Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6225 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I wrote in my blog about my rough weekend of games. Well I keep reflecting back on the one call which stands out as the worse call of my career (the call being right or wrong is indifferent here). I called a ball I had no responsibility for making it worse it was a double call ...

Situation:

NABA game, R2, 2 outs I'm in the C position. Ball hit directly to the third baseman, who scoops the ball. I make the rookie mistake of blurting out, "That's a catch!" :givebeer: I knew the second I opened my mouth I was in the wrong just for taking the ball. Then I look over and see my partner is signaling no catch and had in on the hop.

I have zero ball responsibility in this situation, yet still opened my mouth. We now have a double call and somebody is going to be ticked off. By my errantly calling catch with 2 outs the defense stopped playing and didn't make an attempt on what would/should have been an easy play at first.

My partner signals me over, oh-boy. He asks whose ball responsibility that was and I say I effed up it was his all the way.

Damn I was/am mad at myself. :smachhead: No excuses bad call all the way around. It's one thing to kick a call we've all done it and we, no matter how hard we try, will do it again. But to have a double call is much worse. When I kick one it's only me who looks bad, when you have a double call you make your partner look bad too, which is a much worse feeling.

When I kick a call I'm generally over it within the inning, This stuck with me the whole game.

  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

The way I understood you in your blog your partner had given you responsibility for the catch, and he took the tags.

Don't worry about it. Last night I kicked a call that would have sent a team into extra innings. Banger at first in the bottom of the sixth (game was tied with one out). Ball beat the runner by about 4 inches. I saw it, called safe, and ran to my next position thinking "Boy you screwed that up. Hopefully it works itself out." Nope. Home team loaded the bases full getting only one more out. Then the pitcher hit a batter to walk in the winning run, which never should have been on base in the first place. I screwed up and it cost a team the game. I'll admit that I usually don't lose sleep over games, but that one killed me. It was in the final game of the district championship.

Posted

The way I understood you in your blog your partner had given you responsibility for the catch, and he took the tags.

This was a different play in my Game Sunday. Saturday didn't really bother me too much.

Posted

When I kick a call I'm generally over it within the inning, This stuck with me the whole game.

Warren I beleive we all have our own horror stories. I have been there

As you are well aware do not combat the situation by having it stick with you all game long. It's no different then calling a 2-2 pitch a ball in which afterwards you said to yourself " I called it to quickly it was a strike" and then the next pitch is "jacked out of the park"

It happens we are human. Players also make mistakes as do coaches. The unfortunate part is that umpires mistakes are magnified. Just look at ESPN when an umpire kicks a call. After ESPN gets done one would think this umpire committed armagedon.

The important part is:

1. You KNEW whose call it was

2. Knew you kicked it

3. Did not throw your partner under the bus for YOUR error

4. most likely took some heat from the coach

5. Time to move on

Pete Booth

Posted

We all get better, as we work games. Mistakes will be made, but we must press on. My recommendation is, if at all possible, GET IT RIGHT. Ie See a balk, call it, ie if you have two different calls, get together and GET IT RIGHT. Now, on a blistering day, I had the old BaaStrike...and boy that chapped me. Yes a 2-1 count, but that really allowed me to focus the rest of the game.....

Posted

We all get better, as we work games. Mistakes will be made, but we must press on. My recommendation is, if at all possible, GET IT RIGHT. Ie See a balk, call it, ie if you have two different calls, get together and GET IT RIGHT. Now, on a blistering day, I had the old BaaStrike...and boy that chapped me. Yes a 2-1 count, but that really allowed me to focus the rest of the game.....

Or the infamous called strike three.... the big chainsaw... :eek: ...

and then realizing the count was 2-1.... :wow:

Now, I've never done that (as far as you know) but I'm sure it's pretty maddening.

Posted

I wrote in my blog about my rough weekend of games. Well I keep reflecting back on the one call which stands out as the worse call of my career (the call being right or wrong is indifferent here). I called a ball I had no responsibility for making it worse it was a double call ...

I used to think I was weird for reflecting back on a call I might have kicked. Players have no idea how we beat ourselves up for potential bad calls. Journal it and take it to the bank because you will never screw that up again. :wow:

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Had one this weekend...16-18 Tourney, Bases load 1 out, tie game, batter chops ball to F5 on a big hop that takes forever to get to him, he throws to 2nd and barely gets the force, F4 relays to F3 and I made the mistake of thinking "there is no way we have double play" - ball beats runner by half step and I call him safe. I knew I blew it - DC calls time and asks me " So he pulled his foot right?" I said no he beat the throw. Coach rolls his eyes and leaves. I was upset with myself for not letting the play happen.

Posted

I was calling a 6A Freshmen game by myself, because my pertner cancelled at the last minute. I am behind the plate. Top of the 1st, no outs, runner on 3rd. 01 count.Catcher gets crossed up. He called a curveball away, gets a fastball down the pipe. Hits me in the top of the CP, knocking the wind out of me. I yell "time" as the ball is rolling down the 1st base line and the runner is coming home from 3rd. Whoops.

The OC coach checks if I am ok and then asks "Does my runner have to go back to 3rd?" I said "Yea he does. I blew that one." He just smiled and said ok.

Next pitch the kid hits it in the gap. Insult to injury.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

umpiring 18+ years, somewhere around 3500 - 4000 games under my belt and I have never blown a call or missed a strike. oh ya and the fans are there to see me umpire not to see their kids play.... of course im kidding. sounds like to me you have been working long enough to miss a call because if you umpire for any amount of time you will miss a few but it also sounds like you will strap it on again. thats an umpire. most guys that quit do it during or after the first year, usualy after a bad call and what happens next.

Posted

Or the infamous called strike three.... the big chainsaw... ;) ...

and then realizing the count was 2-1.... :HD:

Now, I've never done that (as far as you know) but I'm sure it's pretty maddening.

I managed to ring batter out on strike 1...

Posted (edited)

I managed to ring batter out on strike 1...

Now that is funny...:agasp_:

Yea... Adult ball, batter hits the ball, play at third. I get back behind the plate, I peek my indicator - which I forgot to reset. So, when, count 1-2... next pitch splits the plate STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! with enthusiast mechanics. The batter turns around, I see a new face there and notice my OOPS. My partner is leaning on his knees, laughing his ass off.

I just say: "In Finland you get only one chance", shrug and tell them new count (0-1).

But that's not my most embarasing call...

MS

Edited by Finnblue
Posted

Yea... Adult ball, batter hits the ball, play at third. I get back behind the plate, I peek my indicator - which I forgot to reset. So, when, count 1-2... next pitch splits the plate STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! with enthusiast mechanics. The batter turns around, I see a new face there and notice my OOPS. My partner is leaning on his knees, laughing his ass off.

I just say: "In Finland you get only one chance", shrug and tell them new count (0-1).

But that's not my most embarasing call...

MS

I happens.....:agasp_:

Posted

I am glad to see that you guys with lots of experience beat yourselves up too. Being new (and a perfectionist) I tend to be hard on myself. I hardly ever leave the diamond in a good mood. Love the game!!!! Always trying to improve. I have learned that you can't trust a ball player... they will try and sell every play even the ugly ones.

Posted

I am glad to see that you guys with lots of experience beat yourselves up too. Being new (and a perfectionist) I tend to be hard on myself. I hardly ever leave the diamond in a good mood. Love the game!!!! Always trying to improve. I have learned that you can't trust a ball player... they will try and sell every play even the ugly ones.

1 lesson down...................many to go.

Posted

I am glad to see that you guys with lots of experience beat yourselves up too. Being new (and a perfectionist) I tend to be hard on myself. I hardly ever leave the diamond in a good mood. Love the game!!!! Always trying to improve. I have learned that you can't trust a ball player... they will try and sell every play even the ugly ones.

It's good to have a good self-eval but don't beat yourself up needlessly. If you are new you will improve as you go but only so fast. Remember to have fun while you are working and try to pick one or two things to work on each game. It may take a few games to be comfortable with something new. Get comfortable before moving on to the next thing.

Posted

I don't beat my self up...I actually get a laugh....Playing all the way thru college, I enjoy seeing and hearing what the kids and coaches will try and pull on us. They probably see me laughing under my mask and think..what the hell could he possible find amusing about this.....:agasp_:


×
×
  • Create New...