NFHS FPSR one more time

Because I had it in a summer ball game (NFHS rules) today with 9th-10th graders coached by the Varsity HC.  I was on plate and what I saw was the runner go in standing up as the SS was throwing the ball to 1B.  The throw was not hindered.  I called time, said I had INT at 2B and the BR was also out.

HC and his college aged assistant argued there was no hindrance and I agreed with them.  I then said the NFHS rule is stricter than that - the runner must either slide legally or move away from the fielder or it is interference. I saw neither, just the runner going in standing. HC said I was wrong but let's go.  I told him that's OK you think so.  He then said lets look it up and talk about it when we meet again and I said I thought that was a good idea.

So I'm considering this my research.  🙂

EDIT: I note the game ending CWS FPSR violation also posted today.  My play was very similar except R1 did not hinder the catch or throw at 2B.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is..,the rule provides a runner two options, slide legally or veer away, end of story (in Fed and NCAA) going straight in is neither

So if there was no hindrance, what exactly was the infraction? We know that runners don't have to slide, but if they don't they cannot hinder the play of the middle infielder. And you've stipulated that R1 didn't hinder.

Sounds like HC might be right, at least about the rule. If there was an FPSR violation in the play, your description so far isn't capturing it (at least as I'm envisioning the play.

It's also possible that your idea of 'hindrance' isn't expansive enough. If the middle infielder has to "play around" the runner going in standing, that's hindrance—no contact is required. If the runner's position creates sufficient delay that the BR ends up safe at 1B, that's likely hindrance too. If you judged that there was an FPSR violation, something like this might be the basis, and I'd be OK with that (because it is, after all, hindrance).

Without video, we can't assess the judgment aspect of the call.

Sure. But I've asked here in the past if hindrance is necessary in High school and been told no. That at this level safety is the key factor. An instructor for our association said something similar.  The runner must slide legally or get out of the way, period. 

Is that not the case?

• agdz59 changed the title to NFHS FPSR one more time
54 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

Sure. But I've asked here in the past if hindrance is necessary in High school and been told no. That at this level safety is the key factor. An instructor for our association said something similar.  The runner must slide legally or get out of the way, period. 

Is that not the case?

Where was F6?  If he was on the base or moving down the line from 2b-1b to make the throw, that's one set of facts; if he moved toward RF to make the throw, that's another.  (I'm assuming R1 wan in the direct line from 1B to 2B the entire time.)

56 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

Is that not the case?

It is..,the rule provides a runner two options, slide legally or veer away, end of story (in Fed and NCAA)

going straight in is neither

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Where was F6?  If he was on the base or moving down the line from 2b-1b to make the throw, that's one set of facts; if he moved toward RF to make the throw, that's another.  (I'm assuming R1 wan in the direct line from 1B to 2B the entire time.)

F6 was touching the bag with his left foot with his body toward the pitchers mound and making the throw. R1 went straight in standing up, yes. There was no contact between F6 and R1.

3 hours ago, agdz59 said:

F6 was touching the bag with his left foot with his body toward the pitchers mound and making the throw. R1 went straight in standing up, yes. There was no contact between F6 and R1.

judgment, of course, but I'd likely have two outs here, as you describe it.

16 hours ago, agdz59 said:

The throw was not hindered.  I called time, said I had INT at 2B and the BR was also out.

So I'm considering this my research.  🙂

EDIT: I note the game ending CWS FPSR violation also posted today.  My play was very similar except R1 did not hinder the catch or throw at 2B.

16 hours ago, agdz59 said:

The runner must slide legally or get out of the way, period. 

Is that not the case?

Yes, that's the case.

From your original description, the runner was not in the way. If there's any doubt about that, I'd call FPSR.

15 hours ago, agdz59 said:

From THIS further description, the runner seems to have been in the way and would need to peel off. This sounds as if F6 had to "play around" R1, and altering the play of a fielder is illegal. Sounds like FPSR.