Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2681 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

We are moving and SWMBO says I can't take all my umpiring library.  So, it's for sale.  Make an offer. (And, in addition to what is below, I have sports-related books on other sports -- ask if you are interested).

 

Rules Books, Case Books, Mechanics Manuals going back 20+ years – OBR, NCAA, FED.  Includes some years’ tests, FED Interps, and review guides.  I don’t want to go through it in detail to see what specifically I have (partly because it’s in separate piles at the moment, and some is in a cabinet I can’t get into right now), but it’s mostly complete.

 

Umpire Training Materials I put together when I was training youth umpires.  Would be good for someone else who is going to be in that position.

 

Two Umpiring Training Videos -- On is unlabeled , one has "Rules Made Easy" and "Umpirign Basics" -- I think these can onlyt be shown on a DVD player, and not on the computer (Or at least it needs some software that I don't seem to have)

 

Umpiring Reference Materials (most of the RefMag pamphlets are 60-90 pages; the Guidebooks are about 160 each)

1)      Baseball Game Intelligence – Ref Mag

2)      Plays That Trip You Up – Ref Mag

3)      Baseball Umpires Guidebook, Vols I (Proper Positioning) and II (Communications and Mechanics) – Ref Mag, 1996

4)      Rules for Umps –Stern – Ref Mag 2004

5)      Behind the Mask – Working the Plate in Baseball – Childress and RefMag, 1991

6)      NAPBL Umpiring Manual 1997

7)      Bill Kinnamon Umpire School (predecessor to Brinkman) – Student Materials 1982 (photocopied version)

8)      The Official Rules of Baseball – Nemac

9)      Take Charge Baseball Umpiring – Childress

10)   51 Ways to Ruin a Baseball Game – Childress

11)   You Be the Judge – An Introduction to Basic Umpiring Skills – 1986 (about 20 page pamphlet)

12)   The Umpire’s Handbook – Brinkman and Euchner

13)   Jaksa and Roder, Sixth Edition, 1995 (photocopied – I think I bought this and it came with an electronic version that I printed)

14)   MLBUM 2002

15)   Successful Sports Officiating – Ref Mag 1999 (about 160 pages – applies to all sports)

 

Umpire Stories

1)      The Men in Blue – Gerlack

2)      The Umpire Strikes Back – Luciano

3)      Strike Two – Luciano

4)      You’re Out and You’re Ugly, Too – Merrill

5)      Called Out but Safe – Al Clark

 

Fiction

1)      Every Young Man’s Dream – Frank

2)      The Conduct of the Game – Hough

3)      Out at Home – Pomeranz

4)      The Iowa Baseball Confederacy – Kinsella

5)      The Thrill of the Grass – Kinsella

6)      The Greatest Slump of All Time – Carkeet

 

Non-Fiction

1)      Red Smith (a famous newspaper columnist) On Baseball

2)      Oh, Baby, I Love It – Tim He-who-shall-not-be-named

3)      Weaver on Strategy – Earl Weaver

4)      Baseball Signs and Signals

5)      The Men of Autumn (1949-53 Yankees)

6)      Slick: My Life In and Around Baseball -- Whitey Ford

7)      Runs, Hits and Errors: A Treasury of Cub History and Humor

8)      The Cubbies – Quotations of the Chicago Cubs

9)      Ernie Harwell (long-time voice of the Tigers): Tuned to Baseball

10)   The Progress of the Seasons (Generally Red Sox related) -- Higgins

11)   How Life Imitates the World Series – Boswell

12)   Can’t Anybody Here Play this Game? (Mets’ First Season) – Breslin

13)   The Wrong Stuff – Bill “Spaceman” Lee

 

 

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I'll be interested in some of this. I'll post my list this evening - need to check my current library for books that I think I own already. Others are free to poach until then, though.

If you have anything for volleyball, let me know by PM (or here) -- I'll probably take those, too.

Posted
On 6/3/2019 at 8:39 AM, yawetag said:

I'll be interested in some of this.

 

3 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

I'll have to grab some of these i think.

Please let me know ASAP.  We are making a trip to the library this weekend to donate other books, and SWMBO will want to throw these in as well.

Posted
On 6/6/2019 at 11:38 AM, noumpere said:

A few items gone-- See first post for details.

 

Last call -- these go to the donation / recycling bin on Saturday.

More sold.  See first post.

 

I'm not surprised by what has sold, but I am a little surprised that nothing from the fiction or non-fiction has sold.  In the latter, I get it if you are not a fan of the team involved, but I expected some to be fans of some of those teams.


×
×
  • Create New...