Worst MLB blown call?

prumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5135 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Now they are not teaching the 1BLX, 3BLX or even PoP. They are teaching to take a step or two back (okay this might be like PoP) and follow the catcher to lead you to the play and that you should line up with the catchers left hip pocket. As he swings to his left you move to your right. This will give you the best view and you could end up anywhere from PoP to up the first base line or even fair.

So in the picture below you can see Kulpa is actually in excellent position, while yes it does look a bit unothodox he's there and you can see has a great view.

Warren,

As I mentioned previously, this is my first season after being out of umpiring for a few years. Last time I umpired they taught the 1BLX and 3BLX positions, w/ a few variations such as runner coming home on passed ball and F1 covering. I'm doing all levels of PONY baseball & softball right now and both the refresher and the manual I got this year still both teach this.

So, I was thrown off a bit when I read Brian's and your comments above, as I felt, based on what I've been taught that I would be in 1BLX, or possibly w/ the throw coming in slightly off-line, maybe 3BLX.

Then, I re-looked Brian's comment:

Had he taken it by anchoring himself at 3BLX, he may well (who the hell knows?) "seen" a tag when there was none.

I'd say he got it right because he was in the right position.

And I have to agree. I also feel that by being in 1BLX, I very well could have my view of the plate blocked by the runner.

Besides the position he's in when he makes the call, in my mind the only position that could possibly offer a similar view is 180 degrees from where he is (over along the 3rd base line), but I wouldn't like having to turn around as the throw and runner came in.

So, my questions are for you or anyone who can answer: How long has this positioning technique been taught and are there some resources out there to help me learn/understand/employ it?

Many thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still teach 1st and 3rd baseline extended but then to adjust according to the plate. I taught a clinic this Spring and part of my section was taking plays at the plate. My opening statement to each group was that there is no hard and fast rules on where to be. The only rule is to get where there isn't a runner or fielder between you and the tag. I teach to start point of plate then adjust o the play. 90% of the plays will be 3ble and some from 1ble. However, from there you have to get where you need to be, which up 1bl or even in the infield.

The most important thing is to know and understand why you are going to a spot so when the play blows up you can adjust and you will know where to adjust to.

This is one of the things I definitely need to work on as PU. The problem is that it's virtually impossible to practice. I can call balls/strikes by watching games, I can practice my stance and strike three calls, I can even practice all the mechanics; however, I can't practice watching a play develop.

My problem is that I almost always go 1BLX. I know it's wrong, and I know it after the play ends. But I started that when I started umpiring, and it's a bad habit to break. I'm trying to remind myself to take the point and move with the play, but I'm always confused on where to go to see the play the best. Watching the MLB guys, and even more-experienced guys in my association, it seems so easy.

This is one of the things I definitely need to work on as PU. The problem is that it's virtually impossible to practice. I can call balls/strikes by watching games, I can practice my stance and strike three calls, I can even practice all the mechanics; however, I can't practice watching a play develop.

My problem is that I almost always go 1BLX. I know it's wrong, and I know it after the play ends. But I started that when I started umpiring, and it's a bad habit to break. I'm trying to remind myself to take the point and move with the play, but I'm always confused on where to go to see the play the best. Watching the MLB guys, and even more-experienced guys in my association, it seems so easy.

You can't (or I couldn't) learn it all at once. Instead of "almost always" going 1BLE, go to 3BLE. You'll more often be right than at 1BLE. Once you've engrained this habit, then begin to move.

Also, I think too many people try to read the throw and move. Instead, let the catcher read the throw, and you read the catcher (and maybe the runner).

You can't (or I couldn't) learn it all at once. Instead of "almost always" going 1BLE, go to 3BLE. You'll more often be right than at 1BLE. Once you've engrained this habit, then begin to move.

Also, I think too many people try to read the throw and move. Instead, let the catcher read the throw, and you read the catcher (and maybe the runner).

Initially read the quality of the throw but then watch the catcher and runner and see if you believe it is going to be a slide right at the catcher, 1ble. If you think it's going to be a swipe or a wide slide then go 3ble. That's the basis, then adjust, jab step, whatever it takes to see the tag.