Who is watching the fake tag obstruction in FED...

LMSANS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4010 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

According to the coach, these 2 scenarios came up in a game yesterday.  2-man HS Varsity under NFHS.  HT is 12-4, VT is 4-8, crosstown rivals...

1 - HT R2, 0 out - ground ball in the hole between 3b & SS.  F6 makes good play, but the throw is a little off line.  BU makes call at first on a close play with F3 doing a nice stretch.  PU(me) is on POP, my head is on a swivel as R2 breaks for 3B.  I focus on F3, and then turn towards 3B to make sure of the touch.  HC starts complaining about a fake tag that caused his player to slide.  I didn't see the fake tag, but I am sure R2 touched 3B.

2 - HT R1, R3, 1 out - R1 goes for the steal of 2B, F2 fakes a throw and holds the ball.  I see the fake and turn my attention to R3 to make sure nothing is happening here.  BU never turns because there was no throw.  HC starts complaining about a fake tag that caused his player to slide.  I didn't see the fake tag, I was looking towards R3.

I have seen/called one fake tag in HS in 8 years and this guy is looking for 2 in one game.  They may have happened, but who should see it...other than the coach?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It may or may not have happened, but I don't see how you could have done much better. If you see it, fine, but it's lower on the priority list than the other things you mentioned.

Here is my follow-up, if we had seen both obstructions, what bases would be awarded...under FED rules?

1. R2 awarded 3B + home?

2. R1 awarded 2B + 3B forcing R3 home?

Here is my follow-up, if we had seen both obstructions, what bases would be awarded...under FED rules?

1. R2 awarded 3B + home? Fake tag at 3B

2. R1 awarded 2B + 3B forcing R3 home? fake tag at 2B

The fake tag in many cases is the PU. From your description I am not sure where the fake tags were.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Larry,

1. R2 awarded 3B + home?

2. R1 awarded 2B + 3B forcing R3 home?

Based on your description I'd have...

1. Leave R2 at 3B. He was obstructed before reaching 3B, so 3B is the "mandatory minimum" and it sure doesn't sound like he would have gotten any further absent the fake tag obstruction.

2. Leave R1 at 2B. He was obstructed before reaching 2B, so 2B is the "mandatory minimum" and it sure doesn't sound like he would have gotten any further absent the fake tag obstruction.

JM

I agree with John. Unless you think absent the obstruction he would have made the extra base, it is just the one he is going to. The difference is it also draws a warning, then an ejection.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2