Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4325 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

 

So 8.05b? It was really more of a start to make a play at 2nd on the approaching runner without completing it.

 

Feinting to second is legal.  I just re-read your OP and saw that he turned clockwise, so if he turned his shoulders towards third and never moved his feet towards second (inside move), then it's a feint to third (OBR).

 

While true, a feint requires a step (and does not require arm motion -- not that this part is relevant to the play).

 

A shoulder turn is usually the "start" of something, but you won't find "shoulder turn" in the (non fed) book -- you'll just find feint, and that part is judgement.

Posted

 

 

So 8.05b? It was really more of a start to make a play at 2nd on the approaching runner without completing it.

 

Feinting to second is legal.  I just re-read your OP and saw that he turned clockwise, so if he turned his shoulders towards third and never moved his feet towards second (inside move), then it's a feint to third (OBR).

 

While true, a feint requires a step (and does not require arm motion -- not that this part is relevant to the play).

 

A shoulder turn is usually the "start" of something, but you won't find "shoulder turn" in the (non fed) book -- you'll just find feint, and that part is judgement.

 

 

Agreed, but based on the description in the OP, it would be hard for F1 to turn clockwise far enough to see anything without it looking like a feint to third.

  • Like 1
Posted

Yes, but I felt bad for them afterwards - does that count? They will now be coached on how to handle this play next time. Also they had a chance to tie the game in the bottom of the inning. I would have been cheating the OT if I didn't call it. I guess I'm not good enough yet to see a balk and decide not to call it.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I feel sorry for umpires who are ONLY there for the money.

 

Don't get me wrong; I cash the checks...but I do what I do because I love it.

What % would you say are there for the money only?

 

I say  75%  maybe higher!

Posted

I don't know if it's as high as 75%.  I'd certainly like to think it's not that many.

 

Perhaps I'm spoiled, but the core group of 8-9 guys that I work MOST of my games with ALL do it for love of the game.  That has become the standard that I'm accustomed to, so when I work with one of those 'other' guys, their actions/attitudes REALLY stick out like a broken thumb.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

I feel sorry for umpires who are ONLY there for the money.

Don't get me wrong; I cash the checks...but I do what I do because I love it.

What % would you say are there for the money only?

I say 75% maybe higher!

I hope it is less than 50% but I bet Jax is probably close to the truth.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

That would be an interesting question to pose in a voting box.  Personally, I'm in it for the love of the game.  The money is a nice bonus plus it buys the additional umpire equipment.  I have my wish list from the best equipment forum.

 

My guess would be the people umping for the money would be less than 25%.  Very curious... 

×
×
  • Create New...