Wow! Player throws punch at umpire postgame

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3671 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Warning!  Attempted thread hijack related to the shirt color issue mentioned above:

Yep!, I am NFHS certified in two states at present.  Some states are so behind when it comes to umpire uniforms.

Effin' Missouri only allows navy shirts and hats and we have no association or state logo for a hat so we look like effin' parks and rec umpires.  Unfortunately, other than one rules meeting and an optional online module there is ZERO training for high school certified umpires in KC area so most of the umpires are really just that....untrained but certified (?) parks and rec umpires.  I don't know what they do in other parts of the state with training.  Uniform limitations are statewide, navy only.  Apparently the state association takes the navy limitations pretty seriously and threatens no post season for those caught violating this limitation.  I hate it but the game fees are more than they pay in Kansas and the Missouri assigner seems to like me and give me better teams to work when I am available to work High School.  Unfortunately, I rarely work with a younger umpire.  Most of my partners are older than me.  Some are older than dirt.  One of my buds texted during our rules meeting that some of the umpires in the room did not look like they should even be driving much less trying to umpire high school baseball.

Last year I tried to pregame with a partner who claimed plate for a varsity game and he argued with me that he only worked plate.  I was to handle the bases.  No plans to rotate down to third by him.  I asked him when and where he got any umpire training.  Answer:  Working 20 plus years and the rules meeting the assigner has every spring.  Short answer: ZERO training.  EVER!  WTF!  in TWENTY YEARS?

Kansas allows either navy or black shirts but no one sells black hats with KSHSAA on them. (Apparently the state association leadership authorized black shirts if you match your partner but does not authorize any supplier to sell a black state logo hat, WTF?)  So you either wear navy hat over black shirt or plain black hat with black shirt.  Tough to look professional in my opinion.   Quality of umpires in Kansas seems to be better and most are younger than grandpa age which is a bit better.

Thus I am very glad that I am privileged and fortunate enough to be able to work more college than high school around here.  I work the high school to keep busy.  I would rather work bad baseball with untrained or bad partners than not work at all.  Why?  I still love the game of baseball.  It makes me appreciate the good teams, games and partners I get to work/work with.

Well, now that we have all expressed opinions on the fans and umpires actions, let's start at the beginning.

All schools should have enough administrators, etc. from the schools themselves, at all events to handle these type situations and interactions. If they cannot handle them themselves, or their own administrators fear for their own safety or just plain do not want to play the bad guy and do something about it, then they need to hire security to oversee both their own coaches and the fans, and give security the necessary tools to enforce player, coach, umpire and fan safety which could include suspension of a game.

If this is too expensive, then just cancel the sports program due to unsportsmanlike behaviour and just let the ones who can afford it have travel teams all over and let the coaches in those leagues run all up and down the officials since the TD's are making a fortune and can grab officials off the road to do the job. And then we will get to see the best of the kids who have the money to pursue sports, not the best of the best out there due to the costs of entry barrier.

• Like 1

Warning!  Attempted thread hijack related to the shirt color issue mentioned above:

Yep!, I am NFHS certified in two states at present.  Some states are so behind when it comes to umpire uniforms.

Effin' Missouri only allows navy shirts and hats and we have no association or state logo for a hat so we look like effin' parks and rec umpires.  Unfortunately, other than one rules meeting and an optional online module there is ZERO training for high school certified umpires in KC area so most of the umpires are really just that....untrained but certified (?) parks and rec umpires.  I don't know what they do in other parts of the state with training.  Uniform limitations are statewide, navy only.  Apparently the state association takes the navy limitations pretty seriously and threatens no post season for those caught violating this limitation.  I hate it but the game fees are more than they pay in Kansas and the Missouri assigner seems to like me and give me better teams to work when I am available to work High School.  Unfortunately, I rarely work with a younger umpire.  Most of my partners are older than me.  Some are older than dirt.  One of my buds texted during our rules meeting that some of the umpires in the room did not look like they should even be driving much less trying to umpire high school baseball.

Last year I tried to pregame with a partner who claimed plate for a varsity game and he argued with me that he only worked plate.  I was to handle the bases.  No plans to rotate down to third by him.  I asked him when and where he got any umpire training.  Answer:  Working 20 plus years and the rules meeting the assigner has every spring.  Short answer: ZERO training.  EVER!  WTF!  in TWENTY YEARS?

Kansas allows either navy or black shirts but no one sells black hats with KSHSAA on them. (Apparently the state association leadership authorized black shirts if you match your partner but does not authorize any supplier to sell a black state logo hat, WTF?)  So you either wear navy hat over black shirt or plain black hat with black shirt.  Tough to look professional in my opinion.   Quality of umpires in Kansas seems to be better and most are younger than grandpa age which is a bit better.

Thus I am very glad that I am privileged and fortunate enough to be able to work more college than high school around here.  I work the high school to keep busy.  I would rather work bad baseball with untrained or bad partners than not work at all.  Why?  I still love the game of baseball.  It makes me appreciate the good teams, games and partners I get to work/work with.

He's probably working the state finals in Missouri this year.

He very well could be. I hear he worked a tourney championship game with another college umpiring friend of mine and dumped both coaches. He's a real redass.

I went back to the same school last night and worked with his 300 lb. plus brother. (Just kidding on blood relations) but not kidding on mechanics and strike zone and of course zero mobility. I had to rotate from plate to 3B twice on triples as this guy couldn't even get across to the grass from A before the play. He would have made calls from somewhere close to B at third. Nicer guy but no idea of positioning or timing or proper mechanics. His jacket had food stains all down the front and his hat was a very faded and heavily stained 2 stitch beanie (the one that makes you like a penis-head) and he was proud to tell me it was 24 or 25 years old! WTF?

I wore a brand new 8 stitch hat, a majestic jacket, leather-lustered shoes and poly-wools. His pants were also stained and the zipper was broken. Shoes were sort of black. It was hard to stand next to the guy. At least he was a vet and we both stood behind the plate and saluted during the National Anthem.

Trying times. Game was great and we heard nothing from coaches.

??? 

To work with a fellow veteran?

Salute the flag?

Oh, work with me?  Hahaha.  

The honor and privilege would be all mine.

I have worked with a couple of U-E members.   Pete Reiser who had the Midwest Ump Blog back in 2009 and again after my Afghanistan exile in 2011.  He got me in with several assigners I still work for.  Salute to you Pete, wherever you are.

I also worked with Haid d'Salaami in a Legion tourney in 2009.

Met them through the site. 

I also work FOR Jason, Mid-Am Ump, doing college woodbat league games he assigns and high school showcases in summer.

And I recruited The Cuban to the site.  I also have worked with AlphaMale40 when in Kentucky.

If I am ever in Alabama.......

or if you are ever in KC.......