hr and 9 minutes..

The quickest game I think I've ever done was a 6 inning, 9 -10 y/o tournament game, 2 -1, in 1hr and 2 minutes which did include a couple of timeouts for injuries-none serious..(w many games at that level do you have 2 -1 games?LOL)

I just hope I haven't jinxed myself now with the baseball gods of fate!

I did a college double some years back. We started at 2:00PM, had a 30 minute break between games and were pulling out of the parking lot at 5:45, after changing out. I don't remember the breakdown but anytime you have two complete games, 30 minute break and still get out in under 4 hrs it's a good day.

I did a college double some years back. We started at 2:00PM, had a 30 minute break between games and were pulling out of the parking lot at 5:45, after changing out. I don't remember the breakdown but anytime you have two complete games, 30 minute break and still get out in under 4 hrs it's a good day.

MST,

Thats an outstanding day.......most of my similar doubles are closer to 5+ at a minimum..........must have been a good strikes and outs day!

I did a Pony championship about ten years ago and while I'm not sure how long the game time was, it was quick. It was scoreless for 6 1/2 innings, the pitcher came up and a walk-off to win the game. I think both pitchers threw one hitters, maybe two.