Umpire school

Triguy29
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4374 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Im currently a teacher but it looks like I very well may be getting cut next year. I am really thinking about going to Evans school. Just trying to convince my wife and find the money. Am I too old at 31 to hope to make it to PBUC. If I do make it would I possibly get an area where I live?

No, you're not too old. Where they place you, if you get in, would be up in the air (I don't know if you get much of a choice after PBUC)...I suppose if you get to that point, I'm sure they'd listen to a request, but probably no guarantees.

Make sure Evans can send honor graduates to PBUC in 2013. If he can, then you're good.

Im currently a teacher but it looks like I very well may be getting cut next year. I am really thinking about going to Evans school. Just trying to convince my wife and find the money. Am I too old at 31 to hope to make it to <acronym title="he Professional Baseball Umpire Corp.">PBUC</acronym>. If I do make it would I possibly get an area where I live?

"Just trying to convince my wife and find the money."

This says it all IMHO. Take care of your wife and yourself. Forget about the rest.

Now, from what I have read here and there.

No one associated with the schools will answer in the negative concerning questions about age. To honestly answer age questions in the negative will bring tons of lawsuits just like in the real world. They can think it and do it, but they can't say it and do it.

Absolutely nobody on the full-time MLBUs staff today started MiLB in their 30's.

The current full time MLBUs that stepped on a Minor League field for their first game ever at the oldest age were Cuzzi at 29, Hudson at 28 and Rapuano at 27.

The last 3 umpires to step on an Minor League field for their first game ever in their 30's that became MLBUs were Charlie Williams at 32, Durwood Merrill at 34 and Frank Pulli at 33. They have all retired, and back then you could skip leagues and make it to MLB in 4 or 5 years.

Absolutely no one on the current call-up list started MiLB in their 30's.

However, many D1 umpires have gone to the umpire school and that is pretty much the prerequisite for D1 now. In the old days you could just move from HS to College and some former players went right into College. It looks like with a completely open schedule you can work the Conference games on Weekends and a couple non-conference during the week. There are 15 weeks during the season which includes the Conference tournament, so you can pocket up to 30k before expenses and taxes if you can get the time off and live in an area that has several D1 teams within driving distance or they will fly you. You can go another 2 weeks if you get a Regional and Super Regional or a Regional and a CWS.

I am not trying to encourage or discourage you. I am only trying to give what I have found on the subject.

• Like 1

I don't know how you chose the name dumb dumb but with that answer you should change it to holySH*#iknoweverything. Thanks for the feedback. It really helped and I think I still want to go. Either I'll get college games or you will have to add a name of someone in their thirties.

• Like 1

holySH*#iknoweverything. Thanks for the feedback. It really helped and I think I still want to go.

1. Boy do I wish that were true. 2. Your welcome. 3. From what I have read, I would encourage anyone who can pull it off with the time and the resources, to go to one of the schools for the full 4 to 5 weeks. I have not heard of anyone who thought is was a total waste of their time and money.

If the 4-5 week program is out of reach for time and resources, I believe I have seen where there are a couple of 1 week clinics by the same sources that are very advantageous to attend and I have not heard of anyone mentioning that the 1 week programs are a waste of time or money.

I did a google map of the PA location, if that is your true location, and you might want to try and talk to some of the AA guys that come into Reading to umpire. They might be open to letting you ask some questions that are on your mind. Maybe the Minor League guys have some insight, since they might have been thinking everything that you are thinking before they decided to take the leap. You may run into some that are married and can give you that perspective also. I do not know how to set up a formal meeting with the Minor League umpires, so maybe those that do fit the monicker of holys$$$iknoweverthing on this topic from this board can help.

Once again, good luck to you in the future.

Good luck, if that's truly your dream then give it a shot. But hedge your bets. See if there's something you can do on the side in off-seasons/daytime on the weekdays before games. Pick up other sports, perhaps, like basketball. Can you do some substitute teaching? Tutoring? Could you transition into corporate training? Maybe you won't have one job for awhile, but you could piece together a bunch of little ones. There may be some lean times in the future - make sure you're both on board, or it could be uncomfortable. Or worse.

You need to read "As they see 'em" by Bruce Weber. Great insight into the PBUC world. Also, JE has had some issues of late. Not saying anything against the school, but make sure they are still "accredited (spelling?)". I don't think they are.

The last I heard about the JEA was that after this year's class (2012), PBUC would not be accepting candidates from the JEA because of they incident that occurred at an instructor gathering this past winter.

I went to umpire pro school fairly recently. I was one of the older guys , but fairly new to upping as I had 2 seasons of Rec ball experience before I went. I didn't do as well as I wanted to and after coming home I was able to get a full schedule of high school varsity games ( tho no play off assignments ) , and make enough connections to umpire 4-5 days a week and work travel ball tourneys on the weekend.

Going to pro school is a way to learn a lot about umpiring fast. It gets your foot in the door and if you can make the right connections you can climb the ladder pretty quick . I'm not that old and I'm thinking bout going back in a year after working college games next yr.

you might not want to go to Evans.. that school is not allowed to send guys to PBUC.. your other choices are TUS "The umpire school" or Harry's..here is my story

I am 36 now 35 t the time.. I decided to go to Harry's to make my College career take off.. ( wow did it) I worked my ass off everyday, and for my hard work I got sent to PBUC. I was the oldest guy and the only guy with kids ( I have 4). Truth be told I only wanted to work in the Minors for a few years just for the resume, and to say I did it.. Well, at PBUC i was the oldest and only umpire with kids, take a guess where I finished?.. dead last.. Warren has seen me work and he can tell you I wasn't bad...only too find out this year, I was past over cause I have a family. Fair or foul, it is what it is...I was watched by to fill-in guys at PBUC and they told me I looked pretty damn good..so when judgment day came, I was told they didn't have a job for me, and I was put on the reserve list, and they hire guys off the list all the time... I was 6 people away from making it....

Going to Umpire is very fun, and worth every penny, you will learn a lot..and the friends you make will last a lifetime. Heck I have Army buddies I don't talk too as much as i do Umpires..LOL

Your umpiring career ( even if you don't make it) will advance much faster than those who don't go.. it is a fact, why....... cause of the why your trained, the rules, the Mechanics, and how you move on a field...

I hope this can help a little, if you have questions PM me...

Another buddy of mine ( roommate at Harry's to be exact) was 34 at the time, and he finished just ahead of me...LOL so age is a factor... but at 31 I think your ok.. the thing is MiLB wants umpire at a good age, so there investment is worth it.. on average a umpire who can make it will spend 10 years int he minors.. so if your 22. and you spend 10 years , your 32 and can spend easy 25+ years in the Major leagues...PBUC took chances on umpires all the time....

Thanks a lot Haid. That really helps and I think I'm leaning towards going and going to Harry's. I will take whatever I get and go wherever the road leads. If it's the minors great, if it's D1 great. Either way right now I want to go as far as I possibly can.

I don't know how you chose the name dumb dumb but with that answer you should change it to holySH*#iknoweverything.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I have the same thoughts every time I read his posts on MiLB umpires.

That was funny.