Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4484 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all,

 

A quick search didn't come up with anything specific to little league.  I rarely do little league (I think I've done 2 games in my life) and so I don't really know the rules.  I'm guessing the rules are similar to FED etc, but is there a little league specific rule addressing lightening/thunder?  I have a buddy who's kid plays Little League and was asking me.

 

Thanks!

Posted

 

I don't need a .pdf to take the kids off the field. Play it safe. Err on the side of safety! :wave:

 

no one should the pdf to know what to do ..........., but I think he's looking for a time frame for which to delay a game ........

 

 

Correct.  I know when to take the kids off the field, and do.  Often to the disappointment of the coaches/parents/kids, but too bad.  My question is this - is there a SPECIFIC RULE addressing this in little league.  The pdf that was posted suggests a "reasonable" time.  If that's all the rule says, I could see where a problem could arise.

Posted

I attended the LL clinic in Williamsport last spring. This question came up. I distinctly recall them telling us to go 30 minutes from the last thunder OR lightning. Just like FED.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Posted

And all of us responsible umpires will wait the 30 minutes. Unfortunately, because it is not SPECIFICALLY in the rules, there are some that would wait only 5 or 10 minutes and instead use the scientifically accurate "the sky is getting lighter and rain has let up" guideline. :o I wish that LL would put it in writing to remove any question. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Posted

All that LL gives is what Appendix A says: "When should activities be resumed? Because electrical charges can linger in clouds after a thunderstorm has passed, experts agree that people should wait at least 30 minutes after the storm before resuming activities. " That's still too vague. We all know there can be thunder and lightning without a "storm". It should say "30 minutes after the last flash of lightning OR clap of thunder." Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Posted

Minimum 30 minutes, . . . then use YOUR COMMON SENSE, . . . YOU'RE THE "BOSS"!

SJA :-)

I agree totally, and I know that most will do the right thing. I was just making the point that we can't be on every field at once, and there are some inexperienced/irresponsible umpires & coaches won't do it unless it's in the book specifically. That's all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Posted

I understand, my post was NOT directed at you personally, but at the "inexperienced/irresponsible umpires & coaches won't do it unless it's in the book specifically."

:-)

  • Like 1
Posted

It's been following me this week.  Wednesday, top 7, tie game, I'm PU.  I just get settled into the slot a F1 comes set.  My partner yells "Time! Lightning!"  The usual grumbles about "it's only heat lightning",etc.  We pull em off, go to our cars.  10 minutes later Home skipper comes over and says both teams agree to go ahead and bang it cause they both have to travel the next day for tournaments. 

 

Last night, we are in the bottom of the second.  Loud roll of thunder.  "Time!" pull em off.  One of the coaches hits us with its only thunder, not lightning.  Sorry pal, gonna be thirty minutes.  20 minutes later somebody upstairs opened the spigot.  Home in time for dinner with a full game fee. :nod:

Posted

Where does this nonsense about "heat lightning" come from? THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!  It's lightning. And what the heck did this nimrod think caused the thunder??

Posted

Where does this nonsense about "heat lightning" come from? THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!  It's lightning. And what the heck did this nimrod think caused the thunder??

I think the term was used in the past to refer to lightning flashes at night that were not accompanied by thunder. Storms could be 50 miles away and at night the flash, not the bolt, can be seen. In any case, thunder, bolt, detector, clear the field.

Posted

Here is the MOT Area Little League Policy regarding lightening:

"From Our Safety Officer : Our Lightning Policy:

If the lightning is within 15 miles, the game needs to be stopped and everyone sent to their car. The new lightning detectors are A/C powered and have battery backup. They have mile intervals set up from 0-3, 3-8, 8-20, and 20-30 miles. If the detector picks up lightning in the 8-20 range, people should treat it like 15 miles or less and get off the fields. The Concession Stand has the lightning detectors andcoaches, umpires, league officials, and the stand workers should concern themselves when unsettled weather is possible. If the concession workers see lightning detected in the 8-20 mile range, then they will notify umpires or coaches on the field. If the lightning detector is not available, then it is up to the umpires to make the determination to get off the field. Everyone should be assuming that the lightning is 15 miles or less. However, seeing lightning does not mean that it is 15 miles away or less. The game cannot resume for 30 minutes from the last lightning strike without the detector or 30 minutes from the last strike in the 8-20 range with the detector. If you hear thunder, then it should be treated as if lightning is within 15 miles.

Safety is the most important thing. When in doubt, get off the fields and head to the cars."

Posted

Can't resist a first post, been reading and learning for months.

 

^^ SJA post is almost universal now at our level. The local Little League will have a set rule with it's local municipality and their insurance provider. We have a lightning detector at our fields and when it goes off the umpires are told to immediately suspend game and send players and parents to cars, everyone will run under cover or stand by concessions if the umpire does not make it clear to leave the fields entirely. Living in Florida this happens a lot. I will make a it very clear the second the siren goes off that they need to go to their cars for 30 minutes and I will come out the parking lot when they are allowed to return or calling the game. Not a rule but I will also not allow the players to gather their equipment even. If I see it building I will inform the coaches ahead of time that in the event of lightning I need the field cleared in less then a minute gear or no gear.

×
×
  • Create New...