Jump to content

TheRockawayKid

Established Member
  • Posts

    273
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheRockawayKid

  1. 1) Wasn't at Disney. Doesn't apply. Worse yet, it's a road game, so he's stuck waiting until the bus leaves. Or he's driving. Who knows. 2) I heard him say "it was a strike." Based on the two videos above, he's probably complaining that DI called K3 on Tanaka, but didn't on a similar pitch by his guy, which makes sense. But there was something he wasn't pleased about in general.
  2. MLB umps? Doubtful, especially now that all umps are graded via QuesTec and other pitch tracking software. I don't think they'll let a catcher turn a ball into a strike, but it could go the other way around. But pros are very much "where they crossed the plate." As to why we want our catchers to frame it, it's simple — there's no way in hell we can get away with calling a pitch a strike that crosses at the knees but is picked up by a catcher mid-shin. So we let the catcher help determine what's a strike. Besides, a pitch crossing the plate (all three dimensions of it) is only visible in place for a tiny fraction of a second; it's much easier to see the pitch (as a coach) when the catcher's holding his glove out. I've always thought that no coach wants to see a "rulebook" strike zone, especially on the low end.
  3. I've used the Champro Plus for years (this year, finally upgraded to a WV). It's taken some mid-80s shots, and worked great, which should be fine for you. If you don't think you'll see 85+, the Champro is a great idea. Worst I had was some sore collarbones after some baseballs snuck in, but I figure that was because I didn't tighten it properly. Remember, the primary goal of the CP is to prevent broken bones, or worse, a ball right to the ticker that's going to stop it. The CPP should be good enough to prevent that.
  4. I've seen plenty balls get past F3 and R2 continue home. I need to now R2 touched 3rd. I can watch the play at 2nd and time when I need to glance at 3rd for the touch. What @MidAmUmp is talking about is that R2 goes to third, then goes home. Since his main goal is third base, he's likely going to touch third, then start again for home. The risk for a missed base comes on a hit to the outfield more, when R2 is thinking "home" off the bat, and is likely to miss the base when he cuts.
  5. Because you don't want it to seem that you're showing him up. Just like you don't want the entire game to wait while you lick your wounds. You're both in it together, so you don't let him be the center of attention. If a runner or fielder is injured, there's nothing people can do.
  6. When a catcher gets hit, I normally walk back to the pitcher. When F2 says "I'm good," I'll make it a quick trip. Otherwise, I'll ask the pitcher to take a walk around the mound. I'll do the same when in the field, too, if I'm in B and C.
  7. I answered your question correctly. @Thunderheads does an excellent job of giving you some advice. We will all agree that you don't want buy the least expensive CP either. This is all true. But you also need to consider what level of ball you are calling now, and what you anticipate calling in 5 years. You have some soft shells like this which give good protection, But I'd question its effectiveness at Varsity and above. https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/CP135_Champro-Pro-Plus-Umpire-Chest-Protector?id=455 I can vouch for this CP. I used it for five years, and it worked great, even at varsity level and adult leagues.
  8. Pregame. Always pregame.
  9. I'll never forget this: There's one time that I was in the super slot. Batter is crowding the plate, and the catcher is inside, so my head is basically above the catcher's shoulder and below the batter's. Curve ball comes in, and I don't even see it until it's over the plate. But, I see it gets all the plate, and gets to the glove. Call it a strike. No complaints. As to some tips, I'd definitely echo the suggestion from page 1 about the catcher. When in the field, look at where the catcher is. More often than not, you'll see that catcher's knees are right about where the batter's knees are, and the top of the head (or for a taller catcher, his eyeballs) are at the top of the zone. So if he darts up, that's too high for me. Below the knee is too low. Turned glove is an automatic ball for upper levels. Is this a perfect setup? No, I don't think so. But it's close enough that you're fine, until you get to a college level. Hopefully, if you get to the college level, it means that you're able enough to get the zone down on the batter and timing that you don't have to worry too much about it.
  10. No, I doubt it. I believe that MLB would rather see a fine enforced than a strike. If they enforced the strike rule, could you imagine the calls that "the umpires are making themselves part of the game!"?
  11. You are allowed to feint to an occupied second and third base. You just can't feint to first base.
  12. Counterpoint: Rule 9.01c Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules. MLB fields -- even in Spring Training -- don't have the problem that you're likely to encounter here. The closest thing I can think of is a play when a baseball from the Reds bullpen escaped on the field in the middle of play. In that situation, the umpires let the play stand, despite a confused runner being thrown out. However, since the play hasn't exactly started, kill it immediately. Come out screaming "TIME TIME NO PITCH NO PITCH!" and the batter won't even think of swinging. FED has a similar rule, by the way.
  13. This is legal. Rule 6-1-3: "... the pitcher may turn on his pivot foot or lift it in a jump turn to step with the non-pivot foot toward a base while throwing or feinting... or he may lift his pivot foot in a step backward off the pitcher's plate... " From the stretch, he is able to step directly to any base in order to make a play on a runner. Such a play is NOT allowed from the windup in FED rules (but is in OBR).
  14. I have a question on this topic. From the case book, 2.29.6 Situation B: Here's my question. Doesn't the DT lose its appeal if the ball goes out of play on an appeal chance? What is this situation saying exactly?
  15. My org has a strict policy. One type of shirt from one supplier. Initially, I groused, but eventually, I came to see that it's not bad.
  16. So a batted ball that gets pool-cued off the end of the bat and puts a huge tear in the leather of the ball should just be left in play? A triple off of a hard part of the wall in the outfield that flat spots the ball...Just leave it in? Changing baseballs does not take any extra time. Intentional walks don't take any time because they rarely happen. The best ways to speed up MLB games is by enforcing the batter's box rule, limiting time between pitches without runners on, and cutting down on time between innings. (Like everyone said, that won't happen because of commercials) MLB made their bed on this. If the ball isn't playable-- torn or dented -- I'd say they shouldn't be used. But I'm saying it's crazy to take a ball out just because it touched the dirt.
  17. A. Switching balls doesn't take any time. B. Not switching balls gives the pitcher an advantage. But balls aren't switched like crazy in the NCAA tournament, or in the minors. And yes, getting a new set of baseballs will often take longer than a play itself. From the time the last pitch, the umpire calls the ballboy over, he hands him the baseballs, the umpire looks at the balls and puts them back in... it's a good 10-15 seconds. Plus, that kills the flow of the game.
  18. So MLB wants to speed up baseball games. There are some interesting suggestions, but I feel as if they're leaving off the easiest way to shave off about a minute at a time: Limit the baseball switching by the plate umpire. Watch a half-inning. Is there a bunt? Ball gets switched out. Easy pop fly? New baseball. Ball scrapes the ground? Time to switch it out. This all comes to a head when, with a 2-1 count, the ballboy has to come out to serve three new baseballs to PU. It absolutely kills the flow of the game. Perhaps the rule should be that, if the ball stays in play, use the ball you have. Obviously, if weather conditions aren't great, the umpire should have more discretion. But otherwise, use one baseball per pitcher per half-inning, unless the baseball goes out of play (I'll allow foul balls to be thrown into the stands, because returning them to play takes time and isn't worth it).
  19. So basically it's FED rules. Cool.
×
×
  • Create New...