Bit off more than I can chew

bluejerred
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3729 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Gents,

As a new umpire, I have jumped into all umpiring activities within my association with both feet and I feel that I have made a really good impression.  As an example, during our umpire clinic/scrimmage game this last weekend, the head instructor/assignor for our association moved me from the general clinic area on the JV field to relieve the plate umpire during a varsity scrimmage and kept me on the varsity field for the rest of the day (the other veterans were running the clinic and when they were done, made their way to the stands directly behind me).  I took this as a good thing but I would have to say it was unexpected. 

However, I am quickly finding out that with a wife and three young kids, I might not have as much time to work games and to show up to everything that I thought I had.  Have any of you found yourself in this situation where all of a sudden reality sets in and do most of your associations work around these types of scheduling conflicts?  Have any of you found that this all of a sudden burned a bridge?

Since I started HS ball, I have had limited availability, maybe working 2-4 games per week depending on weather. I take games when I can work, and I work them. I have been honest with my assignor, reliable for my partners, and cultivated a reputation of doing exactly what I say I will do.

With a limited schedule like that, I get games I am happy with (mostly the "better" or "best" games on any given day), and have had good tournament assignments.

I have a reasonable and fair-minded assignor, and that can make a huge difference. That bit, however, is largely out of our control.

As someone with a wife and three young kids, and a full time career, my advice is to manage your blocks well in advance.  I try to project my work / life schedule at least three weeks out and stay up to date on my blocks in arbiter daily.  If something changes with work / life, quickly get in to arbiter and update my blocks.  My assignors like to assign games once and will fine you for declines when you did not have the day blocked.  Remember, if you accept it, you own it.  Remember to have good balance between work / family / umpiring. 

post-1105-0-78342300-1392670582_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Don't be this guy:

Umpire at the first of the season: " I need all of the games I can get!"

Same umpire 1 month into season: " Nope, can't call Monday or Wednesday and call me on Friday and I will let you know how many games I can do on Saturday."

Same umpire 2 months into season: No answer when called

• Like 2

It's far, FAR better to block off more at the start and open up later if possible than the other way around. You don't have to apologize for not being available. Sure, it might slow down your advancement a little - but not nearly to the extent that turning back games will do so.

• Like 1

See if your assigner lets you do switches, all of mine do and it really helps to load up your schedule or change it to accommodate your family time. Just be sure to give them enough time to make and approve the switch and make sure it's a qualified partner.

I just went through this for the first time last year.  I have a wife, two young kids and a full time "real" job.  When scheduling games in advance, I limited myself to two nigthts a week.  Once the season started, anything that became avalabile on an "off night" was discussed with my wife BEFORE making myself available for the game.  Assignors in my area do not use online calendars as much as other areas.  Many times they will send out mass emails asking for umpires for upcoming dates (mostly for make up dates, Wisconsin weather can be tricky in the spring).  

The most important thing is to communicate well with your family and your assignors.  Don't make promises you can't keep and have open communication at all times

• Like 2

I just went through this for the first time last year.  I have a wife, two young kids and a full time "real" job.  When scheduling games in advance, I limited myself to two nigthts a week.  Once the season started, anything that became avalabile on an "off night" was discussed with my wife BEFORE making myself available for the game.  Assignors in my area do not use online calendars as much as other areas.  Many times they will send out mass emails asking for umpires for upcoming dates (mostly for make up dates, Wisconsin weather can be tricky in the spring).  

The most important thing is to communicate well with your family and your assignors.  Don't make promises you can't keep and have open communication at all times

Good family man here FIRST, I am convinced a good umpire as well!

• Like 1

I also have a wife and young daughter. Last year I worked every day during the week and then tournaments on the weekends. It was a lot and it started to become difficult to balance family and work. This year I have a graduate class on Wednedsays and can't work but have stayed open for the other days. Ny idea is that I enjoy umpiring and it's good for my family. I just make sure that I make the best of the time I do have off from work and umpiring. I think you just have to decide what is right for you and be upfront about it.

Similar situation here - I have a wife, young daughter, and a second one due in a month.

Unless there is a big tournament in town, I always block off Sundays so I can spend the entire day with my family.  I usually do the same with a weeknight (usually Wednesday or Thursday) throughout the season.  My supervisor does weekly assignments, so I always check with my wife's schedule before sending in my availability each week.

Now, down the stretch (June-July), I may umpire 14-21 straight days.  But my wife knows it is near the end of the season, and we will lose that extra income over the following couple months (umpiring is a great way to cover 3-4 bills each month).