DevildogUmp
Members-
Posts
158 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
4
Everything posted by DevildogUmp
-
@HumblePie Just to get this clear in my head, the pitcher stood stock still in in the windup position while the runner ran the 90 feet to 2nd base? TOP is the moment when a pitcher is committed to pitching, not making a move to the plate. From the windup position, the pitcher commits to the pitch a lot sooner than when he is in the stretch - I would say as soon as he rocks he has established TOP.
-
Since it is that time of year, please note that Velho provide the regular season penalty. During tournament the first time an illegal bat enters the batter's box and is discovered: 1. The batter is out (with the option as above to the defensive coach accepting the result of the play if the ball was put into play). 2. The batter is ejected. 3. The manager is ejected. This is why (at least in my district) we remove any illegal bats found during pre-game inspection to hopefully stop this from happening by accident.
-
Controversial Ending to CA State Championship
DevildogUmp replied to SeeingEyeDog's topic in High School
U1 is supposed to, but he never shows up at the plate in the video. At one point we have R1 on 3rd and BR between 2nd and 3rd while we wait for the call and still no umpire at the plate. When they conference, we finally see R1 running across the diamond from around 1st base. -
Controversial Ending to CA State Championship
DevildogUmp replied to SeeingEyeDog's topic in High School
Forget where the ball went, who is covering the plate for touches?!?!?!?!?!?! -
2-man, R1 stealing..."walk" me through it
DevildogUmp replied to SeeingEyeDog's topic in Umpire Mechanics
As the catcher pops and starts his throw, I am taking a large drop step with my right foot, as the ball clears the mound I am letting it turn me (chest to ball) into a cross-over step, and probably getting 2 steps closer to the bag before I am set for the tag attempt. -
BATTER FOLLOW THROUGH INTERFEREENCE
DevildogUmp replied to FLBaseballCoach's question in Ask the Umpire
In OBR, if it wasn't strike 3, the batter would continue with a dead ball strike. High School, the batter is out on interference. -
Lets start with this is Indiana High School specific and cannot be found in the FED rulebook. Anyway, Varsity game, starting pitcher goes into the bottom of the 6th and hits his max pitch count for the day (as set down by the state of Indiana). Quick caveat, Indiana has stated numerous times that umpires have ZERO responsibilities in regard to pitch counts and we are to direct coaches/ADs/etc to the state office if they have questions/protests/concerns regarding pitch counts. Manager comes out and replaces the pitcher, I make my changes, announce the change, and at 6 warm-up throws tell the catcher 2 more. Just your standard run of the mill pitching change. As I say 2 more, manager counters that because his starting pitcher pitched his maximum pitches, the relief pitcher gets as many warm-ups as he needs. I don't agree and we stop at 8. After the sixth, manager (very professionally) comes out and says we were both wrong and the relief pitcher gets 16 warm-up throws. I tell him the only time you get more than 8 is injury/ejection/inclement weather. Manager, still calmly and professionally, produces the pitch count rule that the state sends out to the schools and says it is right here, please check the rule book after the game. I tell him it is not in the rule book, because it is a state modification, but I would get with my association after the game. While enjoying my post-game Culvers, I text my association officers and training staff and no one has ever heard of this (remember, umpires are specifically directed not to have anything to do with pitch counts). So, I email the coach and ask him to email me the documentation that he received from the state. Low and behold, paragraph b of the state modification states that when a pitcher is pulled after hitting any pitch count level maximum (there are apparently 5 thresholds) his relief gets 16 warm-up throws. First time I have ever had this come up in a game. Waiting to hear back from the association on how we are going to handle this if it ever comes up again since we don't have dedicated pitch counters in regular season (each school is responsible for their own). Based on this rule, all a coach has to do is say "my pitcher was at a level maximum" and get 8 additional warm-ups for the reliever, all we really have to go on is his pitch count. Like the title says, learn something new everyday.
-
High School Varsity game the other day, I've got the bases. Head coach (prior college coach, first year HS) comes out to his pitcher and as he gets to the mound, says to me: "I'm bringing in a new pitcher". I said ok and just continued back to the dirt like I normally do during defensive conferences when I'm BU. About 30 seconds go by and he again says "I'm bringing in a relief pitcher from the bullpen", and I am now really confused and I am like you need to let my partner on the plate know and he says "Aren't you going to get him?" Now I'm even more confused and told him, I don't know who it is you want to bring in (there are 4 kids in the bullpen) and he seemed surprised when I told him he could call the relief pitcher out of the bullpen. 7 years of HS ball and I have never had a coach expect me to let his relief pitcher know to come in. Is this a college thing where an umpire goes and gets the relief pitcher from the bullpen? Matt
-
@BDad yes, if the runner abandons, you just call the out. If he crosses the plate without touching, that becomes an appeal.
-
BR out for passing as soon as it occurs (7.08h). If R1 never touches/passes the plate, and goes to the dugout, you can get abandonment on R1 (7.08a(2)), so 2 outs and score R3 and R2.
-
The video of an Alabama softball player being called out on appeal for missing the plate on a homerun hit my Facebook feed (again) and got me thinking, in FED, when has a runner "completed their base running responsibilities" in order for an umpire to acknowledge a dead ball appeal in a case like this? I have dealt with a dead ball appeal w/ runners moving once and it was R2/R3 with a ball thrown out of play while R3 was attempting to tag up on a line drive. Both R2 and R3 were awarded their bases and the defensive coach wanted to appeal before they awards were complete and we allowed the runners to complete the awards before addressing the appeal (R3 never tagged so he was out on the appeal). Has the runner completed their running responsibility as soon as he passes the plate or do we give the runner the opportunity to immediately return or do they have until they enter DBT to return and still be considered completing their running responsibility? YouTube video for reference:
-
Just for clarification, players still stayed in the Grove this past year. They removed all bunk beds from the dorms.
-
Players needed to start a game, players needed to continue a game...
DevildogUmp replied to SeeingEyeDog's topic in Rules
YMMV, but Little League rules specifically dictate that a game may not start with less then 8 player per team (1.01 NOTE). First rule in the book. Therefore, if there are less then 8 players on a team, it is not a game, and I am going home. -
OBR: 5.05(b)(3) "The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when: The catcher or any fielder interferes with him." Definitions of Terms: "Defensive interference is an act by a fielder that hinders or prevents a batter from hitting a pitch" Therefore, if by his actions, the catcher deprives the batter of the opportunity to hit a pitch, it is by rule and definition catcher's interference. FED case play gives a little more: 8.1.1 Situation F: "F2 may not catch the ball before it has passed home plate" Matt
-
@Senor Azul That doesn't answer the question. Does a pitcher get hit with a disengagement if the batter isn't even in the box when he steps off?
-
Random question: Pitch clock is running. Pitcher isn't paying attention to the plate and engages the rubber. He looks up and realizes that the batter hasn't even started stepping in yet and disengages. Does this count as a disengagement? Matt
-
Sitting here in my living room, I have come up with the following from this year's World Series: 1. The umpires this year, as a whole, are probably the best I've seen recently at Williamsport behind the plate. I didn't see every game, but I didn't see any of the opposite batter's box strikes that seem to creep in every year. 2. You can tell which umpires are pointers outside of Williamsport. Not sure why LL has a bee in their bonnet for the hammer, but all of the guys I saw did a great job make the transition with a few hesitations where it looked like they wanted to point and remembered to hammer. 3. Not sure what book they use for their rotations, but it doesn't match what is being taught at regions. U2 going out on all fly balls, full rotation with RISP. Little things that would make it easier if the whole organization was working from the same book. 4. Speaking of rotations, they looked good. If one was missed (and I didn't notice one) the crew covered. And now for my soapbox: I hope Little League prepped the 16 selected umpires that the crew chiefs were going to be working so many games. Everything I heard prior to the series was the crew chiefs were supposed to be mentors to help guide guys getting to that stage for the first time. In my opinion that does not translate to working a full rotation starting on day three and then having 2 crew chiefs on each of the US and International final games and then 2 of the chiefs coming right back on the final game. What I take that to mean is that LLI either has not given the Regional evaluators and staff to appropriate guidance on what they want from an assigned umpire or (and I really doubt this) the Regions know and basically don't follow that guidance. Of the 16 umpires assigned to the tournament, 1 only worked 4 games and 1 worked 5 games. Only 4 assigned umpires worked more games than the crew chiefs. They didn't even give the assigned umpires a full rotation of a game at each spot before dropping the crew chiefs into the games (btw, once in, the crew chiefs worked a normal rotation around the diamond). 3 assigned umpires didn't get a shot at each position. Out of the 16 assigned umpires, only 6 were considered good enough to do the last 3 games? To me that is a LL problem that they took out on the guys they assigned. The amount of time and effort that umpires put into being selected for the World Series - working local, district, section, state, and regional tournaments (and some of them have done another level World Series), over a good amount of years - plus paying your own travel for those tournaments (I know there is some assistance), taking time off of their regular job (both for the 2 weeks of the tournament, plus the week training session earlier this year), personally I feel like it is almost a slap in the face to sit someone on the bench after day 4. It sounds like going forward Little League is going to implement a camp program that anyone wanting to get Regional or World Series assignments will have to attend in order to be evaluated by LLI. That is great if that is where they want to go in the future, but it really looks like this year, LL punished those guys who got a ticket under the current system. Matt
-
There is not balk for taking signs off the rubber; however, you can grab a balk for simulating a pitching motion: 6.02(a)(7) The pitcher makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch while he is not touching the pitcher plate.
-
Based on the information provided, the catcher then throws the ball to the pitcher and the next batter is comes up to bat. Matt
-
The rule doesn't read the way you wrote it. The rule (4.10(e)) reads: "If after three (3) innings, two and one-half innings if the home team is ahead..." "If after four (4) innings, three and one half innings if the home team is ahead..." "If after five (5) innings, four and one-half innings if the home team is ahead..." The "if the home team is ahead" is the qualifier that ends the game prior to the natural end of the inning if the home team is ahead at the end of the top half or goes ahead in their half of the specified inning.
-
@SeeingEyeDogMy personal decision is I am not umpiring a game with a glaring safety violation (and the dangling throat protector is a safety rule). Same way I am not letting a team bat with a visibly damaged bat or batting helmets without two ear flaps (when required). And if a league doesn't want to back me on that decision, I'm fine with going to another league. I also am not a lawyer and I don't want to find out if I am liable in a courtroom for not enforcing rules. For all those that say, just let them know to get it fixed by tournament, you are the reason we have some many arguments during the tournament. Enforce the rules correctly during the season and coaches, players, and parents won't be shocked when they get to tournament and they have to actually follow the rules in the book.
-
NFHS Membership and digital books question
DevildogUmp replied to The Man in Blue's topic in Free For All
I think it depends on the state. Indiana provides access to the rulebook and casebook through the NFHS app. -
NFHS Catcher's Interference (OBS) - Bat may not hit ball?
DevildogUmp replied to Tog Gee's question in Ask the Umpire
@ToggyWhile it may work for your local league, I would be careful "coaching" a catcher about positioning while umpiring. If you tell a catcher where to position themselves and they get injured, you can bet the first thing said, is "The umpire told me to be there". If I have a catcher that is creeping into the danger zone in my local league (LL Minors and sometimes Majors) I just bring it to the coach's attention - "Bill, do you want your catcher set up there?" and let the coach correct it. -
Little league leaving early, what rule makes the ball dead?
DevildogUmp replied to Umpy's question in Ask the Umpire
What makes the ball dead is the umpire calls time prior to directing the runners to the required bases to enforce the penalty. Just like when the umpire calls time to award bases on obstruction. -
Before we even get into the injury, are you playing CBO or standard 9-man lineup? Utilizing a standard lineup I have a substitution, which means that the starter cannot reenter until that substitute meets mandatory play. So, the starter's reentry is improper the next half inning and this is subject to protest. CBO - He should be replaced on the bases by the last out if you follow the RIM guidance. Under CBO, a player who is removed for a minor injury (no blood/concussion symptoms, etc.) can return; however, personally the second time he is removed for an "injury" I am not letting him back into the game without medical clearance.
