Rawlings LWMXTI

dl1340
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3546 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I started a post without realizing this post was here. I'll put my post:

"I'm thinking of getting the Rawlings TI. I already have the All-Star FM4000. Was thinking of using one for day and one for night games. How is the Rawlings TI? Good vision? Profile? Weight?"

How much lighter is it, if at all, than the Champro Magnesium, at less than half the price?

I'm not sold on the Ti frames. Not with the lightweight frames from other makers, that are far less prone to bending. Ti was cool where there were no options that were close. Now, not so much.

Has anyone ever heard of a silver Diamond frame failing? I haven't.

• Like 1

How much lighter is it, if at all, than the Champro Magnesium, at less than half the price?

I'm not sold on the Ti frames. Not with the lightweight frames from other makers, that are far less prone to bending. Ti was cool where there were no options that were close. Now, not so much.

Has anyone ever heard of a silver Diamond frame failing? I haven't.

I've never heard of an aluminum diamond frame failing but I have had two concussions from using one(with wilson wrap around pads. This was before TW got into the mask market). Yeah it's really light and it's really inexpensive but it's also not very protective. Aluminum when used to make a mask has to be hardened so much that the frame has no flex in it. Lighter masks have to have flex to be effective means of protection because there is very little mass to take the force of the ball. Titanium frames are great because they are light but also provide some flex when they are struck with a ball which absorbs a good amount of the force and spreads it laterally. I don't have any experience with magnesium frames but from what I have heard they are pretty nice. Magnesium does offer a good amount of flex generally and is relatively strong so I can't imagine a manufacturer having to harden the metal to much to make a mask. I will say though that if the champro was as good as they claim it to be that at least 1 or 2 professional umpires at any given level would use it. Most people think that gear is given to professional umpires especially at the MLB level, but that just isn't the case. They have to buy their own equipment, and yes it is at a fairly large discount but it's all relative. Given the price of the magnesium compared to other masks on the market it would make sense that someone in the MLB would use one if it offered the same sort of protection that titanium does. I think we can all agree that at the professional level titanium has become the standard as far as traditional masks go. Also I want to add and I'm not directing this at any one person or anybody but just a side note about the Nike because I see a lot of comments about how people just get the Nike to look cool and that's why so many leave the Nike pads on even thought they really aren't that great of pads from an umpiring stand point. Not everyone gets the Nike to look cool and say they have a Nike. I got my Nike and immediately changed out the pads for some TWs, I also didn't pay any more for my Nike than it would have cost me to get a Wilson Ti or a Rawlings Ti. I didn't get the Nike to look cool or anything like that. I got it because it has the widest field of vision for any traditional mask on the market as well as excellent protection and is extremely light.

Could someone let me know a good website that has this that ships to Canada? They don't have it on Ump-attire.com and I only found it on Amazon.com but they don't have TW. I would like to ship it all together because I live in Canada and have to pay extra every time I get something shipped.

Could someone let me know a good website that has this that ships to Canada? They don't have it on Ump-attire.com and I only found it on Amazon.com but they don't have TW. I would like to ship it all together because I live in Canada and have to pay extra every time I get something shipped.

If my memory is correct Honig's and Ump-Attire are the sole US distributors of TW pads.  So you likely will have to place separate orders to get what you are looking for as neither carries the Rawlings mask..

• Like 1

If my memory is correct Honig's and Ump-Attire are the sole US distributors of TW pads.  So you likely will have to place separate orders to get what you are looking for as neither carries the Rawlings mask..

I think, what he is trying to do is find someone here to receive the packages, bundle it in one and ship it to him.

I think, what he is trying to do is find someone here to receive the packages, bundle it in one and ship it to him.

LOL no, I was looking for a online retailer who sells both.

You may be able to order TW directly from TW if you send them an email and explain the situation. At worst they will give you a link or two about distributors for them in Canada. I doubt you will be able to find a place that carries both the Rawlings and TW considering that TWs are marketed to be umpire only equipment and the Rawlings is marketed as a catchers mask and not an umpire mask. I'm interested to see if Rawlings will respond to the increase of popularity of their LWMXTI frame in the umpiring world with an umpires version of the mask. It would make sense to do so and it may even make the frame a little lighter if they cut out some of the metal from the squared off catcher style ear guards and make them more triangular like what has become pretty customary for umpire masks these days.

• 8 months later...

I just picked up one of these wnd and I couldn't be more impressed. Like acpar said earlier...slot it right behind my Nike, and equal to or above the wilsons. I really like this mask in areas of weight, shape and view.

If anyone's interested, amazon.com seems to have the best prices on these masks (at times). Prices seem to fluctuate but I've seen them as low as $133 and for a titanium mask.

http://www.amazon.com/Rawlings-Titanium-Face-Mask-Black/dp/B008PQ6ZCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405327953&sr=8-1&keywords=rawlings+titanium+mask