Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6431 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Without my contacts I'm blind. And honestly I always wore glasses until I started umpiring. Once I realized that wearing glasses just gave people amunition I went to get contacts.

Earlier this week while at work my left contact was bothering me and I was having trouble seeing my computer, but didn't think too much of it. That is until I got in my car to drive to my game. I then realized I was in really bad shape. Having only one contact in my vision was very blurry and I had little depth perception. I got to the field and was going to try and take it out and put it back in, just to find out I didn't have one in anymore.

I told my partner my situation and he got a real laugh. I decided I would still do the plate. I had real trouble tracking the pitch into the glove. Luckily I had no close fair/foul or catch/no catch situations. These were pretty good middle schoolers and I was waiting to be burned on a pitch, but it never really happened (that I heard of). I'm sure I missed a quite few pitches. On pitches with real motion I could only really call where the catcher caught the ball at rather where it came into the zone. I was intently listening to the coaches and fans to see if they were catching on, but I didn't hear anything.

After the game I asked my partner how I did and he replied, "You weren't half bad. Next time take the other one out and you might finally call a good game."

  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

That's great. ;) ;)

I've been wearing contacts for over 20 years, but now I only wear them when I'm on the field. One of my biggest fears is going blind mid-game because of losing my contact(s).

  • 8 months later...
Posted

I never wore glasses when I was umpiring, but as I got older I found that while my normal vision was excellent, I did have to wear reading glasses. The condition is known as presbyopia - the inability to focus close up. But being an umpire, I was not about to let that stop me, and managed to handle lineup cards and such for many years without the reading glasses, just holding the cards at arm's length (someone told me my eyes were fine, but my arms were just too short!).

Finally during a night game (that's the worst, when there is no daylight!), my time had come. I simply could not read those lineup cards without glasses. So I got a pair of those "old granny glasses," the half-frame jobs, and stuck them in a pocket. I managed fine at first, but as it got darker I knew I was in trouble. And sure enough about the 5th inning one team decided to make some changes. I pulled out the lineup cards, then the glasses, slipped them on my nose, and heard the cat calls from both dugouts and the stands. Luckily I seemed to maintain a good rapport with most of the coaches and players, so I endured the hoots and hollers with good nature, smiled at everyone, made my changes, then slipped the glasses back into my pocket and called for play to begin.

It became almost a tradition around the leagues for everyone to come up with some new "insult" every time I pulled out those glasses, and some were extremely creative and amusing, but it was all in fun. Besides, if you can't take some needling you definitely DO NOT belong on a baseball field!

Posted

I've worn glasses for the last 14 years. Which means that Ive worn them for most of my umpiring career. I started wearing contacts about 7 or 8 years ago and really want the lasik. Im going to have to save for it though and hope that my insurance can help too.

Posted

Lasik is great, no doubt about it. I had both eyes done (back in the day I was 20/15) some 8 or 9 years ago, back when it was :WTF expensive. (Thanks honey!)

One thing about it, though... it doesn't last forever. I wear reading glasses now, and have another pair for middle-distance viewing. :BD:


×
×
  • Create New...