You're an Umpire now... read the rules!

SnareDrum
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4416 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Our local Parks & Rec baseball leagues started this week, so I once again have had the opportunity to "train" the newbies. So far, I've had 6, and I'll have at least that many more before the week is out.

We start them off in the 8 & 9 year old coach pitch leagues (1 ump), and after working one inning myself, they take the field... usually for the first time ever. Before the game, I talk with them a little bit about playing and/or umpiring experience, do they have any questions, basic mechanics, etc.

Our leagues use OBR with exceptions such as time and run limits, equipment, and the usual basics, so I ask them if they have any questions about the league rules. Most needed a few things clarified, but nothing major since they all had to attend the rules meetings two weeks before. Then I ask them if they've read the Official Baseball Rules... so far, every last one of them have answered, "No." (One said, "I know a few of them, because I played.")

What I wanted to say ( :wave:) was a lot different than what I actually said. I told them all to get online ASAP and read, read, read... and that the next time they saw me, which would be soon, they were going to get a pop quiz... and that they were going to have major on-field problems very soon if they didn't get to reading.

I can foresee getting the same answers tonight. Why would any one that was serious about officiating ANY sport skip reading the rules? Do you think this is mostly unique to baseball? I know there are lot of other trainers and clinicians out there... what would you tell a newb that showed up saying he'd never read OBR?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dix and Welpe: Thanks!

Maybe my expectations are a little high. But these guys, and one girl, will be going solo their next time out and even though they'll be doing younger age leagues, most of the teams are pretty good... and their expectations of our officials seems to be high as well. Even though they're new, they'll be working 6-12 games per week for the rest of the summer.

Without putting words in your mouth, you're both recommending to teach them as the summer goes and wait for a mess? Last year, the mess was when R2 was struck by a ground ball after it went between the legs of F6 in a tournament. He called the runner out, and in the ensuing brouhaha, two coaches got ejected. Of course, that team lost by one run, and lost the next game... probably because they were missing two coaches. Our umpire said that he "thought" that any runner was automatically out when they got hit with a ball, whether it was batted or thrown.

I'm going to chat with my chief tonight for some input, and more input from all of you is welcome too!

No not at all but to be honest, that's how everybody learns this craft in a sense. We're all going to make mistakes but it's how we learn from them that ensures we don't keep making the same ones.

What I am saying is that I wouldn't expect somebody that has never umpired nor gone through any training to have already read the rules. Part of new official training should be to teach the basic rules and then encourage further study of the rules.

Of course we have to read and study the rules. Anyone on this board knows that. Getting more than 20% of the Rec League umpires to do so is just not practical.

I called a game with a guy with 20 years experience this week. He calls a balk (softly so I can't hear, or echo it), B2 hits the pitch, R3 scores, B2 is thrown out at 1B. Partner asks coach if he wants the run+out or if he wants to put R3 back on 3rd and B2 back in the box (ugh). I am hoping the coach calls BS, but he doesn't, instead he "opts" for both runners to return. I am virtually facepalming when the coach realizes the count was 3-2 and is POSITIVE that he gets a ball awarded on the balk, so the BR should go to 1B.

Well now it's all messed up and both coaches are yelling at my partner and he finally comes for help. I tell him "Coach gets no choice, so . . ." and my partner cuts me off and turns around and says "Coach you get no choice!!" and tries to award ball 4 and put B2 on 1B and all hell breaks loose.

Finally I grabbed my partner, explained the rule, offered to explain it to the coaches, but he still wants to own it so before he could screw it up any worse I turn to the scorekeeper and explain the call and instruct her to record my ruling and even though my ruling (the right ruling) makes no sense to anyone at this point, everyone is nodding their head in agreement and happy someone finally corralled my partner and made a decision.

They pay us $35 for 1:45 minutes of umpiring, but some of us can't be bothered to learn enough to stay out of trouble.

He is a prime example of one year experience twenty times. There is no reason, none under any expectation that a twenty year guy screws that up. I would be inclined to try and make sure he doesn't see twenty-one. I am all for training when possible but this guy sounds like he could care less with learning.

Last night, we had one who said he had umpired before... I think he said 3 years... so even though this particular league (11U Rec) will be one-man, I worked the field with him for one game, then he was on his own for the second. I hang out by the fence along the RF foul line and evaluate and observe and, as instructed by the higher ups, I'm not to intervene.

3rd inning, R1, batter with 2-1 count foul tips to F2 as R1 breaks for 2B. As the catcher comes up throwing, he loudly calls "foul ball". F6 catches the throw, trots over to the runner who had stopped just short of the 2B to turn around, and tags him. Yes, R1 back to 1B, 2-2 on the batter who promptly doubles, inning ends with those two runners on, game ends in a tie with some very angry coaches. After his call, and much yelling, he waved me over. I told him he had to stick with his call, and I would talk to him after the game. In this case, there was really not much I could do.

After the game, he was visibly upset and I broke down Foul Tip vs. Foul Ball. He said he thought everything was a foul ball and a foul tip meant a foul "tipped" back to the screen. :smachhead: He said, "Sh*t! I guess I better read the rules before next time. I thought I knew them." I said, "That would be great."

Should it really take a mess like this or others to "force" an official to read the rules of their respective sport?

Gonna go out on a limb here as I ran into this earlier this week. Youth league coaches and umpires rarely read the rules and In fact, most don't even know which rule set / sets that they are suppose to be working with. Going 1 step further, I also say that many middle / high school programs don't know either and wing it. (Mention FED rules to a coach that is a door mat in your league and see if he looks at you like you have horns on your head.)

I would have any umpire to read rule 2. I don't expect them to initially read the whole rulebook, it would do no good, they wouldn't understand it. However, by reading rule 2 they will get a good uncomplicated basis to start and hopefully make them realize that they need to read more. To be honest, I worked 7 or 8 years before I ever saw a rulebook. I tried to do as good a job as possible but with no training, no internet and no assoc to get information I was flying blind. Many leagues still operate that way. I do everything possible to help teach youth umpires but it still an uphill battle.

Will they get themselves in messes, sure, but the thing to stress is to read and understand rule two. Then as situations come up they should be encouraged to call you.

I would have any umpire to read rule 2. I don't expect them to initially read the whole rulebook, it would do no good, they wouldn't understand it. However, by reading rule 2 they will get a good uncomplicated basis to start and hopefully make them realize that they need to read more. To be honest, I worked 7 or 8 years before I ever saw a rulebook. I tried to do as good a job as possible but with no training, no internet and no assoc to get information I was flying blind. Many leagues still operate that way. I do everything possible to help teach youth umpires but it still an uphill battle.

Will they get themselves in messes, sure, but the thing to stress is to read and understand rule two. Then as situations come up they should be encouraged to call you.

Excellent advice. I always give my guys my phone # and e-mail, and recommend cruising around here on U-E. Rule 2 never occurred to me, but that's why I posted this here... to get ideas and ways to help. Those definitions would be a great start, and would indeed probably lead them in to read more.

Anybody else?

"Crusing around here on U-E" and "lurking" is what I would reccommend for newbies. I certainly would NOT throw (post ) anything out there. The long time posters on here are not to kind to someone who would screw up or post a wrong rule or interpretation. There was a ridiculous thread a while back where a post ( and poster ) got BBQ for throwing out something that ended up being a wrong interpretation. Man, did people line up to let him have it ( and no I am not talking about the taking signs from the rubber thread )

My favorite part was after the dust cleared, moderators and others tried explain it off saying that " as an umpire you should be able to take your medicine if your wrong, etc, etc, etc......" Well, thats BS for a newbie starting out. Did you say you had 6 so far? Youd have 2 if you encouraged them to do anything more than lurk around here.

There are times where things things get said harshly but I think it is more the exception not the rule. Now there are times where somebody asks a question but then argues the answers are wrong. That will lead to bombs being lobbed. I always try to disagree conversationally but sometimes things need to said more strongly. Also, sometimes what is said reads differently than intended. If anybody feels there are unneeded flames please report it to me, Warren or any other staff. Warren's intention here is to have a user friendly board, not always possible as it grows.

I'll echo Mike's comments. The culture here, unlike other boards, is one of learning. In most of the situations you're alluding to, the poster becomes defensive and tries to stand their ground, arguing against the people who are much more skilled. This is a recipe for disaster.

In most situations, a "know-it-all" will be ground into the dirt, especially in an anonymous forum and even more so when they're new to the game. I made the same mistakes on another forum and learned quickly.

In short, it's not the ignorance or naivety that we jump on; it's the arguing against a tornado that we do.

"Crusing around here on U-E" and "lurking" is what I would reccommend for newbies. I certainly would NOT throw (post ) anything out there. The long time posters on here are not to kind to someone who would screw up or post a wrong rule or interpretation. There was a ridiculous thread a while back where a post ( and poster ) got BBQ for throwing out something that ended up being a wrong interpretation. Man, did people line up to let him have it ( and no I am not talking about the taking signs from the rubber thread )

My favorite part was after the dust cleared, moderators and others tried explain it off saying that " as an umpire you should be able to take your medicine if your wrong, etc, etc, etc......" Well, thats BS for a newbie starting out. Did you say you had 6 so far? Youd have 2 if you encouraged them to do anything more than lurk around here.

It's not really "BS for a newbie starting out." Look, are you - or the newbies in question - actually out on the field doing games right now? I'm assuming the answer is 'yes.' So if you are, paid or not, you are out there as an umpire and expected to know your s--t. And you will get Flayed. Alive. by coaches out there if you don't. Or even if you just show signs of weakness. So, even though we talk about umpires "starting out" at lower levels, you don't get a practice game, like the kids. We're expected to be perfect the first game, and get better from there.

So what moderators and others are saying is that "if you [the rhetorical you, not necessarily 'detailshp'] can't take Internet comments and criticisms, how the eff are you going to be out on the ballfield?" Coaches and players are your best friends. Until they aren't.

And although I can't say I've been on every forum out there, I will tell you this: if you think you're getting roasted on U-E, two things: 1) you are entirely too sensitive for this avocation, and 2) don't go on officiating.com or ABUA if you think it's bad here. U-E has been set up as the "anti McGriffs," and we like it that way.

(Also, for the newbies out here: if you do post something, and are given a particular answer, don't then disagree or argue it, unless you have some specific (authoritative) interpretation or quote from the rulebook. If it's a universal response, there's a reason for it: it's the known, correct, ruling/interpretaion. Remember: the gazelle that runs the other way from the rest of the herd DOES make it on TV; unfortunately for him, it's the NatGeo channel, and he's on there because he got eaten.)

Well that went about how I figured it would. And, based on what is was written, especially by Hokieump, I would certainly NOT advise newbies to post on here. I am not a new umpire. I have certainly been given my fair share of BBQings. I don't mind. In response to your question, I have 8 games in already this year and out of the 8 weeks left in the HS season around here, I have 40 games left. Thats just my HS season. (Not really relevant to the discussion, however)

I do agree that other forums are less forgiving. I have also stated on those other forums that I wouldnt post there either as a new umpire.

Maybe Hokieump and you guys can come up with a posting guideline. Be sure to include the phrase "Remember: the gazelle that runs the other way from the rest of the herd DOES make it on TV; unfortunately for him, it's the NatGeo channel, and he's on there because he got eaten.) "

I am sure the new umpires learning our craft would enjoy that line.

It would certainly be better than "if you cant take internet criticism, then why the eff are you out on the field." I think your experience has blinded you to how you felt as a new umpire.

Well that went about how I figured it would. And, based on what is was written, especially by Hokieump, I would certainly NOT advise newbies to post on here. I am not a new joker. I have certainly been given my fair share of BBQings. I don't mind. In response to your question, I have 8 games in already this year and ham sandwich of the 8 weeks left in the HS season around here, I have 40 games left. Thats just my HS season. (Not really relevant to the discussion, however)

I do agree that other forums are less forgiving. I have also stated on those other forums that I wouldnt post there either as a new joker.

Maybe Hokieump and you guys can come up with a posting guideline. Be sure to include the phrase "Remember: the gazelle that runs the other way from the rest of the herd DOES make it on TV; unfortunately for him, it's the NatGeo channel, and he's on there because he got eaten.) "

I am sure the new umpires learning our craft would enjoy that line.

It would certainly be better than "if you cant take internet criticism, then why the eff are you ham sandwich on the swamp." I think your experience has blinded you to how you felt as a new joker.

Sorry, but I have to respond to this.

First, if you're going to quote me, understand what I wrote. I didn't say, "if you can't take Internet criticism, WHY the eff are you on the swamp." It's a valid question, perhaps, but NOT what I asked. The second part was "HOW are you going to be on the swamp?" Meaning: are you going to get all insulted at The Bad Man yelling at you? Are you going to shut down? Or are you going to use whatever party management skills you have to resolve the situation and/or EJ someone that needs ejecting? Very different questions.

Second, I didn't ask your party count or your schedule. I can't compare, because I'm ham sandwich here cut off from an association or a schedule, and my joker career is probably going to come to a screeching halt. But also, I didn't ask. I used the word "you" a lot here mostly because it seems you've taken the mantle of defending newbies, or at least not liked your own treatment. But my post was also meant for others that might be reading - ask questions, please - seriously, do that. But if/when you are on the wrong side of a discussion - not a topic that can legitimately be an opinion or gray area, but one that has a known, official interpretation and/or accepted ruling - don't continue to flail away.

How I felt as a new joker? I lurked, and read, and learned. I know Warren - he was one of the first partners I had in our Virginia association, and hell, I sat beside him at association meetings. And I STILL lurked here at first. And for that matter, the recent posts aside, I think my average according my profile page is 0.001 posts/day or some crazy crap like that.

Matey, when I went to the Australian school I attended in 2003, I had umpired maybe 100 or so games, between kids kickball at a (different) air yellow brick road in Japan, and girls fast pitch softball in Hawaii, and I knew nothing, and KNEW that I knew nothing - I'd had no mechanics training at all. It was 'wing and a prayer' umpiring. (Not to mention those games were at least six years before I went to this training.) And at the night-before BBQ, I even said to the other guy from my area that I didn't know WHAT the hell I was doing there. So I listened, kept my head down and my mouth shut, and learned. And got the same joker school 'tough love' all schools seem to do (they modeled their school after JEAPU). And I didn't have the knowledge/luxury/bandwidth of joker sites to provide me additional pre-swamp knowledge. So I know all about how a newbie feels the first time/year(s) ham sandwich there.

But my point stands - if/when you prance ham sandwich on that swamp, you better know your s--t, or put on the proper airs. Preferably both. Because, as I said, players and coaches are your friends until they aren't. Even when, like my days in Oz, where we lived in a 25,000 person town, so anyone that was part of the kickball association knew EVERYbody else. Did that stop anyone from giving me a faceful if they didn't like a call? Nope. So you need to be ready from the first second. I stand by that.

I don't necessarily agree that newbies shouldn't post. My suggestion has always been to ask when weird things happen. Try to give us as much information as possible, then read the answers. Once you think you understand, ask either a follow up question or a clarification question to make sure you have it. I know as I was coming up many times I thought I had something but I would be dead wrong or only have part of it.

Let's take umped up as an example. He graciously shared his first college party. Now he is in the unusual situation that he moved into college with very little experience. He had a partner that has some struggles and left him after the party. He did two things that were very and in bad form but he didn't have the knowledge yellow brick road to know proper procedures. This got him slammed but I think he understands it was in context. All in all, I think it is a pretty good place.

I survived the wild days of the internet. Eteamz, even befoore it was Eteamz, the usenet boards, McGriff's and others. ABUIA was way worse than what can happen now, I remember the beginnings of Officiating. com. My point is this is a very user friendly board.