New West Vest

Triguy29
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4269 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It's probably you, but don't take it personally. Mine fits like a glove, but that's me, plus mine's broken in, and I'm probably not built like you.

But trust me on this, the padding is not too thick for me. Take bullet to the chest, and thank Cowboy Joe for getting that right.

Understand that a new c/p is stiff and flat, but will conform to ones "natural curves", to some extent, over time.

There is no one chest protector that's best for everyone. The trick is to find a good quality one, that fits.

The best fit is undoubtedly the Douglas (once it's broken in). The Platinum fit okay, but the Gold fits better. I suppose I switched to the Gold due to my disappointment in the Platinum. I stumbled onto the Douglas, which I wear when I don't need the superior protection the Gold provides.

The input about breaking it in is good. All hard shells are like that. They need a break-in period.

In regards to the CP not allowing you to look down....I have no neck so I am dealing with this as well, but the gold allows me more movement than my Champro hardshell. I took off the throat guard from my mask since it covers me very well anyway. Any of you fellas have the looking down issue and your mask?

I'm thinking about ordering a WV platinum but I'm a bit scared. I have ordered a lot o stuff this years. When my Plate shoes came in she was pissed. I was umpire a game an wasn't able to intercept the delivery. I have been married for 13 years on the 20th of this month and I know she won't kill me but she is likely to kick my ace!!!

Well do NOT take advice from me. Remember I'm the guy in a similar situation quipped to my wife,"I spend less on gear in a year than you do on your hair." -- Epic Fail.

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a new CP and tried on the WV Platinum on Wed. I have to say I was disappointed at how it fit. The padding in the center seems way too thick. When i got it sized up to cover my collar bone i pulled on a mask and couldn't tilt my head down due to the padding. Is this just me or a common issue? Is the WV Gold the same way?

I bought a Platinum last year and experienced the same thing. I also have a hard time reaching up to put my mask on as my arms are all bound up. I have decided to keep it until I can get somewhere to try others on, but the Platinum is not my long term solution.

I just bought a Gold after three years with the Platinum which is now my backup. I've never had a problem with a throat guard getting caught in it and I would never remove a vital piece of equipment. I've been hit there once and will never take it off. Besides you're supposed to track a ball with your eyes not move your head up and down so there shouldn't be any worries about a throat protector getting jammed. If a ball is loose or hit you're supposed to remove your mask anyway.

My new WIlson Gold West Vest came in today. Holy comfort Batman. This Gold CP is amazing. I must say, I look good in it too, with the black short sleeve and my black Wilson Dyna Lite mask. From now on I will listen closely to the experience on this board. :notworthy: What do you think of the Team Wendy's tan pads?

I'm with you, brother! I was ready for the Gold's comfort level and its beefy protection, but when I took it out of the Ump-Attire box and peeled off its wrapper, it looked so beautiful, all black and shiny. Then I put it on, and I looked so sweet wearing it that I couldn't help but wear it outside my uniform shirt for the first half a dozen games.

• Like 2

I'm with you, brother! I was ready for the Gold's comfort level and its beefy protection, but when I took it out of the Ump-Attire box and peeled off its wrapper, it looked so beautiful, all black and shiny. Then I put it on, and I looked so sweet wearing it that I couldn't help but wear it outside my uniform shirt for the first half a dozen games.

I really hope your kidding!!! :lol:

What is the differance in the WIlson Gold West Vest and the Platnum Wedt Vest?

I had a Platinum and I could never get it to fit so I was comfortable. I rarely wore it and mostly wore a Douglas. I eventually sold the Platinum and bought a Gold on the advice of Kevin Finnerty. I do not believe that there is much diffence in the size of the shell but the padding is thicker on the Gold and this makes it fit differently for me. Plus that useless pad is not on the Gold. Jim Kirk measured each of the Wilson models and posted the information on his blog.

• 5 months later...