Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5678 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Last year I had the opportunity to be behind the plate with the worst team in the area hosting the best. Home team = 1 and 13. Visitor = 12-0. The first 5 hitters had tree limbs for arms, and they showed it. They were all going to D1. Top of 2nd, 9-0 already. The little left hander for the home team could put it on a dime. Wherever the catcher put his mitt, he hits it. 2-4 inches outside, and I'm saying strike. In the 3rd inning the home team decides to test me. The little left hander goes to 8-10 inches outside. "Ball". He walks about 5-6 in the 3rd. Home runs follow after several 3-0's. Catcher says "Cory, it's NOT your fault". I ignore, even though he's talking to me. (as you know) After 5, 18-0, visitors win. After the game was over, I take the baseballs over to the home coach. He looks at me and says "terrible terrible terribe". So I said "coach, keep playing hard, you'll get better". His face got red; mine did too. His with anger, mine with laughter. For any new guys, don't think I'm advocating a comeback philosophy. I shoulda just walked away. But it puts a smile on my face when I think of it. But if you do say something like that, don't look for quality ratings. I'm 60 and not looking to go to the "show". Also, when the nay-sayers chip in, I'm sure I'll hear about it. But - they've done it too.

  • Like 1
Posted

After the game was over, I take the baseballs over to the home coach. He looks at me and says "terrible terrible terribe".

This is why I don't physically take the balls to the home team. :)

Posted

(Heavy sigh) Dave, Dave, Dave: God Bless you for getting out there at age 60 (although I'll be there in 2 years). However, I've learned in my real job (I work with a bunch of attorney's) It's something I've carried for a long time: "You Never Get In Trouble For What You DON'T Say". Geez, the Coach just got his a** handed to him, he's pissed at his team, he's pissed at himself, he's pissed at you (albeit undeservedly), and you decide it's a good idea to turn it into a Teaching Moment for him. Do you really think something good will come out of it? You're asking him to respond. which causes you to respond, which causes him to ratchet it up: now you've got a post-game ejection, and why? Roll the da** ball towards his dugout and walk out the gate!

We teach a simple rule over here " Walk out the gate on the winning side: they're the people who hate you rhe least". I'll never go near, or say a word to the losing team (especially in this instance). Let it go, Indy! (Sorry, Indiana Jones Marathon the other day).

×
×
  • Create New...