Conference ?

carolinablue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5089 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Wild pitch in the dirt, catcher can not block it and it hits PU hard. PU is obviously rattled, so F2 immediately picks up the ball and calls time and begins to trot out to the mound as a show of professional courtesy. OC, who has exausted all his visits for the game, sees this and jogs out to meet them at the mound. Question : Do you charge the coach with a visit and make him change his pitcher ?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the catcher alone goes thats one of the unwritten rules, just as if your catcher gets dinged you take your time and walk a ball to the pitcher, exchange a few kind words, then make sure you have a spotles plate befor talking to your catcher to see if he's okay. But when a coach crosses it becomes a visit.

Along the lines of the same subject:

I had an assistant coach warm up the F1 while F2 put his gear on between innings.

Once F2 came up to finish the warm up the Assistant coach walked up to the mound to tell F1 something.

Is this a Chargeable conference?

The only time you would really ever want to charge the coach with the conference is when there is a break in play. With the umpire getting hit, this causes a break in play, and therefore if the coach goes out to the mound he's going out with the break in play. Between innings there is no break in play being that play for that inning has yet to start. I just am wondering why the offensive coach is wanting to talk to the pitcher. :clap:

No, not as long as he doesn't hold up the pitcher from warming up or delay the start of the inning.

So if the between innings talk is not substantial enough to hold up or interrupt anything no visit? I've never heard that one, good to know.

This is one of the rules myths that has actually infiltrated umpiring a bit more than others. Let it go unless it is holding up the game.

Thanks guys.

It happened a couple of games ago and the OC wanted me to charge the other team with a conference.

I said no and let it go.

I guess I did the right thing for once! :clap:

In the OP it was a wild pitch and the catcher called time. Would it make any difference if it was a foul ball that got the ump and it was a dead ball situation ?

No

Anytime a coach from the bench visits the mound, provided it is not between innings (and doesn't delay the start of the new inning) or to check on a potential injury (in which case an umpire MUST accompany the coach to the mound), they are charged with a trip.

The catcher going to the mound was a courtesy for the umpire wearing a pitch. Dunno about you guys, but my strike zone tends to "waver" for a few pitches after I get hit by a ball in the dirt that - of course - misses padding and the catcher doesn't talk to his pitcher.

As a reciprocal, Warren's post is perfect. Personally, I put a hand on F2's back and lean around to ask if he's ok, and if there is even a slight hesitation with his response, I employ exactly what Warren describes in his previous post.

Thanks guys.

It happened a couple of games ago and the OC wanted me to charge the other team with a conference.

I said no and let it go.

I guess I did the right thing for once! B)

Not to the other 50% who probably had it enforced on them. Or, they perceived their situation was the same as this one.

I had a partner who actually did tell a coach it was a visit when he went to his pitcher between innings this year. Good thing was the coach didn't need to come back out in that inning to talk to his pitcher.

And, there is no correcting this umpire. He once called a kid out for not sliding on a force play at HP. No contact made and the ball got to F2, who wasn't even touching HP, about 1 second after the runner touched HP. He also made up a "no clapping" rule. He said the offense couldn't clap while F1 was pitching. They weren't doing it as a distraction, which I would have a hard time enforcing if they did. I'm glad I wasn't on the field when these happened. I was only an observer.

Interesting rules pop up when he is on the field.

Edited by Mr Umpire

Anytime a coach from the bench visits the mound, provided it is not between innings (and doesn't delay the start of the new inning) or to check on a potential injury (in which case an umpire MUST accompany the coach to the mound), they are charged with a trip.

Depends on the rules code. FED allows a non-charged visit if the offense has called time out for a conference, or if there's an injury to an offensive player, ...

Depends on the rules code. FED allows a non-charged visit if the offense has called time out for a conference, or if there's an injury to an offensive player, ...

Sorry, I forgot about you weirdos and FED B)