Double hernia surgery: any advice?

Mick
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3364 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has anybody here had surgery for a double hernia?  Had it done yesterday; the doc said stay out of the gym and any real physical work for 4 weeks.  I'll be healed and ready for late March scrimmages and then the start of the season.  So, for those who have gone under the knife for this.... any pointers, advice, or stories of things you shouldn't have done during recovery?

Thanks.

Mick

Was it laparoscopic surgery or were you cut open?

I had laparoscopic and was up and around - feebly, but upright - the next day. I was on the field 7 days after laproscopic and behind the plate 14 days post surgery. My surgeon's advice was do what did not hurt, but do not lounge around convalescing. Each day I could do more, until I became a pain in the ass because I was not working or on the field. It was then that he gave the OK to slowly start back to normal activties.

Traditional surgery requires healing for the incisions through multiple layers of muscle. That would significantly impact your ability to get back on the field, or even lead a nornal life for several weeks.

I would suggest following your doctor's guidelines though

Sorry.... after I realized I posted it here, I didn't know how to move it out.  Having said that, there's no double hernia like a CDP double hernia.

• Like 1

Ok, Johnny..... how about moving it to "Free for All"?  Yes, indeed.  Free double hernias for everyone!  I'm on my fourth day of recovery (it wasn't lapoarscopic; I was cut.  twice.), I'm hobbling about, slowly healing.  I've had some very odd swelling in certain places.  I could post pics that would surely illicit some hearty laughs, but also get me kicked off this site.