Too Quick...What Do You Think?

MUAump2
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3868 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

35+ MSBL last night, I'm BU.  My partner is the same one from Monday night who showed up 20 mins late, wore a different color shirt than the one we talked to about, and pulled out his cell-phone to text between every half inning. 

Bottom of 4, close game, PU has called a wide zone all night.  Player-coach for VT is up, takes a low and outside (from where I was, that's what it looked like) for a called strike 3.  Heads towards his dugout and kind of yells, "That wasn't even close!"  My partner then ejected him.  I expected him to go ballistic, but kept pretty calm considering the circumstances.  I asked my partner after the game if he said something else that maybe I didn't hear from C, and he said no, just what I heard.  

I thought the EJ was very quick, considering he didn't curse, show him up, or make it personal.  What say you?

If the PU has been calling strikes there all day, then 4 digs in no one's got any excuse for not swinging at a ?-2 pitch there, no matter how non-rulebook the zone is. If its loud enough that you could here it with his back to you, I could understand an umpire pulling the trigger, particularly if there's been ongoing grumbling about the zone or calls in general up to that point in the game. Me personally, if there'd been no issues previously in the game, no other comments from that guy at the time, no gesturing or other histrionics, I'd probably give him a "knock it off" instead.

More out of curiosity than anything else, did you think it was within the zone that was being called that night but not something you would've called a strike, or did you think it was further out than what had been called so far? I doubt I'd eject a guy for "That wasn't even close", even if its loud, for a call I was... less than certain about.

• 1 month later...

35+ MSBL last night, I'm BU.  My partner is the same one from Monday night who showed up 20 mins late, wore a different color shirt than the one we talked to about, and pulled out his cell-phone to text between every half inning. 

Bottom of 4, close game, PU has called a wide zone all night.  Player-coach for VT is up, takes a low and outside (from where I was, that's what it looked like) for a called strike 3.  Heads towards his dugout and kind of yells, "That wasn't even close!"  My partner then ejected him.  I expected him to go ballistic, but kept pretty calm considering the circumstances.  I asked my partner after the game if he said something else that maybe I didn't hear from C, and he said no, just what I heard.  

I thought the EJ was very quick, considering he didn't curse, show him up, or make it personal.  What say you?

Adults+walking away+ no volume + non personal. I'm not even flinching.

Both of these posts go to my point.  No ejection should have been made.  He was walking away, didn't make it personal.  

Is the plate umpire a "veteran"/more experienced umpire?  The way he arrived and presented himself between innings makes it sound like he is either a less experienced umpire or he isn't into the game due to the lack of professionalism on the field.    Not to insult a fellow umpire and one I don't know but just from what I read, it seems that way and unprofessional umpires on the field is something that bugs me.

This past season I was able to have a couple real good quality umpires work under me as well as a 15 y/o express interest in becoming a [youth] umpire.   She did real good in the game she did with me and although I will be away on work and unable to work games with her this next season for more practice, I might try to connect her with a fellow umpiring veteran and decade+ friend and "call in a favor" to see if he could do some games with her on the bases to get some more experience working with some umpires who have the experience and know what they are doing.     The more quality umpires we havd both on the field and training new umpires to have good habits, the better it will be for all of us.  

I am of the belief that the professionalism of the umpire will impact to an extent how the coaches act.  If I was a coach and the umpire/s wasn't able to officiate the game properly and effectivly, I would question calls and decisions also. 

Appearance, Actions and how you present yourself as an umpire.  Arriving late isn't an option IMO.  If an umpire is less than 10 or 15 minutes early, they are late at the LL/JBO level.   Upper levels would be more most likely.     Appearance, Actions(calls and mechanics), and presentation often makes the difference.  

it is Men's League.  Time to ignore a lot and stop looking to toss.  It has to be really bad IMO to toss a MABL/MSBL.

My guys had three in this year's MSBL season: 1: "That's f^*%($# Bullsnort",  2: "That's two you've missed" and C) Picasso doing artwork in the opposite batter's box.