Obstruction & Interference for the First Baseman - I have some questions

McMike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 698 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I had a question about obstruction by a first baseman blocking the base path while trying to catch an errant throw.  I could not find an unequivocal answer, and there seems to be different rule sets.  And then, well, I got on a roll and had a buncha more questions.

Obvious

1. First baseman fielding a batted ball in the batter-runner’s lane = first baseman has right of way, any collision is runner interference.

2. A first baseman without ball who lingers on the inside bag corner for a runner trying to round to second = obvious interference.

3. An errant throw to first base that is NOT catchable, but draws the first baseman into the running lane = probably fielder obstruction.

4. Pitcher AND first baseman crowd the running lane while fielding a bunt or making an infield play = one of them probably obstructed the runner.

Less Obvious?

1. An errant throw to first base from shortstop is catchable, but draws the first baseman into the running lane. 

1. Depends on rule set.

2. In Little League, is fielder protected and batter-runner must avoid collision, or is a collision a train wreck/no call, or fielder obstruction?

3. In High School, fielder must yield to batter-runner and let the errant throw pass?

2. A first baseman is receiving a throw at 1B; must he provide space on the bag for the runner as well?  Or can he block the bag.

3. If the fielder is about to receive an imminent throw, is that the same as making a play with the ball, or must he be in possession of the ball to gain rights?

4. I assume that a runner in Little League must ALWAYS try to avoid a collision, does this include when a first baseman is legitimately blocking first base while receiving a throw or diving towards the bag to make a tag. In other words, a first baseman making a play or receiving a thrown ball has the advantage, since the runner must do something likely to slow himself down to avoid the collision, even though he technically has a right to the basepath at the same time as the fielder has a right to make a play (aside from an obvious has ball/making tag scenario).

1. In other words, if the collision is predictable and there is time to react, there is NEVER a legal collision involving a runner?  So there is in fact no such thing as a train wreck in little league (except accidents).

While we are on the topic

1. A first baseman sneaking over to receive a pickoff throw, same time as runner attempts a steal to 2B, and runner must divert path/they collide.

1. Does it depend if the throw is imminent (i.e. in the air)?

2. Does it depend on the rule set?

2. After overrunning 1B, the runner decides to head for 2B, same time as first basemen (not making a play) is taking a couple steps back from the bag looking away from the runner, and they collide.  Call?

3. After starting to steal 2B, runner changes his mind, spins around, and heads back to 1B, immediately colliding with the first baseman, who was a step behind the runner.  Call?

4. Catcher’s pickoff throw to 2B draws second baseman and stealing runner onto the bag at the same time, so they collide.  Call?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

4 answers to this question

1. Agree: this is INT.
  2. This is OBS, not INT, as the fielder hindered the runner.
  3. Agree
  4. Agree
  5. If the fielder has the ball, this is nothing. If not, it will depend on the code: nothing in OBR, but OBS in FED. I don't work LL.
  6. The requirements for F3 are no different from any other fielder or any other base, and they vary by code.
  7. The rule sets that carve out an exception for making a play include receiving a throw.
  8. There are legal collisions, but never legal intentional collisions, even in pro ball now. So, yes, runners must always attempt to avoid fielders, even when the fielder is obstructing the runner. Failure to do so generally results in either an INT call or MC or both. The onus is on umpires to call OBS properly so that runners don't get penalized for avoiding an obstructing fielder.
  9. If F3 collides with R1 on the way to 1B, that's almost certainly OBS. If the collision happens at the base, that's either nothing or, possibly, OBS depending on the code.
  10. This will depend on whether the contact hinders the BR: if he had a legitimate chance to advance—batted ball in the gap, for instance, or a substantial overthrow—then we should rule OBS. Otherwise, no hindrance = no OBS: if the runner could not have advanced, he wasn't hindered.
  11. If the fielder hasn't moved, then he shouldn't be in the runner's way or on the path back to the base. A runner who hinders himself by running out of his way (accidentally or not) and collides with a fielder shouldn't draw an OBS call.
  12. Did F4 have the ball? I'll guess the question assumes not, because a fielder with the ball can't be guilty of OBS. If he does not have the ball, it's nothing in OBR and OBS in FED.

A brief followup on my answer to #8: even FED recognizes legal collisions, as when a fielder who catches a thrown ball is drawn into the runner's path and they collide.

This can't be OBS because the fielder has the ball; it can't be INT because the need to avoid developed too late; and I'm stipulating it's not MC. 

So, legal collision. Note that it's still legal even if the fielder drops the ball as a result of the contact: he was in possession of the ball at contact, so not guilty of OBS (but he also didn't tag the runner).

LL clarified this recently: on a nonbatted ball, a fielder hindering runner without the ball is OBS. This applies in multiple of OP examples.

From LL 2021 RIM under Obstruction definition "It is quite simple now for the umpires to rule on obstruction….if the defense does not have the ball and impedes
the progress of any runner it shall be called obstruction. It makes no difference if the defense is fielding a thrown
ball or waiting for the ball, if the defensive player does not have the ball in his/her possession it is obstruction if
they impede the progress of any runner."

1710640580_ScreenShot2022-06-01at1_56_48PM.thumb.png.d5f79106af0b95eb3c60ddca79b5b1f1.png