NABA rules

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4358 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yesterday I had an NABA DH.

One team was extreme on the whining the other was moderate.

Oddly enough the extreme team did the most of their whining while winning.

Middle innings we're just waiting to get to the 10RR point. The catcher of the extreme team whines that they have a player behind the back stop. I just replied. "Okay"

Then he starts up, ...he cant be there... its against the rules.. yadda yadda yadda.

I told the catcher (who I already wasn't liking too much) that I didn't care where he was.

I wasn't about to enforce a rule I didn't know of, nor was I going to let this catcher have his way. As the catcher continues to complain my partner politely hollers over, "Son could you out from back there please?" and he did.

Well what happened next? The next half inning the retarded catcher was doing exactly what he was complaining about. The 1st base coach called time and asked to have him move from behind the backstop. In perfect adult league tit-for-tat fashion.

I just turned around and said, "Give me a break man." and he moved away. I wrote about the lack of whining in adult league, well this game had me longing to be in the Pinto Tournament we had going on elsewhere.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is just the heat here but most Sundays were full of whining. Very few had 2 good games. At best, it was 1 good one and the other was bad.

I am so glad we don't do that anymore. Especially now, when I hear how bad things are. If the umpire ejects a player, he is the one suspended until further notice, not the player. :wow: That is horrible at best.

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote about the lack of whining in adult league, well this game had me longing to be in the Pinto Tournament we had going on elsewhere.
It was the constant whining in adult ball that prompted me to trade in my Saturdays and Sundays of those leagues for Pinto League and Pinto Tournaments. No gear, no sweat, no soreness, and a boatload of cash at the end of the day.:P

• 1 year later...

I do NABA games here in East Tennessee and have had absolutely zero problems in the past 2 years. You do hear the occasional whining, but nothing serious and no where near as much whining as you hear in Jr. College ball here.

Out of curiosity, what are your game fees in other parts of the country?

Maybe it is just the heat here but most Sundays were full of whining. Very few had 2 good games. At best, it was 1 good one and the other was bad.

I am so glad we don't do that anymore. Especially now, when I hear how bad things are. If the umpire ejects a player, he is the one suspended until further notice, not the player. :D That is horrible at best.

Could you elaborate? How the devil does an umpire get time off for tossing a player or coach? As mentioned in the past I work a lot of adult ball including hosting an eastern regional. The four officers of the league are umpires, myself, my assignor and two top officials, both with minor league experience. We handle the disputes, protests and get the ejection reports.

Could you elaborate? How the devil does an umpire get time off for tossing a player or coach? As mentioned in the past I work a lot of adult ball including hosting an eastern regional. The four officers of the league are umpires, myself, my assignor and two top officials, both with minor league experience. We handle the disputes, protests and get the ejection reports.

I don't have any stead fast examples. I have only heard it as a rumor. But, the rumor is "If the umpire ejects a player, the umpire gets pulled off of games until further notice." The player may too but it is more directed toward the umpires b/c they don't want players to turn away from the league. So, the umpires are held accountable on it. It is not done by an association unless that has changed. The league handles it and do not support the umpires. This is MABL/MSBL. Most umpires say they won't do their games b/c of this.

Now, this is only a rumor since my association no longer does these games. And, we were the main supplier for umpires. It has become a self-serving league and just a place to come together and take their weekly frustrations out on somebody(umpires).

• 4 weeks later...

I do NABA games here in East Tennessee and have had absolutely zero problems in the past 2 years. You do hear the occasional whining, but nothing serious and no where near as much whining as you hear in Jr. College ball here.

There is no "middle ground" when it comes to NABA games.

They are either horrible or a pleasure to do.

Like most things it depends upon who is in charge and how the league operates.

As far as game Fees.

7 innings - $70.00 2.5 hr time limit

9 innings - $80.00 3 hr time limit

Mercy rule in effect - 7 inning games HT ahead by 10 after 4.5 or VT ahead after 5 full

9 inning games same as above except the "kick in" inning is the 7th unless of coarse the time limit is reached.

Pete Booth

The catcher of the extreme team whines that they have a player behind the back stop. I just replied. "Okay"

Then he starts up, ...he cant be there... its against the rules.. yadda yadda yadda.

I told the catcher (who I already wasn't liking too much) that I didn't care where he was.

I wasn't about to enforce a rule I didn't know of,

Warren it's a nit-pick but non-the-less a standard rule

OBR 3.17

Players and substitutes of both teams shall confine themselves to their team’s

benches unless actually participating in the play or preparing to enter the game, or coaching at first or third base.

FWIW: In adult Men's league games it's wise to adhere to all rules even the nit'pick'n ones just in case.

Pete Booth

In Portland OR. NABA pays $64 for 9, 55.50 for 7, no time limits, 10 run rule in effect.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

NABA is a mess down here where I live. They underpay their umpires compared to the other Adult leagues which give $70 for 7 innings. Also they ask you to come and set up the field for them. :shakehead: My job is umpire not volunteer grounds keeper. But one constant across all men's leagues is whining. Will I do an odd DH here and there if I have a partner I like on a decent field yea, but as a whole I just let those assignors who don't care or support the umpires go to voice mail. I can make almost as much doing wood bat travel, and summer ball out here in cali and you don't have to deal with any of the crying.

• 8 months later...

I wrote about the lack of whining in adult league, well this game had me longing to be in the Pinto Tournament we had going on elsewhere.
It was the constant whining in adult ball that prompted me to trade in my Saturdays and Sundays of those leagues for Pinto League and Pinto Tournaments. No gear, no sweat, no soreness, and a boatload of cash at the end of the day. :home:

Okay, since posting this, I changed my tune and started working NABA exclusively on the weekends. In September 2009, I started back umpiring again and worked nearly every weekend until October of last year. I only stopped due to illness, but will soon return when everything is ship-shape. I will also start doing some HS ball again next season, good Lord willing.

• 1 month later...

In our league, if you get tossed you have to appear before the BOD, all umpires. If there is an umpire problem we address it but if the guy is just being a knucklehead we explain it isn't done that way in this league. We have a competitive league but not one that has a lot of arguing or ejections.