Wednesday Video! Phills-Astros

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5013 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st check swing he went imo

2nd check swing I thought he held up

Looked to me like the ej was based on the 1st check reaction, because Howard was tossed pretty much as soon as he left the box

;)

You only have a 3u view on the second one though .........

It looks to me like Howard "went" on both pitches.

I have no problem with Barry's body language after the first half swing. However, if Howard was not beaking at him (and only put his hands on his hips) that he shouldn't've done this, as it likely would lead to Howard feeling mocked.

If he was chirping, by all means, go ahead...it is a great way to convey "I hear you, but shut up." without having to say anything.

Moving on...

A) Gibson should've made the ejection

;) Gibson should've gotten himself in front of Howard.

C) Nice job of U2 coming over and getting in between.

D) I think once someone restrains Howard, Scott needed to turn and walk away. Watching the replay, he just stood there and glared at him as Howard got dragged off.

First check swing - yes easily

2nd closer it could go either way, I don't think this is a FYC, but if you show your a$$ your not going to get the benefit of the doubt.

As for who should eject I have no problem with Barry tossing him, Howard has the beef with Barry and is arguing with him not Gibson.

While I'm not a Philly fan I've generally liked Howard, but I hope him charging an umpire lets him enjoy the next 10 or so games from the comfort of his home. But our weak commishioner probably won't do anything. He's too busy admiring his statue in Milwauke.

You know I was watching... great job by the crew.

That was a nice call at 1st.

I have no problem with either of the check swing calls because they are judgment calls and the umpire had a good look at them. I have no problem with the ejection either because of the thrown equipment.

The problem I have is with the umpire striking a pose to mock the player's reaction and then staring the player down for an extended time. This body language only escalates an already tense extra-innings situation. Both the player and the umpire reacted poorly.

I am a Phillies fan but I think he went and he made a fool of himself which is typically not like Howard. That was the eighth or ninth time in two games he had whiffed and I think it was frustration.

Speaking as a fan I am frustrated. The Phillies have played horrendous baseball all season , with the exception of a couple of good weeks ,and really should be running away with the division but instead find themselves struggling to make the wildcard and are lucky to be there. I think it's time Charlie kicked some sh!t around in the clubhouse. No excuse for some of the play I've seen this season. ;)