Timed Games, stricly USSSA Rules

DVA7130
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3604 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

12U USSSA pool play game today.

We enter the bottom of the 5th in accelerated fashion with four minutes on the clock (ugh..).

The home team is winning and the visiting team is trying to force one more inning.

Two outs are quickly recorded, but runners find their way on second and third and half way through a at bat my partner gives me the time expired signal.

Then things become difficult.

The visiting coach now fearful of more runs scored against him in pool play, wishes for the game to end, and argues that the game should be over. I inform him that we will finish this at bat. After heated words from him another pitch is thrown. He comes out of the the dugout again and still I hold firm that we will finish the at bat(just the batter not the inning). He angerly shouts at his pitcher to intentionally walk the batter. Which resulted in a 7.08.E.12 balk, and a run in. To prevent further meltdown and to defuse the situation I ask the coach if he wants to put the runner on. "YES!!" So I award the batter first per 7.06.K.1 I end the game when the BR touches first base.

While I was still on the field an AC yelled at me that, "You are a jerk and you are a horrible umpire!"

I eject him an the manager per 10.05.

It took a while for things to calm down..

I am looking for general comments and an answer to this question to those that work these games.

When time expires with the home team winning and batting do you allow the current batter to complete his at bat? This is how I have seen 7.03.B Comment interpreted dozens of times and with many partners I have worked with doing these games, but it blew up today.

This is really Only relavent in pool play where rats are fighting for run dif.

Thanks,

I work a lot of u trip. 

Lets see you have Home team winning in the bottom of the 5th.  Now time has expired.   The game should be immediately over.   No reason to continue the at bat .    I don't have  a reference right now or anything but that's how we do it.   I also think we copuld be liable if we continue play, when the game should be over, and something " bad" happens.    I'll  see if I can find a reference. 

• Like 1

There is the fine art of time management in any tournament. Lessons to learn.

Coup de gras.

TDs will really like it when you learn some of the un-written, un-spoken "rules" in tournament management.

When you start hearing things like: " This umpire starts on time, ends on time!"- "He really keeps his games moving!" and " Never any complaints from the experenced travel ball coaches on this umpire" you will stay very busy calling tournaments for the good TDs.

• Like 1

I have not done any USSSA games.  In the timed tournament games I do, if the home team is winning when time expires, you end the game instantly.  There is no need for the home team to continue batting; they already won.  And, you could be liable for whatever happens after you should have ended the game.

But, just out of curiosity, what does the USSSA rule 7.03B comment say?  (It's certainly not OBR 7.03 b that you refer to, so it must be some USSSA rule.)

Had LL opening day games yesterday. 2 hour limit or regulation game strictly enforced. I had a 7 inning game that got shut down at 4 1/2 due to time limit. Some teams yesterday were "slaggin' & draggin" . . .

. . . you're on the clock fellas' . . .

:-)

TDs will really like it when you learn some of the un-written, un-spoken "rules" in tournament management.

Would you mind giving me a copy of the "unwritten rules", so I do not have to learn them through mistakes like this?

My partner and I decided afterward on a policy in these situations of not touching the clock during batters, if a coach complains we check and the game is Done if we are expired, no matter what, before the next pitch.

Would you mind giving me a copy of the "unwritten rules", so I do not have to learn them through mistakes like this?

My partner and I decided afterward on a policy in these situations of not touching the clock during batters, if a coach complains we check and the game is Done if we are expired, no matter what, before the next pitch.

Sorry, this is another "unwritten rule", you have to learn em and make your own copy.

They are "Unwritten Rules" for a reason...... There is no substitute for experience.

Only one league I do with timed games has it written in the rules you must finish an at bat in progress, otherwise end it immediately. No need to continue, run up pitch counts, possible injuries, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk