Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4809 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This past week I was honored to work the Little League Majors (11-12) NY State Tournament.  Met some good people, and it was neat to interact with the teams from different parts of the state.  Good baseball, and good times.  No major problems, other than I had a game go 9 innings (I was on the dish). :wave:

 

It was a nice way to end my season.  Now to get my gear all cleaned up and put away until next year.

  • Like 6
Posted

There's no Fall development leagues you can work? My gear would revolt if I tried to put it away before October!

Congrats on the State assignment!

Tim.

Posted

Nothing really around here.  I will just keep coming here to get my umpiring fix.  I am going to attend at least 1 day of the LLWS in Williamsport. Hoping to catch 3-4 games and watch the crews.  One of the WS umpires this year attended the Williamsport Spring Clinic that I was at.

Posted

That's too bad, Craig. We use the Fall season to develop the players that will be moving from the small diamond to the big diamond in the Spring. It gives the coaches, and the umpires an opportunity to help the players understand lead-offs and balk calls. Doing this allows us to start calling balks at the Juniors level early in the season. We also use the time as an extended umpires clinic to train our newer umpires in situational baseball, as well as basic mechanics and rules applications. It's very laid back and a lot of fun for all involved.

 

 

Tim.

Posted

That's pretty much true, Danny.  Got the snow blower all ready to go.  :lol:

 

Tim, right now the kids are all playing summer soccer since baseball is done. Then they are back to school in September.  Unfortunately they don't even seem to think baseball again until around April.  I am going to keep studying rulebooks & manuals, logging in here, and continuing to learn all I can.

 

I hope our state HS association holds a clinic again this year like they did last year.  Rob Drake and Lance Barrett instructed, and it was well attended.  

 

I hope to go to the week long LL Umpire School at some point, maybe in a year or 2. Now that I have local, district, section, and state LL tournaments under my belt, I would like to put in for Regionals after I attend the school.

Posted

He's in western NY, snow starts to fall there in 3 weeks? He had his 2 weeks of summer.  :yippie:

And now you can throw away that snow blower and not have to worry like cd does anymore. Baseball all year round for you now dtm. Expect to hear often from you during what is considered the off season for most people who are not in an area for year round ball. Keep the situations and updates on all the leagues you are in your new location.

Posted

Then they are back to school in September.

 

When I was growing up in the 1970s and living in Northern New Jersey the school year was September through June.  I wondered if they were still doing that.  Around here school started last week on August 1st and goes through May.  The goal is to finish the Fall semester before the Christmas break.

Posted

 

Then they are back to school in September.

 

When I was growing up in the 1970s and living in Northern New Jersey the school year was September through June.  I wondered if they were still doing that.  Around here school started last week on August 1st and goes through May.  The goal is to finish the Fall semester before the Christmas break.

 

 

School in NJ generally still starts right after Labor day and goes until about June 20. Four more weeks of summer vacation left!

Posted

Northwest and Western playoffs in San Bernardino for couple days. Weather is great, mountains are beautiful. In between innings get to stare at the para gliders hovering over the mountains.

Out of this group of LLers I am watching Washington very closely, and North California. 

Great players and great coaches. 

 

Did I ever mention I hate black shirts on sunny days?  Clueless....  

Posted

Northwest and Western playoffs in San Bernardino for couple days. Weather is great, mountains are beautiful. In between innings get to stare at the para gliders hovering over the mountains.

Out of this group of LLers I am watching Washington very closely, and North California. 

Great players and great coaches. 

 

Did I ever mention I hate black shirts on sunny days?  Clueless....  

 

What do you think about the SoCal team from Chula Vista?  They seem to be the team to beat in the West.  Washington appears to be the best of the Northwest.

Posted

No I haven't been here long enough to work any games. They tell me maybe 3 years. Starting over.  But Washington and Oregon are strong, although Oregon lost to them this morning. It was last inning grand slam that sealed it. Both California teams look great, but I hear that is very normal here.  One team has 7 batting coaches traveling with them $$$$$$$  WOW!!

I will be heading there again on Saturday. Let me know if any of you will be there. Lunch will be on me.  The sausage, peppers and onions on a roll and 2 ears of corn for 5 bucks is a bargain.

 

I wore my Coast Guard Veteran hat Sunday, it was the Coast Guard 223rd anniversary. The hat got me a free ice tea and a cheesburger.  Might wear it again this weekend. 

Posted

@Dannytheman Are you working any of the games?? The AZ team is the LL that I am the UIC for. Good group of kids!

@KLAH316  Should I drop your name??  Honestly, all these kids are great, less cocky than back east by far.  Just my opinion.

Posted

Danny, I may drive up there with my son on Saturday if I don't get any USSSA games. I should know by Thursday and will let you know. The games are at 2:00 and 5:00, correct?

Posted

Danny, I may drive up there with my son on Saturday if I don't get any USSSA games. I should know by Thursday and will let you know. The games are at 2:00 and 5:00, correct?

Yes that is correct!!  Thursday night is the Washington game, after tonight we will know the finals.

×
×
  • Create New...