Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5737 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am in the market for new shin guards. I currently have a pair of Wilson West Vest Pro 16-17 inch model. I like them very much, the are very protective, but They are very bulky and tend to make my pants tight around the knee when I get into my squat. (I wear Honig Poly-Wools) Also they don't allow me to move very well when I'm running around. I have been thinking about the Wilson Charcoal shin guards or the Diamond iX3. If you guys have any input on these two shin guards or any other shin guards you recommend I would be happy to hear. Also I know many shin guards are in different sizes and I am about 5'9 so I wondering if maybe a 15 inch shin guards would be a better fit for me.

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I use the Gerry Davis 2-Strap Shin Guards and I absolutely love them

I am 5'7" and use the 15" I think if I was a bit taller i would still use the 15"

Posted

I am in the market for new shin guards. I currently have a pair of Wilson West Vest Pro 16-17 inch model. I like them very much, the are very protective, but They are very bulky and tend to make my pants tight around the knee when I get into my squat. (I wear Honig Poly-Wools) Also they don't allow me to move very well when I'm running around. I have been thinking about the Wilson Charcoal shin guards or the Diamond iX3. If you guys have any input on these two shin guards or any other shin guards you recommend I would be happy to hear. Also I know many shin guards are in different sizes and I am about 5'9 so I wondering if maybe a 15 inch shin guards would be a better fit for me.

Your height has nothing to do with this really, ...it's the measurement from the hollow of your knee to the top of your instep that matters.

Go to the 'search' area on this forum (equipment) and type in "shin guards" , ... you'll be reading for months!;)

Posted

I am in the market for new shin guards. I currently have a pair of Wilson West Vest Pro 16-17 inch model. I like them very much, the are very protective, but They are very bulky and tend to make my pants tight around the knee when I get into my squat. (I wear Honig Poly-Wools) Also they don't allow me to move very well when I'm running around. I have been thinking about the Wilson Charcoal shin guards or the Diamond iX3. If you guys have any input on these two shin guards or any other shin guards you recommend I would be happy to hear. Also I know many shin guards are in different sizes and I am about 5'9 so I wondering if maybe a 15 inch shin guards would be a better fit for me.

I use the same ones you have and have to use a true Plate cut pants. These are the best ones I have ever strapped on Had the Wilson Charcoals then Diamonds (not enough protection).

Posted

I have the WV Platinum/Charcoal and they fit fine. I am approx. the same height as you are. I did adjust the lower padding to fit better against the mid cut plate shoes.

I just got a pair of Honigs K2010. (I posted a review but, it has not been posted?) This is a very nice pair. The padding is more like the WV models and has some side protection. The biggest (or smallest benefit) to the Honigs is that they come in 5 sizes from 15"-19". I have the 16". This model comes as a double knee and can be converted to a triple knee. At about $60 this is good deal. Also the toe plate is easily removable (without a knife) if you have plate shoes. The profile appears to be a a little less rounded than the WV P/C. I don't really care for the plastic buckles but, they shouldn't be much of an issue.

Posted

I have the K2010's in 17" and HATE them. They are very bulky and hard to run in. The only saving grace is the are BULLET proof...I have taken several hard shots to them and felt nothing. I will be replacing them this year!

Posted

I kept saying I was going to replace my OLD Douglas West Vest Shins, but have still to do it. Yes they're bulky, I feel like they slow me down, but they aren't uncomfortable and I trust them.

Posted

I feel bulletproof when I wear my wilson WV triple knee guards. I also have a set of the diamond ump-lites and love them, but there is a trade off. When taking a hit on them I sometimes feel it, but never bruise or anything. Mobility is much better than in the wilsons...just have to make a choice of where you want to compromise.

My wilsons are worn during the HS season and I switch to the diamonds in the hotter summer months for Little League ball.

Posted

I have the Diamond iX3's and love them. I feel the protection is solid and don't have any issues with mobility or anything. That being said, they're pretty bulky. I've never worn the WV, but I've seen them on others; if you think they're too bulky, you probably won't like the iX3.

Posted

I had the Diamond iX3's for a while. They were okay but really bulky like ukce said. I tried the Honigs "college model" for a while last summer. They were extremely light (because they're single knee), but I felt exposed and they also made my pants catch on the back of my shoes. I ended up selling them on eBay I think.

I ended up finding some barely used Wilson charcoals on eBay for a good price and bought them. They are just right for me. Not too bulky, but give really good protection. The padding is really good and you can remove it to clean it as well. I like the material that Wilson uses (same as the chest protectors) a lot better than Diamond's material.

Posted

I am a big fan of the Wilson Gerry Davis Shins. When I got started I had the good fortune to live near the home of the original Ump-Attire owner (before Jim Kirk owned it) I just went to their shop/warehouse and tried on everything they had and then chose what I liked. I first owned the original style Gerry Davis Shin guards in 15". They were bulky in size(width) but light and I absolutely loved the two straps only on the calf and ankle not the knee feature.

Then I got the 17" as I use the "pure" GD stance as illustrated and explained by Carl Childress a few years back on Officiating.com (don't have the PDF's of those articles anymore BTW so if anyone I sent them to has them I would love my own copy again). I tuck my hands in under the shin guards and "lock in" the loose kneecap cover protects the backs of my hands. I have been hit there in the kneecap with my hands underneath but never felt a thing. I got the 17" size because I thought they would give me even more protection and they did. The only drawback to them for me was the width on my lower leg was extra wide for my leg size.

Then Gerry/Wilson fixed my problem with a new model the DaviShins with a flex/break on the sides of the shin part and now I feel completely protected, very light weight (or seems that way) and no extra wide feeling on my lower legs.

I am very happy with them and although they seem expensive, ($85.90 at Gerry Davis Sports) I don't remember paying that much two years ago, I would pay that again knowing what I know. (URL to the GDS page: http://www.gerrydavis.com/mm5/category/gerrydavis/product/B17PR126575 )

My two cents, your mileage may vary........


×
×
  • Create New...