That was quick!!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4341 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The 12U and under season ended for me on Saturday... I was accepted (after some convincing) to work Juniors ball and possibly a little Seniors ball in my local league, but I wanted to work some more games too.

I found a large listing on InfoSports.com to over 400 baseball tournaments being held in the local area. I sent out 21 emails to different Tournament Directors asking if they still needed umpires. I didn't expect to hear much back, but I recieved 8 emails back already.

6 of them told me that they were full but would keep my info on file for future tournaments. Fair enough.

1 told me they contract their umpires from a local league, and asked if I wanted to work their summer league. I passed because it would have been very tough for me to make the hour drive on a bi-weekly basis.

1 (magical) one first responded they were full but would keep my info.. I responded with a thank you, and he responded (rather quickly) that they had just had an umpire cancel, and that seven games were open next saturday and sunday (the 16th and 17th) if I wanted them.

:wow::notworthy::hi5:

Some more correspondence will be needed, but he has passed on the tournament rules to me already, and he has me slotted in all day next Saturday (earliest start 8am, latest end 1030pm) and Sunday (earliest start 8am, latest end 830pm).

Now to just convince my parents that it will be worth their time to take four 1-hour long round trips back and forth from my home!

I work tournaments almost every weekend. Just finished our State tourney this weekend. 5 games Sat & 4 today. There's really no difference other than how much time you spend on your feet. Thick, cushion soled socks and orthotic insoles. Be sure to check what color shirts you need. We have 7 different colors that we wear. Take EVERYTHING you THINK you might need. And corn starch. Liberally powder your nether regions and inner thighs with corn starch to prevent chafing. Ask how and when you will be paid. Some pay cash after final game, some mail checks. Know before you go. Eat lots of fruit and super hyydrate starting Friday night. Drink at least 1 bottle of H2O per game. A golf towel hanging on the fence helps dry the sweat between innings. Know the tourney specific rules. Have fun. Let me know how it goes.

• Like 1

Deodorant, febreeze, ibuprofen, spray sunscreen and a stick sunscreen. DO NOT spray your face. The sweat will carry it into your eyes. Use the stick on your lips, nose, forehead, and ears. Keep a quarter in your accessory bag. Probably flip for H/V during pool play. Stuff to clean your shoes between plate/base changes. 2 pens. A stopwatch. Extra indicator.

I also work tournaments about every weekend. Another one of the big things to find out is if they are going to provide meals and drinks. Most tournaments that I work provide lunch, small snacks, and water. I you are going to want additional food/drinks, remember to bring a little cash for the concession stand.

Here is the list of things that I carry in my bag for a weekend tournament: Alieve, icyhot, chapstick, sunscreen, bugspray, foot powder, frog togg, extra towels, extra socks, and extra change of under clothes.

It is also important to plan and pack for all types of weather. Yesterday we started off the day sunny, mid 70's with a south wind of 15+, about 11 am a cold front pushed through and the temps dropped to the low 50's with north winds 25+. (Fans, players, and umpires quickly went scrambling for jackets) Then by about 2PM temps were back up into the 70's. A lot of times I get a hard time from fellow umpires about how much STUFF I bring with me, guess who wasn't complaining they were cold when the weather changed... this guy! And guess who was asking if I had an extra jacket.

Long story short, pack twice as much as you think you are going to need!!!

• Like 1

I will Echo what everyone else here is saying about Tournaments....

If you have the opportunity to speak to your partner the day before, you can plan for Shirt Color ahead of time.

HAVE FUN!!

Also, while I'm here... Any tips on working tournaments? I've never worked more than two games in a day - I was assaigned four in one day and three in another.

With all of my experience working tournaments, the only advice I can tell you is to GET OUT! All the ones I've ever worked were never worth the money for the amount of time I put in. Not to mention the misery I was in the next day from being so exhausted.

Also, while I'm here... Any tips on working tournaments? I've never worked more than two games in a day - I was assaigned four in one day and three in another.

With all of my experience working tournaments, the only advice I can tell you is to GET OUT! All the ones I've ever worked were never worth the money for the amount of time I put in. Not to mention the misery I was in the next day from being so exhausted.

????? Seriously ????? I LOVE doing tournament ball! I call nearly every weekend. I'm disappointed on weekends I DON'T get to call. I did 9 games this past weekend. The financial benefit is sssooo worth the time invested. Plus I'm doing what I love. You see better talent, generally better coaching, at nice venues. Meet lots of interesting people, some of whom I recognize from their MLB careers. Did I mention I make GOOD $ doing what I love?

I love doing tournament ball also. The money is great and play is better.

Normally is between 8-12 games. Yes it is tiring. But good exercise and I just love to Umpire!

Normally is between 8-12 games. Yes it is tiring. But good exercise and I just love to Umpire!

Jax, did you ever check into the World Series tourney in PC next month?

Jax, did you ever check into the World Series tourney in PC next month?

I have drawn a blank on this one. Can you remind me what this is? PC?

How do you guys usually get into the tourny ball? Just like I did (emails), or is it just people you know?

That second email I got turned out to be the jackpot! He penciled me in to work their entire 10U level of the tournament, all behind the plate. Thirteen games over 3 days. :wow: :wow: :wow:

A combination of factors. People you know/meet at games. Google. You will start networking yourself and find your niche. I don't want 13 plates in 3 days. That's too much. You and your partner should swap it up every couple of games.

I also find tournaments fun to work! Besides doing what you love, with better teams, you usually get to interact with many other umpires -- either as partners, or because you interact with them between all the games going on at a complex.

I agree with everything everyone else has said. Here are a few things that I would like to emphasize:

Sunscreen --- put it on before the first game! Unless it's predicted to be cloudy all day, you may be surprised and end up facing directly into the sun for 1-2 hours before you get the next chance to apply the sunscreen. If you get burned you will really suffer the next day. I use spray --- easier to apply. But don't spray directly on your face; spray it on your hand and then spread it on your face using your hand.

Unless you know they will feed you and give you water/gatorade, bring your own lunch/dinner, water/gatorade/whatever, snacks, etc. Keep it all in a cooler with ice, in your vehicle (or the central complex building). Even when the food is free, if it's not that good I pack my own lunch. Do not underestimate the benefit of a good lunch and lots of liquids --- you need your strength and you need to be hydrated to umpire all day, or you'll find yourself suffering and losing concentration.

The coach's and parents can be more intense at tournaments. As usual, ignore the fans/parents. Coaches: be professional and authoritative from the start (plate meeting), and it will be fine.

A major factor in working tournaments is the TD. If you have a TD that backs the umpires, all will work out.

Above all: have fun!!!!! And, be ready to pass along the funny stories!!!! :)

A combination of factors. People you know/meet at games. Google. You will start networking yourself and find your niche. I don't want 13 plates in 3 days. That's too much. You and your partner should swap it up every couple of games.

From the sound of it, my partner is just a very good varsity baseball player in the tournaments town with little to no expirience. I don't think he even has equipment. -_-

I also find tournaments fun to work! Besides doing what you love, with better teams, you usually get to interact with many other umpires -- either as partners, or because you interact with them between all the games going on at a complex.

I agree with everything everyone else has said. Here are a few things that I would like to emphasize:

Sunscreen --- put it on before the first game! Unless it's predicted to be cloudy all day, you may be surprised and end up facing directly into the sun for 1-2 hours before you get the next chance to apply the sunscreen. If you get burned you will really suffer the next day. I use spray --- easier to apply. But don't spray directly on your face; spray it on your hand and then spread it on your face using your hand.

Unless you know they will feed you and give you water/gatorade, bring your own lunch/dinner, water/gatorade/whatever, snacks, etc. Keep it all in a cooler with ice, in your vehicle (or the central complex building). Even when the food is free, if it's not that good I pack my own lunch. Do not underestimate the benefit of a good lunch and lots of liquids --- you need your strength and you need to be hydrated to umpire all day, or you'll find yourself suffering and losing concentration.

The coach's and parents can be more intense at tournaments. As usual, ignore the fans/parents. Coaches: be professional and authoritative from the start (plate meeting), and it will be fine.

A major factor in working tournaments is the TD. If you have a TD that backs the umpires, all will work out.

Above all: have fun!!!!! And, be ready to pass along the funny stories!!!! :)

Thank you for all of this! I loved hearing from the second TD, "We will back you 110% on everything."

From the sound of it, my partner is just a very good varsity baseball player in the tournaments town with little to no expirience. I don't think he even has equipment. -_-

This may be ok on your inaugural Tournament outing, don't let this become a habit. you spent the $ getting gear, it only stands to reason your partner should split the plates. If not, you should make more per game than he. I have a couple of HS partners that don't do plates, they pay the other guy to do them. Usually $5 a game. Don't be taken advantage of. 13 plates in 3 days without the option of swapping up? My rate goes up.

You guys must not have decent regular season ball? My regular season high school games are normally pretty good quality. Far better quality than I've ever seen at any tournament (and I've probably called 15-20 tournaments throughout the years). Plus, I get paid nearly 2.5x per HS game as I would per tournament game. Making $300/weekend and working 8-10 games is not worth it for me. Not even close. Especially not when I can work just 4 HS games and almost make that money. I don't know, things must be different in your parts of the country. To each their own I suppose, I'm not by any means bashing anyone. I love calling the game, but I don't need the money. I guess that may be where things differ. I guess you could say the baseball games support my golfing addiction!

Even if it is cloudy wear sunscreen. You will still sunburn on cloudy days.

My wife works at a dermatologist office. From what she tells me you don't want to take chances. Please wear sunblock!

MJR,

You can't do 13 plates in 3 days, ...that's absolutely stupid! DO WHATEVER YOU CAN to NOT do that ...... you won't be fresh, you'll wind up hating it,...and you'll be absolutely exhausted!

Who did you hook up with where you're driving an hour to umpire a tourney?