Umpire Draws a line on the circle

boyinr
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5097 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was at todays KC vs Boston game in some really good seats. Between the Anthem and Jon Lester completing his warm-up pitches the PU went to the edge of the dirt circle around home plate and intentionally scuffed in a mark on each side. It was too far up the base line to be an simple extention of the base line. Sort of half way between the third baseline and the extended first baseline. He did the same on the other side.

I have been trying to figure out the purpose of this action. The umpire was Esterbrooks (#83). Any ideas what the purpose of this was?

Edited by boyinr
Clarity

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at todays KC vs Boston game in some really good seats. Between the Anthem and Jon Lester completing his warm-up pitches the PU went to the edge of the dirt circle around home plate and intentionally scuffed in a mark on each side. It was too far up the base line to be an extention of the base line. Sort of half way between the baseline and the extended baseline. I have been trying to figure out the purpose of this action. The umpire was Esterbrooks (#82). Any ideas what the purpose of this was?

You lost me with this.... how can a point on a line be "halfway between the baseline and the extended baseline" ??

Was the point in foul territory, or what? :)

I editted my OP.

Still can't figure out where he drew the line.

BTW, there may not be a rule that actually says "tie goes to the runner" but it computes that was as the throw has to beat the runner to get the out. Both 6.05(j) and the revised-this-year 7.08(e) agree on that.

Well, I dont' think it's THAT hard to understand ....but it's kind of wierd,...is it the light blue marks on the attached pic?

Positioning points, maybe?

Or maybe what he made was actually a cross (as in the Cruxifiction cross). If it was actually Rob Drake that did this, then I'd almost bet it was a cross.

I had a college catcher that made one right in front of home plate before we went live.

Prior to that, I had a high school F3 that wrote "JMJ" on the dirt near the 1B line at the start of a state playoff game. :)

my guess would be positioning as well, 1st and 3rd base extended ... but who knows, you should have yelled and asked him, lol

I was close enough. He and Jon Lester were not seeing eye to eye early in the game. He did not seem to be in a chatting up type of mood.

my guess would be positioning as well, 1st and 3rd base extended ... but who knows, you should have yelled and asked him, lol

Seems strange to me to put positioning lines in the dirt because if I need to get to that spot, I'm not looking down to find my line, I'm watching the play. My luck, the minute I look down to find my line (after a bunch of batters, the catcher, and I walked thru it), some big-time OBS or INT will happen and I'll miss it. But at least I'll be positioned ok! :stir