Recontra
Established Member-
Posts
243 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Everything posted by Recontra
-
Nutty Buddy Cup-Will it fit into UnderArmour Jockstrap Cup Pocket?
Recontra replied to Majordave's topic in Umpire Equipment
You might consider you might be wearing it wrong. It is supposed to float and move a bit, not be pressed down against the body, which it would be on me if I wore it under my compression tights. As others do, I wear bikini briefs, compression tights, NB over tights, and finally "not tight" jock over NB. And that last part is perhaps the most important. I can see wanting to make sure it's tight and secure, as that's how every other cup has worked. But that's not how this one works. And as to keeping it secure but fairly loose, it always moves with me, not away from me. I've met several people who quite understandably at first "don't trust the mechanic" of wearing it in a way that might initially feel "this must be too loose--and these are the jewels we're talking about--I ain't risking it--I'll just wear it more like a traditional cup." You've just got to trust the "mechanic." It works. I also find that it fits better if I pull up my compression tights a bit to make sure they don't fit away from my skin up in the groin area. I also had the same problem as zm1283--I think it was a defect in the glue (lack of enough). I just glued it back on, and it's worked fine ever since. -
I agree with Jax. Interference and obstruction, call it if you see it (unless your partner is right there and you can tell for sure he had eyes on play and made a silent "that's nothing" determination). You may also have had the better panoramic view of that interference, even though you were further away. Even if BU was doing exactly what he was supposed to do, step up and turn with and towards the ball, if the grounder is fairly close to his starting position in C and contact occurs before the ball reaches F-6 (which it sounds like it did), then his focus may still have been on the ball as well as having a moving camera. However, interference like that on a batted ball is not a judgment call up to the sound discretion of either umpire--even if BU no calls it and you see contact, it is what it is. Automatic dead ball and an out. Good call.
-
Sorry, RingEm. You're right. I evidently didn't learn anything while doing 10 years for being an "accessory to hijacking" in an earlier life.
-
While I agree working a 90' solo game is not only doable but kind of fun and exhilarating for the individual umpire (you definitely get a workout), I fortunately work for an association with a commissioner and board that insist on always assigning two umpires to a 90' game--if U2 fails to show--start and maybe finish the game solo--and depending how far from the fort you are, he'll make every effort to get a partner there ASAP. If you insist on only paying for one umpire on a 90' game, then that's ok, but you'll need to look for your umpire(s) elsewhere. Government bureaucrats and youth league administrators will always try to cut budgets so they can spend more or less money where they want it spent and not spent. Cutting down on the number and cost of baseball umpires (for school and youth athletic programs that are already cash strapped) will be something many of them will continually try to do, because to them that will always be an acceptable place to spend less money. And once they get their way a time or two, it'll quickly become more often than not, and maybe eventually all the time. "Well, we did it quite a few times last season, and we didn't have any problems or complaints." So for those who work in states where "basically all" sub-varsity games are solo experiences, did it start out that way, or was that something that creeped up on you little by little and is now something that's politically irreversible??
-
You know, I suspect that Minor League Baseball is operating under the perhaps delusional delusion that Oliver Wendall Holmes' 100 year old proclamation that baseball wasn't commerce, it was our national pastime is still "good law" (i.e. that professional baseball is exempt from federal antitrust laws). I seriously suspect that Minor League Baseball may have and may be continuing to engage in unlawful trade practices in violation of federal antitrust laws in its operation of its umpire "Development" facility. If they eventually run Wendelstedt out of business like they did the Evans' Academy, and continue to have minor league umpire evaluators as instructors at their school, then not only will they be sitting ducks for an antitrust lawsuit, but they'll have a hard time explaining why their continued age discrimination in the hiring of umpires does not constitute a violation of Equal Employment Opportunity laws. I know they wink wink nod nod claim that they only hire young people, so they'll have time for an actual "shot" at the big leagues, but that in and of itself presupposes that Minor League Baseball and MLB are one and the same for purposes of antitrust and employment discrimination laws. Just sayin'. They're certainly not fooling me. Are they fooling anyone??
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
That's awesome. From reading the tone and professionalism evident in many of your posts on other threads, I suspect this is your 1st, because you are a formidable, but also confident and calm verbal judo master and sensei who has talked many coaches back from the precipice. I'm starting my 6th (3rd of h.s.--so clearly less experienced than you--so maybe even not competent to comment), but I've also never had to toss a manager. Knock on wood--I know it's going to happen. Obviously, I'm Monday morning quarterbacking here, but your response to his statement would be my only critique. Angry people (coaches, customers, my own bride occasionally over our 18 years of marital bliss) don't ever like to be told that you know what they or someone else was going to do or say before they do or say it. They consider that accusatory, judgmental, presumptuous, and my experience (off the field) is that will generally send them even closer to the precipice from which there is no return. That's awesome. I even think you kind of baiting him a bit there is awesome as well (for the same reason I don't think your report is too long). I, also, live on the "Left Coast" where "moral ambiguity" is the name of the game, and where the law enforcer will be put on trial and initially suspect even before the evil doer's actions are analyzed. Out here it seems like the state and local associations really want a complete and accurate blow by blow account of what did and did not occur. If that post ejection behavior had happened to me, I think I'd be smiling inside and thinking, "Thank God for that post-ejection outrageous display--now there's no way in hell this ejection gets reversed on appeal--and no way in hell I get criticized for executing capital punishment upon a public employee." Thanks for the post. May my 1st be as professionally handled as yours was.
-
aiber, if I could be so audacious as to give some post-game parking lot feedback, here's what it would be: It's natural for a new umpire to be stressed, nervous, wound a little tight, and not exactly calm before, during, and after games. You manage hundreds of teachers and students in a tough environment, and those skills will serve you well on the diamond--but get a grip and realize that you're a foreigner as an umpire on the diamond, and you're going to have some culture shock you'll need to get over. With experience comes confidence, with confidence comes calm, with greater calm comes more confidence--after a few hundred games you'll start looking like the "Whomping Willow" out on the field--solidly rooted to the earth and mostly calm and still, quickly mobile when necessary--but with extreme economy of movement. Please treat this forum like your post game. The best thing we can ask our partners after a game is: "OK, what do you got for me?" And then listen calmly to hopefully the blunt unredacted and uncensored truth and opinion that follows. I've heard from every Pro umpire I've ever talked to that they spend hours post-gaming every game, going over every play, talking about it, and giving and receiving constructive criticism. If it's important for Pro umpires to do that, it's sure as hell critical for guys like you and me. Sure, a lot of post-game critique is hypothetical and with 20/20 hindsight, but that's how we learn. We think about our mistakes, and then the next time the same or a similar situation occurs, we don't even have to think about what to do--we've already played it over in our minds hundreds of times. Communicate with your partner days before the game, and agree to meet pre-game in a parking lot to get geared up--park next to each other, and if that means parking even further away, then do it. Never meet up at the field, and if somehow possible, always park next to each other. Get geared down together after the game, and do a quality post-game. Have a shoe-washing station ready to go in your car/truck--and even if your partner is in a hurry to get the hell out of Dodge, subtley make him stay at least as long as it takes you to clean, dry, and spray your shoes. Pick his brain, pick his brain, pick his brain--even brand new guys can give us quality feedback. And if there are things you didn't have time to post game (or your partner said something bizarrely weird you think might be wrong), bring it here. Each of the guys here was once a newbie/rookie umpire, and despite their sometimes sarcasm and blunt honesty in their opinions, everyone is here (even the most senior guys), because we are all still striving for perfection--to one day have that perfect game before our colleagues eventually sit us down over a beer and let us know it really is time for us to box up our gear.
-
Thanks for that statement. A game changer for me. Have heard more than one partner go all "you" and "your" with a coach, and then a few sentences later I hear my partner audaciously ask the same coach, "Did you just say, 'You'?" as if the coach just committed a felony (yes, I have read the ongoing discussion on the other thread about "you" and "your" and whether they are inherently personal--not my point). Managing difficult people in difficult situations--that's why we're there. Guiding as many of them successfully through the fog as we can--that's job security for us. Great thread, this. Sidebar--there's a huge old Victorian mansion in Astoria, Oregon (mouth of the Columbia River). The owner had just one valuable skill for which he charged loads--he'd take a small craft a few miles off the coast and hop onto a cargo ship and successfully pilot the ship a few miles across the dangerous river bar, and then be dropped off on the other side. Made millions getting people successfully through just 1/2 mile of ocean.
-
I agree. The only thing you'll need to do is switch out the stock female end of the snap buckles on the Delta with the UE female ends, because the snap buckles are not compatible. You'll understand when you get it.
-
Can't disagree with anyone, especially all the much more experienced umpires. However, the more I read this thread, the more I'm liking even more Richvee's "Damn close" (or if you're working two private Christian schools, "Darn close"). There's a lot being said with those two words: (1) If it wasn't damn close to the edge, the batter wouldn't be asking--so Richvee is simply stating the obvious; (2) "Damn close" also says, "It was a strike, it's still a strike, and there is no question that it wasn't a strike;" (3) If the next words out of your mouth are something other than silence or "Ok" or "Thank you," then there's also no question remaining whether you're asking for information for next time, or arguing balls and strikes this time and there might not be a next time; and (4) This conversation is over.
-
The six most important words to remember saying after every game: "What Do You Got For Me?"
-
Have never had the question come up (yet), but in reading the debate and in agreeing with the pros and cons of everyone, this seems to be the one answer you could give (if you want to give one) that both answers the question and ends the discussion. I like it!
-
Being one of the "lesser experienced" umpires," I agree balks can be overwhelming, so appreciate any and all posts and discussions. I don't see a violation here. Looks like he stepped toward and threw it to the base--had F-3 been standing on the bag, I think he could have fielded the ball from the base. I assume he could single, double, or triple hop it there--heck he could probably roll it there, as long as he steps toward and throws it to the base. It's irrelevant in my mind that F-3 ended up intercepting the ball before it got to the base, or that F-3 was nowhere near the base when the step and throw occurred. The rule doesn't require a defensive player to be anywhere near the base, just that the base be occupied which 1st was.
-
Ok, so I'm a huge fan of Unequal gear (and now have the CP, Shins, and mask bought in that order). Got a slight concussion with a Diamond w/ Wendy's last Spring (harsh impact) and got the UE mask. You wear it snugly, so while it's heavy it doesn't pull down on your neck. Took 10 plates to get nailed, and when I finally did, it felt like no more than a "push" (unflipping believable). My UE CP covers my ribs where the Platinum didn't, and I agree $26 and a Delta Harness on it works awesome. However, as much as I love it through and through, and have no fears whatsoever for my heart, chest, ribs, collar bone, shoulders, etc., I think it's a little misleading (if not completely disingenuous) to say that you won't feel the impacts. My experience says you will very much "feel" the impacts much more than w/ the Wilson. Let's be serious. Direct shots to the Platinum bounce off and rebound towards the pitcher ("Is that all you got?"). Direct shots to the UE will drop straight down, and you will feel a slap (and even the sting of a slap--especially if hit on the nipples). The sensation goes away within seconds, and I've never had a bruise or a mark (trust me, I've checked plenty of times). Love my UE CP. Love it, love it, love it, love it. But to say you won't feel it? Please, not on my watch.
-
If you haven't already taken the 2015 100 question test (assuming it's the same everywhere), may I suggest you review the 2013 test and answers (if you copied them when they opened that test up), as well as the 2015 NFHS Case Update published earlier this month and posted here on 2-12-15 by noumpere: http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/60583-baseball-rules-interpretations-201 I got a 97, then read noumpere's post and said, "Gosh darn'it." They're all on there.
-
You're probably right, but there might be some small increment that flows to them via the PBUC, and even if it could be done for youth, travel, and adult games after high school and college ended, why not? For guys like me, umpiring is pure joy, athletic challenge, self-improvement, camaraderie, and a hobby I discovered fairly late in life--If I weren't paid at all for any games, I'd still do it (and still do for LL). But there are lots of amateur umpires who (with equal love of umpiring), truly depend upon supplemental officiating income to keep food on the table year round. For them, I'd be unequivocally in favor of corporate sponsorship of crews and associations.
-
So to stay on topic, if I were a minor league umpire barely making minimum wage, and trying to keep food on the table back home, and make student loan payments, I sure as hell would accept money to wear extra league approved patches on my uniform, however tacky it might look.
-
I thought flag etiquette has the hand over the heart, not the cap. Did that change?
-
The more patches you have, the more you look like you must know what you're doing. I'd want to add a name patch that says, "Irv" and maybe even get a crew together for an evening bowling league. We'd be the envy of the alley.
-
Thanks for both replies. Think I got it. A BR who misses the bag, but who runs through the bag and either has a foot on the ground to the side of or who is "passed" the bag before the catch is made shall be called Safe! Everything else, umpire the play and make the call.
-
I apologize if I'm the kind of knucklehead who has to occasionally repeatedly kick a horse to make sure it's really dead (did that with an elk once, but that bastard was huge and had lots of pointy things I was concerned about). Where are the terms, "passed" or "passing" coming from? I don't see them in the case examples. I'm thinking Johnny08's interp seems more reasonable than those above him. Obviously, if he's beyond the base, he's presumed to have touched it, but something isn't quite sitting right with me--as if the rule wasn't really written for the banger, but rather for the presumption that a runner is presumed to have touched a base once he is beyond the base. And if I'm totally wrong, it certainly won't be the first (or last) time. I think that is the current interp from somewhere. I believe previous to that interp there was another one requiring all of the runner to be past the back edge of the bag before you rule him safe because there was always a chance of a touch as the runner passes. Picture the BR's lead foot landing a few inches short in front and, as the trail foot goes over without touching and lands behind 1B, the lead foot touches the base as it comes forward off the ground. The ball beats the touch but does not beat the passing of the front edge. The old interp (if my memory is correct) would have you call the BR out. The current one would have you safe him and require the defense to appeal it. But since they saw the touch they probably are not going to appeal. They will probably just argue about what you saw. Is that really right? (1) BR slides head first into 1st, his right hand comes down on the dirt clearly past the front plane of the bag but 6" in foul territory. F-3 then catches the ball with foot in contact with bag. Then BR's left hand touches the top of the bag. We're supposed to call that "Safe!" and insist upon a proper appeal of a missed base? (2) BR plants his left foot in the dirt 6" in front of the bag, his body is airborne over the bag when F-3 catches the ball with a foot in contact with the bag. Then BR's right foot comes down in the dirt beyond the bag. We're supposed to call that "Safe!" because his body broke the front plane and insist upon a proper appeal of a missed base? (3) BR plants his left foot in the dirt 6" in front of the bag, his body is airborne over the bag when F-3 catches the ball with a foot in contact with the bag. Then BR's right foot comes down square in the middle of the bag. That's every banger. We all know that's an out. But the interp above suggests he's safe, but subject to being called out on appeal. (4) BR plants his right foot in the dirt 6" to the foul side of the bag but past the front plane. F-3 then catches the ball with a foot in contact with the bag. Then BR intentionally extends his left foot and touches the top of the back of the bag. We're supposed to call that "Safe!" and insist upon a proper appeal of a missed base? I'm left with: If BR actually touches the bag at some point as he passes after the catch, then he's out. However, if he never touches the bag as he passes after the catch, he'll be safe if he broke the plane before the catch. I feel like a Pope who's just been told the sun and planets do not orbit the earth.
-
What constitutes an illegal "grooved" bat
Recontra replied to fredskinz's question in Ask the Umpire
That's a cool bat. Looks very old and wondering if it's the real deal. Doesn't say, "Powerized" under the "Louisville," so it's not like any commercial Slugger I ever used. Worth hanging on the wall or against a desk. I wouldn't even hit wiffle balls with it, though, due to the cracks. -
I concur. I almost added to the story that it was obvious to me that was something only a very senior and established and respected umpire in a higher league could get away with. Joe West could probably get away with that, and probably even shout "Let's see you draw a line on that!" so it's heard in the nose bleed seats. First time AAA guy called up to cover a game? Maybe not. I get it. Still cracked me up. Also, it's an example of a very senior umpire not automatically tossing a batter for drawing a line in the dirt.
-
Yep. Sorry, my bad. Should have "anticipated all play possibilities but not their outcomes . . ." "Batter gets yarded for any reason (good, bad, horseSH*#, unnecessary, necessary, lame, technically correct but OO, etc.) . . .?" I heard a great story from a former PAC 10 (now PAC 12) retired umpire. High level NCAA game, he calls a strike on an outsidish pitch. Batter draws a line in the dirt. Umpire ignores the batter. Next pitch comes in way the hell outside and high. "Strike!!" "Let's see you draw a line on that."
