- 0
Does "voluntary and intentional" apply for something like a pitcher covering first to get the force?
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 543 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question
orangebird
I don't have an actual video of this scenario since I just thought of it but I'm sure it's happened before somewhere in a game and I realized I'm not 100% sure how it'd apply/not apply
Pitcher runs towards first to cover the base on a force, F3 flips it to him, he steps on the base with the ball secure in his glove but right afterwards it pops out.
Is the runner safe because the release wasn't voluntary and intentional, or does voluntary and intentional only apply for catching a liner/flyball/etc in the air?
Top Posters For This Question
3
2
2
1
Popular Days
Apr 14
8
Apr 13
1
Top Posters For This Question
orangebird 3 posts
Replacematt 2 posts
Richvee 2 posts
SeeingEyeDog 1 post
Popular Days
Apr 14 2025
8 posts
Apr 13 2025
1 post
Popular Posts
Richvee
Here.
Replacematt
No, it does not apply. This is a tag (of a base.) For a tag to be valid, a fielder must have secure possession of the ball during and through the act of completing the tag. After that, it does n
Richvee
Maybe I’m mis remembering. Didn’t NCAA have a video with a pitcher covering , tagging the bag, then tripping and falling and falling and losing possession of the ball? And NCAA’s ruling was he didn’t
8 answers to this question
Recommended Posts