Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4834 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Why don't umpires (or NFL refs for that matter) wear cleats? They have to do quite a bit of running and turning/pivoting.  It seems like cleats would be helpful in these situations, especially for games with a slick field.  There are all black (or primarily black) cleats out there, is there a reason umps don't do it? They're worried it will tear up the grass or something?

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Posted

I'd say that first off, we arent players and dont have the need for the specialized cleats that players wear......and there is a safety aspect.......I know a young plate umpire who wore his steel baseball cleats and hurt a young catcher badly by stepping on his foot.................and finally, if you look at the umpire shoes out there... (plate and base)....you will find that the vast majority have a traction sole of differing styles.......

Posted

I'd say that first off, we arent players and dont have the need for the specialized cleats that players wear......and there is a safety aspect.......I know a young plate umpire who wore his steel baseball cleats and hurt a young catcher badly by stepping on his foot.................and finally, if you look at the umpire shoes out there... (plate and base)....you will find that the vast majority have a traction sole of differing styles.......

Agreed, we are not players!  Some umpire shoes have better soles than others.  I have NB shoes, but am interested in the reebok the seem to have a much better design for their shoes.  

Posted

The year I went to Wendelstedt's we had a guy show up with metal cleats.  The way we looked at it...1 down, 171 more guys to go.

  • Like 1
Posted

I've worn turf shoes (which I imagine are similar to umpire shoes but please correct me if I'm wrong) at many baseball practices and while I felt comfortable shagging  fly balls, stretching and doing basic jogging, I never felt comfortable having to sudden changes of direction with them.

 

I get that there is a safety issue with umpires stepping on other people's feet, but isn't there just as big a safety issue with players possibly stepping on an umpire's feet?  I feel like I would consider it a little ridiculous to see an umpire in cleats just because it's not common, but if that perception wasn't out there, would we still all feel the same way?

Posted

I wear NBs every "nice" day and I wear Reeboks with the better bottom on mudder days.  NBs tend to be more flat where the Reeboks have a nice multi-turf bottom.  Same goes for my base shoes.

Posted

IMO It is a comfort thing too. Over 7,9, 14, 18 ... innings always being on your feet would kill me in most cleats I've had. We don't do a lot where we have to instantly change direction or where traction is an issue. 

Posted

I wear trainers on the field where I currently live, a desert with little humidity. No slipping on the grass. In other areas I would wear the MLB NB shoes. As far as a player stepping on my shoes, never been anywhere near that situation on the bases. On the plate you should be wearing plate shoes at all levels, imo. Cleats shouldn't penetrate plate shoes. And on that wild chance of getting hit by a perfect storm type of pitch on one of your toes, you sure would have wished you had plate shoes on when it splits your toenail.

×
×
  • Create New...