Pitcher reentering - NFHS 3.1.2

BLWizzRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 756 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The discussion is can a pitcher return to pitch if he is removed from the game and returns (being eligible to return).  NFHS 3.1.2 states

"... A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule."

I argue that if he eligible to return, say he was a starter, pitched, substituted for, and returned, he could pitch again.  Others argue that he couldn't since he was taken out of the game. 

What do you think?

1 hour ago, BLWizzRanger said:

The discussion is can a pitcher return to pitch if he is removed from the game and returns (being eligible to return).  NFHS 3.1.2 states

"... A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule."

I argue that if he eligible to return, say he was a starter, pitched, substituted for, and returned, he could pitch again.  Others argue that he couldn't since he was taken out of the game. 

What do you think?

I think you are right. I think there is a cite that says you are right but it should not be needed as your naysayers have no cite. 

• Like 1

2014 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 14: In the fifth inning, the starting pitcher is removed for the first time in the game and goes to the bench. In the seventh inning, the original starting pitcher is re-entered to face the last batter. The opposing coach argues that the player cannot return to pitch, saying “once removed, he cannot come back to pitch.” RULING: If a starting pitcher was removed to the bench, he may return to pitch in a game provided a) he has re-entry eligibility; b) he faced the first batter of the game, or faced the first batter as a relief pitcher until that batter was on base or out or the third out of the inning occurred; c) his departure was not due to a violation of the defensive charged conference rule (fourth defensive conference in a seven-inning game); and d) his relief did not take more than eight warm-up throws. If those conditions are met, a pitcher may return to the mound. If a pitcher is removed and goes to another defensive position, he may be removed and return to pitch once an inning, provided the above requirements are met. (3-1-2, 3; 3-4-1 Penalty)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

You're right.

BTW, the quoted passage in the OP is irrelevant. It concerns the team that wants to switch fielder positions around, with nobody leaving the game (for example, RHP and LHP play F1 and F6, then switch back and forth depending on the batter).

The quoted rule limits those switches. So, for example, a team could pitch RHP, LHP, RHP, LHP, and then keep the LHP on the mound (or pitch someone else).

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I will pass along.

I should have bolded the 'substitution' part as that was what I was hinging my argument on.  Substitution rules being one re-entry per starter. If it didn't violate that, than the other factors needed to be met as well to return.

Again, Thanks!

• Like 1