Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6027 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm about to by two new shirts. I know I want black, but for the second, should I get white or cream? What, in your experience, is the more commonly used color? I found black, white, and cream at theofficialschoice.com for $25.10, anyone know of anywhere having a sale, or any lower prices? Thanks in advance:cheers:

  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Cream

For the 98763256573285th time, do not order from the Official's Choice

Damn...what's up with them? I ordered a navy and polo blue from them in September, and they came in in about three days. Do they have a bad rep? I haven't been around long, I haven't heard much.

Posted

www.purchaseofficials.com

It's a better shirt that OC's shirt. They have Smitty shirts and pants. It's $20 a shirt when you buy two or more. It's a good deal if you're looking to save.

And yes, cream is a more popular color around these parts. Probably the same where you live too. I don't have a white yet.

Or you could wait for Jim to come out with his Ultimate Umpire shirt in cream...

Posted

I ordered a navy and polo blue from them.

The trouble is that those shirt don't match the colors of the other manufacturers. The polo is a gray/blue, and the navy is much darker than the other. Buy themselves they're fine. But just understand that they don't match anything but other OC shirts. Their cream is off too. Hard to mess up white, though.

And they're sized funny.

Posted

I really don't care for cream but it is popular around here in the summer. I wish more guys would buy gray, because it looks much better and is just as cool when its hot out. Whatever you do, don't buy the Official's Choice cream. I have seen it in person and it's hideous. Their gray is not right either - the trim on the collar and sleeves looks nothing like any other gray shirt.

Posted

ump24....

I tried on a friends Honigs shirt from previous years to try to get my sizing correct before I placed my order. Did you find the sizing to be different from lasts years to this year? When I received mine they seemed just a little bit bigger. Honigs however is always a good choice.

Posted

I have a couple of Majestic sets of polo and black, and they are the best shirts I own. The base shirts have no pocket, which is kinda cool. Go that route, if you have a choice. Honig's would be second.

Posted

First I would check with your association and/or the guys you'll be working with. Your association may require a certain color. Your fellow umpires may also have some suggestions on color and supplier and you want to match. Having said that, I like Honig's. $27 isn't bad but they kill you on shipping. (about 10 bucks) The color looks great, turn around time is super, and customer service is outstanding

Posted

For the money, I would go with the Smitty shirts from Purchase Officials. For the price they are a great deal. They also have an alter ego on ebay that sells the shirts for $19.00 each as well and you only pay shipping on the first one. Turnaround time was great for me as well.

If you work in a cold climate, the Gerry Davis signature series are also at a good price point and have a little heavier fabric that I think looks great. They are a little warm here in Texas in the heat of the summer, but for games right now I love wearing them.

I would go Cream over White. No one down here wears white and the cream is a popular day game option, but I prefer to wear Pro-Blue and Black whenever possible.

Posted

I have a couple of Majestic sets of polo and black, and they are the best shirts I own. The base shirts have no pocket, which is kinda cool. Go that route, if you have a choice. Honig's would be second.

Where did you get the Majestic shirts without the pocket? I bet we will be seeing less and less of the Majestics as time goes by....since they have gone with the new trim look and CoolBase fabric the pros are wearing now.

It is a shame that they have stopped making there stuff readily available to us gear junkies....because if they sold it, we would buy it.

Posted

I acquired a Majestic jacket from a MLB umpire on ebay for $45. I had to unload it because it was too damned big for the bases and I don't wear a jacket behind the plate. Since I unloaded it, I have never seen another one anywhere.

Posted

Where did you get the Majestic shirts without the pocket?

Just some guy selling a big lot of umpire stuff on eBay. I've got three big boxes of stuff like this so far this year. Plus, guys just fill the box with all kinds of more stuff when I tell them I'm supplying my local LL Junior umpires with gear.

Some guys buy a ton of stuff, and just never use it. Others just retire. They sell their stuff as lots on eBay (which is stupid), just to get rid of it all at once. So I'll get a big box of gear, donate most of it, keep some, and resell the rest. In the end, there's no money out of my pocket, as I usually break even on the resold stuff, my kids are the best geared around, and I end up with some choice stuff for free. (oh, and I get a tax write off, too). The surrounding leagues are now getting our hand-me-downs. Everybody wins.

Posted (edited)

Where did you get the Majestic shirts without the pocket? I bet we will be seeing less and less of the Majestics as time goes by....since they have gone with the new trim look and CoolBase fabric the pros are wearing now.

It is a shame that they have stopped making there stuff readily available to us gear junkies....because if they sold it, we would buy it.

Majestic jerseys without the pocket are not a new item.

I have an MLB jersey that I received from a local MLB umpire - I got it from him two years' ago, and he had worn it for about 5 or 6 seasons, if memory serves me correct.

Honestly, though, I'm getting fed up with how often changes are made with uniform requirements - most especially with shirts.

I'm sitting here in my office looking at 4 or 5 shirts that will rarely get used after just a year or two of use, thanks to the annual changes that get made.... GRRRRR.... at $40 each (with the appropriate logos embroidered on them) it adds up pretty quickly.

The 'big boys' in MLB change something - sometimes minor - and the guys in charge decide we need to look like that, too. What they're forgetting is that the 'big boys' don't buy their own stuff, and even if they did, they're not making $50-$80 per game to look 'new', the way we are.

Are you guys using association patches on your shirts, or do you wear them plain?

BTW: As to the OP question, "White or cream" - my answer is "NEITHER". :yippie:

Edited by BrianC14
Posted

What's the general opinion on the DALCO Shirts??? :yippie:

They are the least favorite shirts that I have. They are almost shinny, very thin, and I have a hard time keeping them tucked in.

The only plus that I see from the Dalco shirts is if you are working in extremely hot weather in the summer. The thinness might keep you cooler.

Posted

As for patches, Texas does not require them for High School ball. We are supposed to wear an American flag on our left sleeve 2" below the shoulder seam. We do not wear numbers either.

I prefer this way to the numbers and association patch that I had to wear in Louisiana. With only the flag, the shirt is more versatile and can be worn on more levels of ball.

Posted

As for patches, Texas does not require them for High School ball. We are supposed to wear an American flag on our left sleeve 2" below the shoulder seam. We do not wear numbers either.

I prefer this way to the numbers and association patch that I had to wear in Louisiana. With only the flag, the shirt is more versatile and can be worn on more levels of ball.

So just a plain front - - I'd prefer that over needing to have two or three sets of shirts, that's for sure! :yippie:

Posted

So just a plain front - - I'd prefer that over needing to have two or three sets of shirts, that's for sure! :yippie:

Yep all my my shirts are plain except for the flag patch on the left sleeve.


×
×
  • Create New...