Lineups?

refump10
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3525 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When doing select/travel ball, as PU do you get lineups at the plate conference?  Around here, it's not done.  I am tempted to insist on them, but don't want to be "that guy".  Other guys I work with don't seem to think its a big deal, but I've had a couple situations come up with substitutions that would have been a lot easier to deal with if I had lineup cards to begin with.

And what's the big deal about keeping lineup cards?  I've never thought it was that big of a chore; indeed I always thought that was just one of the things that we do as PU

Thoughts?

Only regular and post-season high school uses lineup cards.  All other levels self police.  If a conflict arises, I would have each side present their story, then rule based on the facts as presented.  I think it happened once in a legion game.  NBD

In competitive tournaments where I can expect an appeal if the other teams mess up, yes.

USSSA GA and AL have cards with lineups written on them pregame by scorekeeper.

In rec, heck no.

In our area line-up cards are used for all school ball and American Legion ball.

I am pretty sure that the regular season Little Leagues, Junior Leagues and Senior Leagues don't use them, and in tournaments the plate guy has close contact with the official scorer. The scorer keeps trips and all substitutions. Any questions, the two will talk. Before the umpires go on to the field they talk with the scorer to make sure they are comfortable with the rules as far a SPR and subs.

On the 'big field' the official scorer is very good and all the umpire has to do is point and subs to him.

For the SLWS that we host each August the plate guy does not even carry a card. All line-up changes are called by phone to the official scorer. He does a great job of keeping things under control. If there is a BOO or other issue, then the plate ump talks to the scorer on the phone as well for the official ruling.